how to upload a video from Google Drive to our website

Banapa AVATEA

Apr 4, 2020, 11:57:35 PM4/4/20
to Spike@School Support
Good afternoon,
I would like to know how we can upload onto a page, video that we have in our Google Drive.
Many thanks,
Banapa

Brendon Muir

Apr 5, 2020, 6:27:35 PM4/5/20
to spikea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Banapa, thanks for getting in touch.

This is an interesting one. Here's the steps to embed the video:

  1. Open the video in Drive. Click the three vertical dots icon in the top right corner. Click Share...
  2. Click Advanced. Then click Change... Choose On - Public on the web
  3. Ensure:  Access: Anyone (no sign-in required) Can view
  4. Click Save. Click Done.
  5. Now click the three dots again and click Open in New Window.
  6. Click the three dots again and click Embed Item.
  7. Copy the code there and go to your Spike site.
  8. Edit or add your new page. On the toolbar click the Insert Video icon, then click the Embedded Code `< >` icon in the submenu.
  9. Paste in the Embed code you copied and click Insert. The video should show in the page.
  10. Click Save to save your page.
image.png

Now there's one caveat! I found that I couldn't actually watch the video in Chrome or Safari, just Firefox. I think this is a bug on Google's end as I tested the embed code outside of Spike@School and it was still broken.

It's worth giving the above a try, but if it doesn't work for you either, your best bet is to upload the video to youTube or Vimeo and embed it from there.

Please let me know if you need any more assistance with this.

Have a great day!

Brendon Muir

Founder | Spike@School

+64 7 959 7200

bre...@spikeatschool.co.nz

www.spikeatschool.co.nz

Spike@School

Level 1, 6 Garden Place, Hamilton 3204 | PO Box 303, Waikato Mail Centre, Hamilton 3240, New Zealand