[ANN] Spyder 5.1.5 is released!

Carlos Córdoba

Sep 15, 2021, 10:07:56 PM9/15/21
to spyder

Hi all,

On the behalf of the Spyder Project Contributors, I’m pleased to announce that Spyder 5.1.5 has been released and is available for Windows, GNU/Linux and MacOS X: https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/releases

This release comes three days after version 5.1.4 and it contains the following important fixes:

  • Fix docking of external plugins.

In this release we fixed 1 issue and merged 3 pull requests that amount to more than 20 commits. For a full list of fixes, please see our Changelog.

Don’t forget to follow Spyder updates/news on the project’s website.

Last, but not least, we welcome any contribution that helps making Spyder an efficient scientific development and computing environment. Join us to help creating your favorite environment!

Enjoy!
Carlos

Zbigniew Jachimowicz

Sep 16, 2021, 3:53:35 AM9/16/21
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
I AM SURPRISED OF WHAT THE "SPIDER" PROGRAMMERS DO. They think up something and publish it without checking. MICROSOFT DOES ITSELF, RELEASING ANOTHER VERSIONS OF WINDOWS. ONLY USERS HAVE TO CHECK WHAT'S WORKING AND WHAT'S NOT. Was he a good idea or not for anything.
Best Regards  Zbych

Kiko

Sep 16, 2021, 4:12:24 AM9/16/21
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
> I AM SURPRISED OF WHAT THE "SPIDER" PROGRAMMERS DO. They think up something
> and publish it without checking. MICROSOFT DOES ITSELF, RELEASING ANOTHER
> VERSIONS OF WINDOWS. ONLY USERS HAVE TO CHECK WHAT'S WORKING AND WHAT'S
> NOT. Was he a good idea or not for anything.

Spyder is 100% FREE and OPEN source; there is NO PAID version or
prohibition on commercial use. It is developed by its international
USER community, and supported by its users through OpenCollective and
by its generous sponsoring organizations, including Quansight and
NumFOCUS. Our source code, standalone installers and most of our
distribution methods (Pip/PyPI, Linux distros, MacPorts, WinPython,
etc) can be freely redistributed, used and modified by anyone, for any
purpose, including commercial use.

If you want to improve the situation you could consider donating
https://opencollective.com/spyder/

> Best Regards Zbych
>
> czw., 16 wrz 2021 o 04:07 Carlos Córdoba <ccord...@gmail.com> napisał(a):
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> On the behalf of the Spyder Project Contributors
>> <https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/graphs/contributors>, I’m pleased
>> to announce that Spyder *5.1.5* has been released and is available for
>> Windows, GNU/Linux and MacOS X:
>> https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/releases
>>
>> This release comes three days after version 5.1.4 and it contains the
>> following important fixes:
>>
>> - Fix docking of external plugins.
>>
>> In this release we fixed 1 issue and merged 3 pull requests that amount
>> more than 20 commits. For a full list of fixes, please see our Changelog
>> <https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/blob/5.x/CHANGELOG.md>.
>>
>> Don’t forget to follow Spyder updates/news on the project’s website
>> <https://www.spyder-ide.org>.
>>
>> Last, but not least, we welcome any contribution that helps making Spyder
>> an efficient scientific development and computing environment. Join us to
>> help creating your favorite environment!
>>
>> Enjoy!
>> Carlos
>> ​
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/spyderlib/a546a347-2792-43fa-aeaf-020c39db4211%40gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/spyderlib/a546a347-2792-43fa-aeaf-020c39db4211%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/spyderlib/CAG-5EvJZMeE3C39Gr%3DTBq6N6enYVJCDLdtTjE2sLFFwz7QqSCQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Björn Johansson

Sep 16, 2021, 5:44:42 AM9/16/21
to spyder
Well said!

Zbigniew Jachimowicz

Sep 16, 2021, 9:39:38 AM9/16/21
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
And I understand it. But is there anyone who coordinates the Spider project and checks before publishing if the change in the program works well with the whole thing? Such quick publication of new versions suggests that there is no such person.

