Wbimport from Excel

Maurizio Scarpis

Aug 30, 2022, 11:02:06 AM8/30/22
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
Hi Thomas.
I have a problem when importing strings that contain "big" numbers from Excel, also if these cells are formatted as "text".
wbimport seems to read data not according to cell format.
If I convert xlsx file to csv it is all OK.
I suppose this is not a problem related to Informix (the DB I use) but to the wbimport function.
You will find in the attachments:
1) the script used (.sql file)
2) the Excel file
3) the CSV file
Thanks in advance
PS: SQL-WB/J version is 127.6, Java version is 14.0.2(64 bit)
test0.csv
test0.xlsx
test0.sql

Thomas Kellerer

Sep 1, 2022, 12:37:29 PM9/1/22
to sql-wo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

hmm, this does seem to be related to the database.
With Postgres the value "999000999" is stored exactly like that in the database.

However, when I check the information returned from the Excel library I use (Apache POI), the type of that column is reported as "numeric" and thus the value is read as such.

Maybe I can use the cell's format string to detect situations like that. I will have a look.

Regards
Thomas

Maurizio Scarpis

Sep 2, 2022, 11:37:16 AM9/2/22
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
I forgot to write to you that this behaviour seems to happen sometimes and not always; I was not able to understand the cause of the wrong cases
Regards
Maurizio

Thomas Kellerer

Sep 6, 2022, 3:34:09 AM9/6/22
to sql-wo...@googlegroups.com
I have added a fix (workaround) for this in 128.4. If that also fails, you can try to use -stringNumbers=true (similar to -stringDates=true) that ignores the data type reported by the POI library and always reads numbers as strings (pretty much as it's done with CSV files)

Thomas

Maurizio Scarpis

Sep 6, 2022, 4:02:06 AM9/6/22
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
Hi Thomas.
Thanks for the fix. I will wait for 128.4 release.
Regards
Maurizio

Thomas Kellerer

Sep 6, 2022, 4:03:35 AM9/6/22
to sql-wo...@googlegroups.com
I published that yesterday.

Maurizio Scarpis

Sep 14, 2022, 3:43:19 AM9/14/22
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
Well done !
Test was OK!
Regards and ... thanks as usual
Maurizio