Decompressing objects.inv

Ron Stone

Feb 22, 2021, 8:16:45 AM2/22/21
to sphinx-dev
Hello,

I am building a set of sphinx projects within a tox test harness. There are certain circumstances in which I need to download an objects.ini file and from a partner site and read it via a shell script. At the time I need do this, tox has not yet been run on the local build that relies on information from this remote objects.ini, so sphinx has not been installed to tox's python env. For this reason, I run a limited tox job that loads python+sphinx into the environment so that I can run without running a build. This allows me to read the results of the following into an array:

python -msphinx.ext.intersphinx https://docs.python.org/3/objects.inv

This takes about ~3min on each run.

I understand that objects.inv is compressed using libzip.

My questions:
  1. Are the uncompressed contents clear test?
  2. If so, is there a way to uncompress objects.inv from a linux command line?
Being able to do this would avoid the expense of setting up the tox environment each time tox job is run from a fresh repo clone.

Thanks.

Komiya Takeshi

Feb 23, 2021, 8:04:47 AM2/23/21
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> Are the uncompressed contents clear test?
>If so, is there a way to uncompress objects.inv from a linux command line?

Unfortunately, an object.inv is not a pure zip file. So there are no
tools to decompress it on standard Linux commands, AFAIK.

Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA

Charles Bouchard-Légaré

Feb 24, 2021, 9:55:49 PM2/24/21
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
You can try the "sphobjinv" python package and it provides a command line interface