[ANN] Spyder 5.5.1 is released!

Carlos Córdoba

Feb 13, 2024, 8:55:32 PMFeb 13
to spyder

Hi all,

On the behalf of the Spyder Project Contributors, I’m pleased to announce that Spyder 5.5.1 has been released and is available for Windows, GNU/Linux and MacOS X: https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/releases

This release comes three months after version 5.5.0 and it contains the following new features and important fixes:

  • Publish a new standalone installer for macOS computers with M1 chips.
  • Add support to format selections with Black.
  • Fix several errors when trying to detect if a new Spyder version is available.
  • Fix using the Tkinter backend in our macOS application.

In this release we fixed 10 issues and merged 20 pull requests that amount to more than 50 commits. For a full list of fixes, please see our Changelog.

Don’t forget to follow Spyder updates/news on the project’s website.

Last, but not least, we welcome any contribution that helps making Spyder an efficient scientific development and computing environment. Join us to help creating your favorite environment!

Enjoy!
Carlos

Fausto A. A. Barbuto

Feb 25, 2024, 2:03:07 PMFeb 25
to spyd...@googlegroups.com

I see people is working very hard to turn Spyder, once the finest Python IDE hands down, into a piece of bloatware. It now takes an awful lot of time to start and load all its modules, kernels &c - it's exasperating (my computer has 40 GB of RAM, what seems to be insufficient for Spyder to feel happy). And, lately, it is not updating, too. A couple of minutes after Spyder decides to finally load all its stuff, a pop-up window pops up, announcing a new (5.5.1) Spyder version. I accept the update by hitting "Yes" and "Yes", but nothing happens. I might as well accept the update after closing Spyder, but once again nothing happens if I select this alternative.

When I press "Yes" twice (straightforward updating option), a 3rd pop-up window flashes very, very briefly. I cannot read whatever it is written in it, but it's obviously an error message.

Fausto

Fausto A. A. Barbuto

Feb 26, 2024, 1:09:01 PMFeb 26
to Florian Obersteiner, spyd...@googlegroups.com

Hello, Florian;

1. Operating system: Windows 11 Home, 40 GB RAM
2. Spyder was installed via an installer. I don't keep any useless conda clutter on my machine.
3. 01:28 (1 minute, 28 secs) to show the interface plus 20 secs to load the kernel, all carefully timed.
    Is this an awful lot of time or what?

Extras:
4. I assume mine is a bare-bones installation, with a few native or no plugins at all. Well, at least I
don't remember having pulled any.
5. I'm not exactly a sucker for Spyder updates, as I have stubbed my toe at least once after one.
This time, however, I decided to update and it failed. First time it did fail, but I'm afraid this might
become a pattern.
6. I have also observed that, if I exit Spyder and run it again right away, it loads in ~10 seconds or
so (didn't clock it this time). This is as remarkable as odd. Does Spyder leave anything loaded in
memory after exiting?

I agree in that Spyder is still pretty usable, but who knows what the future holds for Spyder?

Fausto

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:57 AM Florian Obersteiner <f.ober...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Dear Fausto,

could you please provide some more details?

  • what operating system are you using, how do you install Spyder?
  • what means "an awful lot of time"?
    • for reference, on my T16 notebook / i5-1240P / 16 GB RAM, Spyder 5.51 takes ~8s to start on Linux/Wayland in a Python 3.12 environment (Wayland isn't even officially supported I think)
    • I'm only using the spyder-vim plugin, no other plugins
    • 8s isn't *fast*; I have Neovim up and ready in less than a second
    • RAM usage isn't exactly lean either, Spyder uses ~800 MB initially
    • VSCodium for comparison takes around 2-3 seconds to start and uses ~100 MB RAM initially on the same machine
take all those numbers with a grain of salt; my experience is that all this is very platform- (and platform-config) dependent... But the relative number should be somewhat useful. All in all, I find Spyder still pretty usable. I use it for convenience (features like the variable explorer), and low configuration requirements.

cheers,
Florian