System asking for registration

gfn0920

Jun 27, 2020, 3:01:40 PM6/27/20
to springdale-users
I have installed Springdale in virtualbox on my personal laptop using the boot.iso.  When I start the system it asks me to register the system like I was running real Redhat.  Is this supposed to be happening?  I tried to remove librhsm but it also wants to remove dnf which is protected.

Thanks.
Jerry

JP

Jun 27, 2020, 3:04:49 PM6/27/20
to springdale-users
No, not supposed to. We actually keep only the minimum required from rhn stuff. What is it saying precisely?

JP

Predrag Punosevac

Jun 27, 2020, 3:07:43 PM6/27/20
to springda...@googlegroups.com
No sure what you mean by asking you to register the system. Do you mean
that you need to approve EULA (End-user license agreement)? I don't
recall seeing EULA on the last few installations I did with Springdale
8.2 but in the branch 7.xxx and 6.xxx definitely was there.

I think that is more of the artifacts that so few people work on
Springdale and that is so close to Red Hat proper that nobody really
cares.

Cheers,
Predrag

gfn0920

Jun 27, 2020, 6:47:08 PM6/27/20
to springdale-users
In gnome desktop a drop down appears that says:

System Not Registered
Please register your system to receive software updates
Register System....

Also I'm sure I accepted the EULA agreement during installation.

Thanks.
Jerry

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020, 15:01 gfn0920 <gfn...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have installed Springdale in virtualbox on my personal laptop using the boot.iso.  When I start the system it asks me to register the system like I was running real Redhat.  Is this supposed to be happening?  I tried to remove librhsm but it also wants to remove dnf which is protected.

Thanks.
Jerry

gfn0920

Jun 27, 2020, 6:53:20 PM6/27/20
to springdale-users
I failed to mention if I click on Register System the drop down goes away then immediately reappears.  If I click it again it's gone for that session and does not reappear until I reboot.  I was still able to update the system from the command line so everything is still usable, just a nuisance.

Thanks.
Jerry

Predrag Punosevac

Jun 27, 2020, 10:11:35 PM6/27/20
gfn0920 <gfn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In gnome desktop a drop down appears that says:
>
> System Not Registered

I personally have not seen that but to be honest only 2 out of 40+
workstations I manage at CMU run 8.2. I haven't had a chance to upgrade
the other stations from 7.8 due to Cov19 lockdown. Guys who are using
them were not complaining. I noticed that minimal server installation (I
did a dozen of those since late March) didn't require me even to accept
EULA.

On my personal desktops and laptops I run OpenBSD and use cwm so I
really can't help you.

Best,
Predrag

> Please register your system to receive software updates
> Register System....
>
> Also I'm sure I accepted the EULA agreement during installation.
>
> Thanks.
> Jerry
>
> On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 3:04:49 PM UTC-4, JP wrote:
> >
> > No, not supposed to. We actually keep only the minimum required from rhn
> > stuff. What is it saying precisely?
> >
> > JP
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 27, 2020, 15:01 gfn0920 <gfn...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I have installed Springdale in virtualbox on my personal laptop using the
> >> boot.iso. When I start the system it asks me to register the system like I
> >> was running real Redhat. Is this supposed to be happening? I tried to
> >> remove librhsm but it also wants to remove dnf which is protected.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >> Jerry
> >>
> >> --
> >> .

JP

Jun 27, 2020, 10:42:40 PM6/27/20
to springdale-users
Hullo,

found it and pushed out an update to fix it - gnome-settings-daemon + gnome-control-center. Thanks for pointing that out.

JP

gfn0920