[First Project] Nocturne by Frank Swinnerton

tadra...@gmail.com

May 6, 2022, 2:13:05 PM5/6/22
to Standard Ebooks
I would like to work on Nocturne by Frank Swinnerton as my first project. It is not on the wanted list, but it appears to be a reasonable first project. I read and enjoyed this book many years ago, and I even have a 1917 version I picked up at a library sale.

There are multiple scans on Archive.org. This one appears to match my printed copy: https://archive.org/details/nocturne00swinuoft

The book appears to be about 56,000 words before cutting out all the Gutenberg stuff that needs to be removed.

The Gutenberg text seems to include the italics from the print edition, which are often single words the author has emphasized.

The book includes an Introduction (by H.G. Wells, a friend of the author) and has three named parts (Evening, Night, Morning). The chapters all have names and are numbered consecutively I through XII across the three parts. Within each chapter, there are also subdivisions labeled with small Roman numerals (i, ii, iii, etc.) which don't have names.

A quick skim doesn't show any poetry or other odd elements. Wells' introduction includes a couple of quotes.

Swinnerton, who died in 1982 at age 98, doesn't seem to be much in print these days, but I hope this isn't too obscure to add to the Standard Ebooks LIbrary.

Alex Cabal

May 6, 2022, 4:53:55 PM5/6/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great, that one would be a good start. It sounds like you have a good
grasp of what needs to be done. Subchapters will have their own
because we don't want them in the ToC.

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)

On 5/6/22 1:13 PM, tadra...@gmail.com wrote:
> I would like to work on /Nocturne/ by Frank Swinnerton as my first
> project. It is not on the wanted list, but it appears to be a reasonable
> first project. I read and enjoyed this book many years ago, and I even
> have a 1917 version I picked up at a library sale.
>
> Text: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15177
>
> Author info: Frank Arthur Swinnerton - Wikipedia
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Arthur_Swinnerton>
>
> There are multiple scans on Archive.org. This one appears to match my
> printed copy: https://archive.org/details/nocturne00swinuoft
>
> The book appears to be about 56,000 words before cutting out all the
> Gutenberg stuff that needs to be removed.
>
> The Gutenberg text seems to include the italics from the print edition,
> which are often single words the author has emphasized.
>
> The book includes an Introduction (by H.G. Wells, a friend of the
> author) and has three named parts (Evening, Night, Morning). The
> chapters all have names and are numbered consecutively I through XII
> across the three parts. Within each chapter, there are also subdivisions
> labeled with small Roman numerals (i, ii, iii, etc.) which don't have names.
>
> A quick skim doesn't show any poetry or other odd elements. Wells'
> introduction includes a couple of quotes.
>
> Swinnerton, who died in 1982 at age 98, doesn't seem to be much in print
> these days, but I hope this isn't too obscure to add to the Standard
> Ebooks LIbrary.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0dae7077-03f3-4c4f-bb58-d4251d05edfbn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0dae7077-03f3-4c4f-bb58-d4251d05edfbn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

tadra...@gmail.com

May 6, 2022, 8:31:25 PM5/6/22
to Standard Ebooks
My repository is:  tad09000/frank-swinnerton_nocturne (github.com)

But I already have two Initial commits--and I can't figure out how to just clear everything out and start over.

Jason DeCock

May 7, 2022, 5:16:30 PM5/7/22
to Standard Ebooks
If you really want to start over, the easiest way is to just delete the repository in GitHub. After it's deleted, GitHub will let you create a new one with the same name and url.

tadra...@gmail.com

May 7, 2022, 6:54:44 PM5/7/22
to Standard Ebooks
I have deleted it multiple times. But when I upload it again from my hard drive, it still shows two commits. I have been using GitHub Desktop as well as the web version, and this may be part of the problem. The instructions provided online for creating a Standard Ebook don't provide enough info for someone starting out with GitHub. So it looks like I need to educate myself on that first.

Vince

May 7, 2022, 7:27:34 PM5/7/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Git is a distributed version control system, so uploading it to GitHub is just duplicating your local repository. It’s your local repository that has two initial commits in it, and that’s where you’ll have to fix it, either by deleting the second commit, or by starting over. Whatever you do, you might want to make a copy of the repository, so you can get it back if you change your mind on the below steps.

You can start over by just deleting the folder and starting afresh with a new se create-draft.

However, if it’s just the second commit that’s the problem (i.e. the first one is OK), there are a few ways to do it. (You can find them by searching for “git delete last commit”).
If you want to just delete the commit, but keep the changes that were made in the commit so you can look at them and see if they need to be in a different commit, you want to do a soft reset.
git reset --soft HEAD^

If you want to delete the commit and the changes that were made in it, you want to do a hard reset.
git reset --hard HEAD^

As you noted, our instructions assume the ability to use the command-line (e.g. the shell, git, etc.) in whatever OS you’re using the tools in. So it’s not so much GitHub as git itself that you will want to learn. That is not too difficult, it will just take a little time. (Several of us here, including me, didn’t know anything about git before we got started with SE, either.)

There are lots of git tutorials out there. I don’t have a favorite (I used many), but others here might.

tadra...@gmail.com

May 11, 2022, 3:18:16 PM5/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
Just to let you know I got past the Initial Commit problem. I'm now going SLOWLY through the steps leading to the second commit. Running se split-file gave me 16 chapter files. However, the first is the Introduction and three of the others just contain the headers for the three parts of the novel. I have proceeded to clean up each of these files, such as fixing instances of ALL CAPS. Questions:
1) Are these the correct files I should have at this point, or do any of them need to be re-combined?
2) Do I leave the .xhtml filenames as they are? Do they serve to keep things in order for the final production?
3) It looks like I need to edit the 3 parts and the 12 actual chapters to follow the pattern in Section 7.1.5.1 of the manual. Is this correct, and if so, is it done manually?
4) Do I edit the Introduction (chapter1.xhmtl now) to follow the example in manual section 7.2.10.9, except using "introduction" instead of "preface"?

That's all I have for now. I have also been reading my physical copy of the book--which matches the page scans--and noting a few possible corrections, but I'll batch these up to deal with later.

Vince

May 11, 2022, 4:24:55 PM5/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
First, overall, you should become very familiar with the manual—it answers almost all of your questions. :)

#1 and #2—Section 2 of the manual, it discusses the names of the files, the id’s of the files, etc. SEMOS 9.2 covers the spine, which controls the reading order of the files.
#3. Yes and yes.
#4. I don’t know which scans you’re using, but the ones I saw have “Introduction” as a title, if so, you would use a pattern that has a title, not one that doesn’t, e.g. 7.2.10.2.
#5. Yes, see SEMOS 4.1.2.1 (and 4.1.2.2 for the non-emphasis italics).

I also noticed a dedication in the scans; if present, you would need a file for that as well. See SEMOS 7.3 for the formatting, CSS, etc.