Slow entities pickling for caching purposes

Александр Егоров

Oct 10, 2019, 2:48:00 AM10/10/19
to sqlalchemy
Hello!

I want to cache query results in a distributed cache (Redis), so I need to serialize/deserialize fetched entities very fast.
However, it turned that SQLAlchemy entities are very heavy for pickle to dump/load. Regular classes and dicts with the same structure takes significantly less amount of time to reconstruct from bytes.
It's even slower than fetching and mapping the entities from a database.

Here are benchmark results, loading 10000 simple entities:

class Entity(Base):
    __tablename__
= 'test_entity'
    id = sa.Column(sa.Integer, primary_key=True, autoincrement=True)
    field1
= sa.Column(sa.String)
    field2
= sa.Column(sa.Integer)

Name (time in ms)                      Median            StdDev           Dump bytes
test_unpickle_dicts
2.3764 (1.0)      0.0797 (1.09)      337806
test_unpickle_dataclasses
9.2546 (3.89)     0.0734 (1.0)       437861
test_unpickle_classes
9.4188 (3.96)     0.1230 (1.68)      437862
test_load_from_database
91.3482 (38.44)    0.6686 (9.10)
test_unpickle_unsaved_entities
108.6726 (45.73)    0.5154 (7.02)     1448169
test_unpickle_persisted_entities
166.4531 (70.04)    0.3787 (5.16)     1697849

Environment:
OS: Ubuntu 16.04
Python: CPython 3.6.3
SQLAlchemy: 1.3.0
Database: in-memory SQLite, PostgreSQL (all gives similar results)
The full benchmark code is in a single attachment file.
To run:
pytest test_ser.py --benchmark-columns=median,stddev --benchmark-disable-gc
Requirements:
pip install sqlalchemy==1.3.0 pytest==3.6.0 pytest-benchmark==3.1.1 dataclasses==0.6

Questions:
1) What strategy for caching I should consider while using SQLAlchemy? Currently, the only option I see is to have a duplicated declaration of entities in a form of simple classes and use it when I don't need modification. Needles to say, it's a lot of code duplication.
2) Is it possible to have a read-only loader in SQLAlchemy? I can imagine mapping loaded data to an entity class but without instrumentation overhead which is not needed to read the data.
If continue the idea further, I can imagine a situation when I load the entity for modification, and it has a read-only relationship to another entity. So that I don't pay for things I don't use.

Probably I'm making some crazy things and all wrong, feel free to point me out. My ultimate goal is to manage caching with SQLAlchemy and understand SQLAlchemy more in this direction.
Thank you in advance!
test_sqla_pickle.py

Mike Bayer

Oct 10, 2019, 1:34:03 PM10/10/19
to noreply-spamdigest via sqlalchemy
Hi there -

there's no simple answer for this, have you considered writing your own serializer for your objects rather than using pickle's default strategy?  that is, if you implement __getstate__ and __setstate__,  you can allow the serialization to not include the "_sa_instance_state" that's associated with the objects which is where you'd get some of the slowness on dumping / loading, it also would save lots of memory / network overhead by not storing lots of data that you can probably forego for storing in your cache.

For bringing the classes back,  you can implement a setstate that returns them as non-ORM classes, or patches them in as ORM classes.

I've altered your test to include only ORM mapped classes, comparing your baseline to one that uses __getstate__, and then several variants which will grant more or less ORM functionality once you have unpickled them.    the very fastest one which omits any ORM functionality at all, and looks like what you propose, has a mean of 26 ms compared to 380 ms for the most expensive.

there's one ORM-level guarantee you would want me to add for this most optimized version, that is if you have an ORM object that has no _sa_instance_state at all, you can still access attributes on it.  This works but I would want to add test support so that I keep this as a supported use case.

--
SQLAlchemy -

To post example code, please provide an MCVE: Minimal, Complete, and Verifiable Example. See http://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve for a full description.

