Lock old closed issues

Juan Luis Cano Rodríguez

Jul 6, 2021, 4:40:15 AM7/6/21
to sphinx-dev
Dear Sphinx developers,

I am now watching the Sphinx repository and trying to participate more and lend a hand here and there with easy issues and low hanging fruit. What I noticed is that people have a tendency of leaving comments on issues that were closed 2, 3 years ago, some of which are support issues about problems not even related to Sphinx.

I have seen some projects use GitHub bots to lock threads after a period of inactivity: https://github.com/dessant/lock-threads

Now that Takayuki has proposed using issue forms https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/pull/9406 I think this would encourage people to submit better reports, instead of lazily commenting in old ones.

Do you think this would be desirable? Or am I the only one that finds it somewhat annoying? (Or, is it not annoying enough to lock the threads?)

Cheers,
Read the Docs

Komiya Takeshi

Jul 6, 2021, 9:59:48 AM7/6/21
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Juan,

Thank you for your helping. It's very helpful to us!

I have felt the problem that users post comments to very old issues.
So I also proposed installing a lock-bot.
https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/9237

It seems nobody objects to my proposal. It's time to enable it.

Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA

Juan Luis Cano Rodríguez

Jul 6, 2021, 10:08:14 AM7/6/21
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Didn't see that issue, thanks! Left a comment there.

Cheers,
Read the Docs

Slavko

Jul 9, 2021, 4:14:01 PM7/9/21
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Dňa Tue, 6 Jul 2021 22:59:35 +0900 Komiya Takeshi <i.tk...@gmail.com>
napísal:

> I have felt the problem that users post comments to very old issues.
> So I also proposed installing a lock-bot.

I meet similar automatic closing of old (inactive) issues eg. in rspamd
(https://github.com/rspamd/rspamd) project, and i feel it in very bad.

While i understand the devs point of view, where can be frustrating to
see as count of issues grows and/or old issues are still active. From my
point of view, as no dev, i feel it as the dev are not interested in
user's issues and do not want to be rude, thus leave the work on bot...

As result, i do not bother to fill issue for project(s) with auto
closing, as it can be useless work, which will be (auto)closed, when
devs will have no time (or interest) to solve it.

Consider, that most of people, who fill some issue, bother with proper
description, gather some info, waste own time on it, often in foreign
language. They are worse of some personal attention, not to be "solved"
by bot...

It will be more acceptable for me, if some dev close issue with
few words, that it "will not be solved due ..." as when the issue is
closed with the same words by bot.

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk

Komiya Takeshi

Jul 10, 2021, 1:25:16 PM7/10/21
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Slavko,

Thank you for your comment. Now we're only discussing the treatment
for "already closed issues". And we've not discussed the
"auto-closing" bot. IMO, I'd not like to use such a bot because it
conceals the issues. So please don't mind commenting on the existing
(opened) issues.

Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA