spyder 4 keeps crashing unexpectedly - how can I create a crash log?

Moritz Lürig

Dec 17, 2019, 11:05:24 AM12/17/19
to spyder
(Windows 10, new environment created for Spyder 4, no problems during installation)

During coding, the whole IDE just freezes up, and I can only resolve this through killing the python process. To narrow in on the issue, I would like to be able to retrieve a crash log, but when I restart spyder through the console it's as if nothing happened (except the very recent change is lost). How would I record what's going on here?

Moritz Lürig

Dec 27, 2019, 10:37:17 PM12/27/19
to spyder
hey this keeps happening - and it's incredibly annoying.

how can create a crash report or log my activity?

Josh Johnstone

Feb 4, 2020, 9:20:08 PM2/4/20
to spyder
I'm also experiencing this issue. I'm using Spyder 4.0.1, Windows 10. Every 1-2 hours, the IDE locks up and I have to kill the process. I haven't been able to get a crash log. The time and frustration of killing and restarting Spyder (and sometimes even Anaconda) and recovering my recent progress is really slowing down development.

Dan Codiga

Feb 5, 2020, 5:59:38 PM2/5/20
to spyder
Similar experience here. Windows 10.

I'm still using Spyder 3 because of it. Would like to be able to upgrade to Spyder 4, for its new features, but it just hasn't been stable enough yet.

Isaac Baum

Feb 13, 2020, 10:54:01 AM2/13/20
to spyder
Same Here. It's all so tiresome.

Carlos Córdoba

Feb 13, 2020, 10:56:02 AM2/13/20
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This problem should be fixed in Spyder 4.1.0, to be released in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Carlos

Moritz Lürig

Feb 13, 2020, 11:15:04 AM2/13/20
to spyder
thanks Carlos for staying at it, looking forward to the fix. I still can't tell which behavior is triggering the crashes, or whether it's project specific

dunno if it's related, but I also noticed that spyder doesn't update the warnings in the script pane, e.g. if created objects "are never used" or "haven't been defined yet". even if I fix it, they are still there and only dissappear if I close and open the script.

On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 11:05:24 AM UTC-5, Moritz Lürig wrote:
(Windows 10, new environment created for Spyder 4, no problems during installation)

During coding, the whole IDE just freezes up, and I can only resolve this through killing the python process. To narrow in on the issue, I would like to be able to retrieve a crash log, but when I restart spyder through the console it's as if nothing happened (except the very recent change is lost). How would I record what's going on here?

Martin Volpacchio

Feb 13, 2020, 1:53:17 PM2/13/20
to spyd...@googlegroups.com

The same happens to me. I went back to the previous version (3.3.6)  because I couldn't fix it. The spyder 4 every 2 or 3 hours unexpectedly crashed and had to restart losing the run until this moment.

I'm also experiencing this issue. I'm using Spyder 4.0.1, Windows 10. Every 1-2 hours, the IDE locks up and I have to kill the process” → idem to me

Best Regards

Richa Sharma

Feb 26, 2020, 7:45:32 PM2/26/20
to spyder
Could anyone find any solution to this? I am facing the same issue! it keeps crashing!

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 12:53:17 PM UTC-6, Martin Volpacchio wrote:

The same happens to me. I went back to the previous version (3.3.6)  because I couldn't fix it. The spyder 4 every 2 or 3 hours unexpectedly crashed and had to restart losing the run until this moment.

I'm also experiencing this issue. I'm using Spyder 4.0.1, Windows 10. Every 1-2 hours, the IDE locks up and I have to kill the process” → idem to me

Best Regards

Moritz Lürig

Apr 1, 2020, 11:29:57 AM4/1/20
to spyder
Since upgrading to 4.1, I get the error message "Completion and linting in the editor [...] stopped working. To fix this verify that your firewall or antivirus allows Python processes in your system [...]."

It occurs at similar intervals as as the freezing events below, and since I never saw this before (did this get added with the recent version?), I assume this was the cause of the freezes - anybody got the same msgs?

Now, I don't know how to deal with it, I'll post a separate question.

Carlos Córdoba

Apr 1, 2020, 11:42:07 AM4/1/20
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There's no need to post a separate question. A lot of people already reported the same problem and we release a fix for it in our 4.1.2, to be ready later today or tomorrow.

Cheers,
Carlos

Moritz Lürig

Apr 12, 2020, 5:27:27 PM4/12/20
to spyder
4.1.2 solved it - seemed indeed to have been the linting/code completion engine. Now spyder 4 really shines...!

Carlos Córdoba

Apr 12, 2020, 6:01:09 PM4/12/20
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Great to know Moritz!! We put a lot of effort in 4.1.2 to fix that problem.

Cheers,
Carlos