Kiko

Sep 16, 2021, 11:52:53 AM9/16/21
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
> And I understand it. But is there anyone who coordinates the Spider project
> and checks before publishing if the change in the program works well with
> the whole thing? Such quick publication of new versions suggests that there
> is no such person.

I think you do not understand how software development and open source
works. These people, these heroes, have to test everything against
windows7, windows8, windows10, linux, MacOS, with different versions
of python (3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 3.10b), depending on third party libs
like Qt with python bindings, integration with IPython, with
profilers, linters,... Most of them (us) do it for free during its
free time. And yes, sometimes things are not perfect...

Your comment don't solve the issues. Your comment discourage people to
share. What would be helpful would be to share your comments in a
constructive way, to support them with money or with code/time fixing
bugs, communicating new bugs, teaching others how amazing is Spyder
(IT IS AMAZING), etc.

You are receiving everything this community can offer for free. I
repeat, for free. This community would be extremely grateful if you
are part of it sharing their values.

KR,
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/spyderlib/7c72fc96-b932-4248-9011-626c4ae1bb7en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/spyderlib/CAG-5EvJUNmLGZkgQGBPBsjpzhkMhhHLxz81krjYqP6WSEgiUiA%40mail.gmail.com.

Zbigniew Jachimowicz

Sep 16, 2021, 12:35:48 PM9/16/21
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
I admire the people who create Open Source software. And it was not my intention to discourage them from doing so. I want to make them aware that the effect of their work would be much better appreciated if there weren't so many mistakes. Maybe it's better to test the software longer and release it less often. Sometimes you get the impression that frequent news releases are a kind of racing, it is not known with whom.

Regards Zbych

Kiko

Sep 16, 2021, 1:23:36 PM9/16/21
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
> I admire the people who create Open Source software. And it was not my
> intention to discourage them from doing so. I want to make them aware that
> the effect of their work would be much better appreciated if there weren't
> so many mistakes. Maybe it's better to test the software longer and release
> it less often. Sometimes you get the impression that frequent news releases
> are a kind of racing, it is not known with whom.

This is what they do but sometimes there are critical bugs that need a
quick fix. As I said, software development is quite complex and it has
many layers and it has to be tested in many different environments and
we are humans and imperfect (and it is ok). Sometimes, these
developers do not have a Mac to test some stuff and sometimes changing
this has unexpected behaviour in other place and sometimes it is a
third party lib that changed whatever and you do not control it. For
sure, nobody wants to infuriate you :-)

Here you have the repo: https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder
You can see there that more than 170 people from all over the world
have contributed with code, more people have contributed reporting
issues, proposing enhancements,, providing financial support, helping
others in the mail list, forums, stackoverflow,... In the link you can
see there are windows tests, MacOS tests, Linux tests,... And
sometimes, testing a Graphical User interface is tricky. As you can
see, it is not an easy task.

I've been using Spyder during a lot of time. I have paid licenses for
other IDEs and tested other (free or not) IDEs and Spyder is my
preferred IDE to develop scientific python. It is a(n imperfect) piece
of art.

You are angry because something is not perfect and it is right to have
an opinion. I just want to provide some context and discuss about that
with some context.

KR,
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/spyderlib/7c72fc96-b932-4248-9011-626c4ae1bb7en%40googlegroups.com
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/spyderlib/7c72fc96-b932-4248-9011-626c4ae1bb7en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

>> > --
>> > an
>> > email to spyderlib+...@googlegroups.com.
>> >
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/spyderlib/CAG-5EvJUNmLGZkgQGBPBsjpzhkMhhHLxz81krjYqP6WSEgiUiA%40mail.gmail.com
>> .
>> >

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/spyderlib/CAB-sx61sx%2BynDNGtmk5QVFOOStiC3Hhm4dpaRneSVD1WJ1aAOg%40mail.gmail.com
>> .

