Basic SDQL Manual Question

matt

Apr 3, 2022, 9:07:28 AM4/3/22
to SportsDataBase
I am trying to learn how to use the new s3.sportsdatabase.com database.  One of the first examples in the SDQL Manual says:

To get the date, team, starter, and the number of innings the starter went for all games in the 2017 MLB post season, use the SDQL: date, team, starter, starter innings pitched @ season=2017 and playoffs=1

When I try to run that query I get a message that says:
the parameter reference `innings pitched` returned no parameters

I have the same problem when I try to find other parameters such as "pitches" for example.  If I remove the "starter innings pitched" and just use:
date, team, starter @ season=2017 and playoffs=1

it works fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Matt

Gambrinus

Apr 3, 2022, 6:49:58 PM4/3/22
to SportsDataBase
Matt,

The innings pitched data is in the Starter table and not in the game table. You're attempting to use it as the starter innings pitched was in the game table, and that's why it's failing.

To access data in the Starter, Batter, or (new) Reliever table, you must use the table name, and method, and then the field separated by colons. See https://s3.sportsdatabase.com/static/Manual/player.html for more info. For your case, I used Starter:max:innings pitched to get the starters inning pitched. "sum", or "min" would work in place of "max" since there's only one value, if you ask for the max, min or sum of that value, it's the same thing.

Here's the working query:

Joe Meyer

Apr 3, 2022, 9:23:32 PM4/3/22
to sportsd...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

Please check the query page for the latest list of available parameters.

As of SDQL3 SportsDatabase.com the databases are all user maintained.

The manual gives the correct form of the query and not all parameters may be available.

Best regards,

Joe Meyer
Sports Database LLC

randomguy

Apr 7, 2022, 10:05:34 PM4/7/22
to SportsDataBase
Hello Joe,

It looks like Starter:list:innings pitched data is not available before 2016 season. I wonder if this is database issue, or query should be different for pre-2016 data. Here's the query that I used.

date,team,runs,starter,Starter:list:innings pitched[0],Starter:list:earned runs[0]@season=2015 and playoffs = 0

Thanks

Timothy Cate

Apr 9, 2022, 8:08:05 PM4/9/22
to sportsd...@googlegroups.com
If I could chime in uninvited, beg pardon but this seems like such a great example to learn exactly how to remedy what 'randomguy' is encountering... or maybe I speak for self but I am so eager and really, really ready to learn the Various s3 encounters for those trying to 'get there' with what they had before or with their given level of SQL acumen..,. just tough getting the ball-rolling on the progress but I've got help recently, so we'll see,,,