best practice to handled translation of included rst fragments

Denis CARDON

Jun 2, 2021, 8:45:04 AM6/2/21
to sphinx-users
Hi everyone,

I have a question and I am sorry if it has been asked previously or
documented somewhere, but my google fu seems to be out of luck for that
one.

What is the best practice for translation of included fragments? In
order to avoid duplicating text I have include of rst files. That works
great. However it seems that the full rst is preprocessed before
handling the po update, so all the strings are included with empty strings.

Is there a way to have some kind of .po.inc in order to avoid
duplicating translated entries?

Cheers,

Denis

PS : sphinx really rocks, it makes multi-lingual documentation writing
so much easier!

Takayuki Shimizukawa

Jun 2, 2021, 9:02:36 AM6/2/21
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I don't know if there is such a way as .po.inc.
However, if you use the translation memory feature in the translation
support tools/services, you can apply translated messages if the
messages are the same. This is not a way to avoid duplicating, but a
way to make translating the duplicated text easier.

https://www.sphinx-doc.org/ uses transifex as a translation support service.
https://www.transifex.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx-doc/

And there are several other OSS tools available.
https://opensource.com/article/17/6/open-source-localization-tools

Takayuki SHIMIZUKAWA
http://about.me/shimizukawa

2021年6月2日(水) 21:45 'Denis CARDON' via sphinx-users

Denis CARDON

Jun 7, 2021, 5:44:04 AM6/7/21
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com, Takayuki Shimizukawa
Hi Takayuki,

Le 02/06/2021 à 15:02, Takayuki Shimizukawa a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if there is such a way as .po.inc.
> However, if you use the translation memory feature in the translation
> support tools/services, you can apply translated messages if the
> messages are the same. This is not a way to avoid duplicating, but a
> way to make translating the duplicated text easier.
>
> https://www.sphinx-doc.org/ uses transifex as a translation support service.
> https://www.transifex.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx-doc/
>
> And there are several other OSS tools available.
> https://opensource.com/article/17/6/open-source-localization-tools

thanks for you quick response!

I was hoping to have some kind of preprocessing tool to avoid having
duplicates in the git tree (mostly to lower the maintenance cost in the
long term).

We'll be using translation memory in the short term and I'll be looking
if having some king a preprocessor would be an option.

I came across this issue updating our Samba documentation
(https://dev.tranquil.it/samba/en/samba_config_server/redhat8/server_install_samba_centos.html)
where I wanted to refactor duplicated content.

Thanks a lot!

Denis

PS :