[ANN] Spyder 4.0 is released!

Carlos Córdoba

Dec 6, 2019, 6:22:47 PM12/6/19
to spyder

Hi all,

On the behalf of the Spyder Project Contributors, I’m pleased to announce that Spyder 4.0 has been released and is available for Windows, GNU/Linux and MacOS X: https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/releases

This release represents more than three years of development since version 3.0 was released, and it introduces major enhancements and new features. The most important ones are:

  • Main Window

    • Dark theme for the entire application.
    • A new Plots pane to browse all inline figures generated by the IPython console.
    • Rename the following panes:
      • Static code analysis to Code Analysis
      • File explorer to Files
      • Find in files to Find
      • History log to History
      • Project explorer to Project
    • Create a separate window when undocking all panes.
    • Show current conda environment (if any) in the status bar.
  • Editor

    • Code folding.
    • Indentation guides.
    • A class/method/function lookup panel. This can be shown in the menu Source > Show selector for classes and functions.
    • Autosave functionality to recover unsaved files after a crash.
    • Optional integration with the Kite completion engine.
    • Code completion and linting are provided by the Python Language Server.
  • IPython Console

    • Run files in an empty namespace.
    • Open dedicated consoles for Pylab, Sympy and Cython.
    • Run cells through a new function called runcell.
    • Run cells by name.
  • Debugger

    • Code completion.
    • Execute multi-line statements.
    • Syntax highlighting.
    • Permanent history.
    • runfile and runcell can be called when the debugger is active.
    • Debug cells with Alt+Shift+Return.
  • Variable Explorer

    • New viewer to inspect any Python object in a tree-like representation.
    • Filter variables by name or type.
    • MultiIndex support in the Dataframe viewer.
    • Support for all Pandas indexes.
    • Support for sets.
    • Support for Numpy object arrays.
    • Restore the ability to refresh it while code is being executed.
  • Files

    • Associate external applications to open specific file extensions.
    • Context menu action to open files externally.
    • Multi-select functionality with Ctrl/Shift + mouse click.
    • Copy/paste files and their absolute or relative paths.
    • Use special icons for different file types.
  • Outline

    • Show cells grouped in sections.
    • Add default name to all cells.

For a complete list of changes, please see our changelog

Spyder 3.0 has been a huge success (being downloaded more than 2.5 million times in 2018 alone!) and we hope 4.0 will be as successful. For that we fixed 502 bugs, merged 741 pull requests from about 60 authors and added more than 5000 commits between these two releases.

Don’t forget to follow Spyder updates/news on the project’s website.

Last, but not least, we welcome any contribution that helps making Spyder an efficient scientific development/computing environment. Join us to help creating your favorite environment!

Enjoy!
Carlos

Stephen P. Molnar

Dec 7, 2019, 2:44:42 PM12/7/19
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
My system is Debian Buster. Problems were encountered during the installation of 4.0.0.

comp@AbNormal:~/Apps/Anaconda3/bin$ spyder
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 2120, resource id: 11069283, major code: 40 (TranslateCoords), minor code: 0

comp@AbNormal:~/Apps/Anaconda3/bin$

The installation log is attached.

On 12/06/2019 06:22 PM, Carlos C??rdoba wrote:

Hi all,

On the behalf of the Spyder Project Contributors, I???m pleased to announce that Spyder 4.0 has been released and is available for Windows, GNU/Linux and MacOS X: https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/releases

<...cut...>
--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
www.molecular-modeling.net

Install.spyder-4.0.0.log

Carlos Córdoba

Dec 7, 2019, 3:38:52 PM12/7/19
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Please create a different conda env for Spyder 4 or reinstall Anaconda and update to our latest version. I really don't where those conflicts are coming from.

Best,
Carlos

Stephen P. Molnar

Dec 7, 2019, 9:59:55 PM12/7/19
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Carlos

Thanks fop the guidance. I am not running Soyder 4.

Fantastic!!!!!!

Regards,

        Steve

Stephen P. Molnar

Dec 13, 2019, 7:06:54 PM12/13/19
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
I followed your suggestion, twice, and met with failure both times.

The installation log is attached.

InstallSpyder4.log