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/spyderlib/CAG-5EvKFhVRFjKhMbmgiZf_UvCrT3tL4wAhFd4BrwQ08xA1_Sg%40mail.gmail.com.

f.ober...@googlemail.com

Sep 16, 2021, 2:18:40 PM9/16/21
to spyder
I was wondering about the release policy of the Spyder project lately as well - releases seem to have gotten more frequent (including "post-fixes"). But the important point to me is that there are versions that run fine on the platforms I use and have all I need. So the easiest thing to do in my opinion is: don't just upgrade for upgrading's sake. It's not Windows, nobody forces you. Upgrade if you want to try a new feature. Upgrade if it's an important security fix. I'm pretty satisfied with that strategy.

So Spyder-team, keep up the good work!

cheers

Philip Yip

Sep 17, 2021, 2:57:19 AM9/17/21
to spyder
The Spyder team have made amazing progress over the last couple of years going from Spyder 3 to Spyder 5. The Python programming language is very dynamic and has a multitude of data science libraries, many which the Spyder variable explorer is the only IDE that can be used to visualise the data. Also GUI programming is difficult. A bug may appear on Linux that doesn't appear on Windows and so on. For example the Spyder icon sizes don't scale in Linux when a large DPI scaling (>100 %) is used on Linux but scales fine on Windows likely due to differences in the way QT5 is working on the OS.

Spyder has a wide userbase and people are using it for a variety of purposes with different libraries and plugins. On GitHub the number of bug submissions being flagged and addressed is high and it is far better to have frequent releases addressing these bugs then a static version riddled with bugs that never gets updated and can never be used.

k2best herbal incense

Oct 7, 2021, 10:12:00 AM10/7/21
to spyder

I am new to the group but I have been working with spyder and python for several years now and never had this issue. I hope this is the right place and I am sorry if the solution is found somewhere else. I tried doing some searching but couldnt find anything, possibly because I didnt know where to start searching.

Problem Description

When my graphics backend is set to inline under Preferences->IPython Console->Graphics->Graphics Backend, Then everything works like it should. However, if I change the graphics backend to anything other than inline my code will not run. The console will show my code is trying to run but will act as if it is in a loop. No errors will occur, the console will just sit there with nothing happening.

I do not think it is not code related because this happens with ANY script I run. Even something as simple as,
import numpy as np
print(np.pi)

I have the same setup (spyder, python, and QT versions) on my home desktop (Windows 10, maybe Windows 10 Pro has something to do with it?) and I have never had this issue. This problem is occuring on my university lab computer. I would like to be able to have the plots be generated with Qt5.

What steps reproduce the problem?
  1. Changing the graphics backend to Qt5
  2. Changing the graphics backend to Tnker

Samuel Gasster

Nov 1, 2021, 2:40:13 PM11/1/21
to spyder
I received the update notice when I started spyder today (part of my Anaconda install).  I followed the instructions for using CLI conda install and encountering a lot of problems.
It seem hung-up and I'm not sure if I should "CTRL-C" or not?  Any advice?

conda install spyder=5.1.5
Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: failed with repodata from current_repodata.json, will retry with next repodata source.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): - WARNING conda.models.version:get_matcher(537): Using .* with relational operator is superfluous and deprecated and will be removed in a future version of conda. Your spec was 4.*, but conda is ignoring the .* and treating it as 4
done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: |
Found conflicts! Looking for incompatible packages.
This can take several minutes.  Press CTRL-C to abort.
Examining conflict for pygments ipython simplegeneric boto sortedcollections pyrsistent msgpack-python soupsieve open| ..... still thinking

TIA -- Sam

Carlos Córdoba

Nov 1, 2021, 2:49:29 PM11/1/21
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Samuel,

Please see my answer in StackOverflow to solve this problem

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/69704561/cannot-update-spyder-5-1-5-on-new-anaconda-install

Cheers,
Carlos