Run Package written in python-2.7 into Python-3.7

Savin Beniwal

Sep 22, 2019, 6:17:37 PM9/22/19
to spyder
Hey All

I have a query regarding Python-2.x and Python-3.x. Currently, I'm working with statistical technics in cosmology called the Gaussian Process. For this, I'm using a python package GaPP [Link]. This package was written in python-2.x. When I run this in my python-3.7. Gives me the following error:

ImportError: cannot import name 'dgp' from 'gapp' (/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gapp/__init__.py)

That means this is not working with python 3.7 directly. I want to know is there any way to run this package in Python-3.7? Because
Python 2.7 will retire in Dec 2019, but I have to work later also with that. Please help me to fix this package into python-3.7

I am eagerly waiting for your reply.
With Regards!!!

Derek

Sep 24, 2019, 2:04:57 AM9/24/19
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
One suggestion would be to contact the author and ask for an update. Given its a university project, there is a good chance it won't have been.

In that case, because its licensed under GNU, you should be able to upload a copy onto GitHub.  Then fork that copy and create a new Python 3 compatible version.  This is how FOSS works - "stand on the shoulders of giants".

Savin Beniwal

Sep 25, 2019, 9:06:40 AM9/25/19
to spyder
Ok Derek.
I'll try to connect with their author or try to update myself.
Thank you for your reply.