Attachments:
  • test_sqla_pickle.py

test3.py

Jonathan Vanasco

Oct 10, 2019, 1:39:45 PM10/10/19
to sqlalchemy
1) What strategy for caching I should consider while using SQLAlchemy? Currently, the only option I see is to have a duplicated declaration of entities in a form of simple classes and use it when I don't need modification. Needles to say, it's a lot of code duplication.

I cache SqlAlchemy objects into Redis by turning them into normal dicts first (iterating over the columns), and saving the dicts into Redis via msgpack and `dogpile.cache`.  Dogpile is great, because you can use it as a read-through cache -- a cache miss will load the info from SqlAlchemy direct.  The dicts are then loaded from Redis, and injected into a generic class that overrides __get__ to offer a a 'dotted attribute' style syntax.  After a while, we extended that caching layer to load related cached objects from Redis; the columns and relations to be used in the cache are managed in our SqlAlchemy class declarations too.

99% of our application uses the read-through Redis cache. Only write and permission/auth-based operations will use SqlAlchemy objects.

Александр Егоров

Oct 11, 2019, 5:23:03 AM10/11/19
to sqlalchemy
Thank you very much for your answers!

Some more questions
1) I see you use sa.inspect(self).dict in __getstate__. Is it safe to replace it with self.__dict__? I didn't find any difference in the result, but __dict__ works 30 times faster.
2) I'm going to implement __getstate__ and __setstate__ in a Base class. Is it a risky idea from your point of view?
3) We've greatly optimized the unpickling for read-only entities. Is it possible to do the same during loading from the database? When I read data, I don't need ORM state, because I'm not going to modify the data and don't want lazy loads.

Mike Bayer

Oct 11, 2019, 9:52:57 AM10/11/19

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019, at 5:23 AM, Александр Егоров wrote:
Thank you very much for your answers!

Some more questions
1) I see you use sa.inspect(self).dict in __getstate__. Is it safe to replace it with self.__dict__? I didn't find any difference in the result, but __dict__ works 30 times faster.

there's no difference.   there's an old extension that allows objects to persist in some form other than __dict__ but I'm sure you're not using it.

2) I'm going to implement __getstate__ and __setstate__ in a Base class. Is it a risky idea from your point of view?

not really, pickle is already flaky enough

3) We've greatly optimized the unpickling for read-only entities. Is it possible to do the same during loading from the database? When I read data, I don't need ORM state, because I'm not going to modify the data and don't want lazy loads.

I would recommend using a plain result object from Query.statement or Core.statement and build up the objects yourself in that case.     the "ORM state" you refer towards is intrinsic to everything the ORM does including all the relationship loading, etc.    you'd need to re-implement all of that yourself.

Since your performance requirements appear to be well beyond the norm have you considered using pypy ?   This would appear to be a much simpler way to double or triple your performance without building your own ORM.

Alexander Egorov

Oct 12, 2019, 1:19:58 AM10/12/19
to sqlalchemy
I've considered manual queries and building classes by myself. This option is good in terms of performance, but it requires a lot of code duplication and kills code reuse. So I want to use the same mapper classes for both read and modify operations. Also, I want to have the same query description. I've tried to build classes using Query.values and calling constructor and it gave ~3 times boost. What I want is to have the same functionality in generic form, without need to manually write these loops. Pseudocode to illustrate my probably crazy idea:
session.query(Entity).all()  # loads entities with modification tracking, with _sa_instance_state filled and added to the session.
session
.query(Entity).readonly().all()  # loads entities without modification tracking, without _sa_instance_state and not added to the session.

# Probably it would be useful in cases when the Entity has a read-only link to another entity via relationship.
session
.query(Entity).options(sa.orm.joinedload(Entity.another_entity, readonly_mapping=True)).get(123)

PyPy is an option I'm considering too. Its pickle module seems to be significantly slower, however. I need 3.6 version which is in beta now, so I have to wait.
Name (time in ms)                     PyPy 3.5           CPython 3.6.3
test_unpickle_dicts                   12.2969 (1.0)      2.3764
test_load_from_database               26.4408 (2.15)    91.3482
test_unpickle_classes                 30.7339 (2.50)     9.4188