This Chop Shop Thing

Owen Dell

Nov 3, 2022, 7:21:29 PM11/3/22
to South Corvallis, Councilor Hyatt Lytle
Listen folks, we have to solve this problem. Nobody seems to be stepping up to the plate. If we don’t act then we have to blame ourselves, at least in part, for the problems. I for one have never wanted to play the victim card. I would rather get some good can-do people together and get going on solving the problem. Does anybody want to be part of that? If so, then speak up now. If not, well, I’ll talk to the cops myself and see if I can get them to do something. But I’m not going to carry the whole load, and I don’t have any influence. It takes a village, and all that. Is anybody in? If silence prevails this will be my last attempt at summoning the troops. Maybe you all have better things to do than stand up for our community. At the moment I don’t know whether to be more disgusted with the City, with ODOT, or with my own dear neighbors. Sorry to be so frank, but at my age I don’t let anybody waste my time and I don’t take any crap from anybody.

Owen

Owen E. Dell, RLA, ASLA
Owen Dell & Associates, LLC
Landscape Architect • Educator • Author • Photographer
Oregon Registered Landscape Architect No. LA798

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question,
'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience
asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take
a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take
it because one's conscience tells one that it is right."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

josiah fisher

Nov 3, 2022, 8:14:13 PM11/3/22
to ow...@owendell.com, South Corvallis, Councilor Hyatt Lytle
Let's do this Owen, I'm with you.  Will call you tomorrow...
Josiah

Owen Dell

Nov 3, 2022, 8:25:22 PM11/3/22
to josiah fisher, South Corvallis, Councilor Hyatt Lytle
Great. Thanks, Josiah. I have a lot of running around to do tomorrow. A brief call before 9:00 would work, or something after 4:00. The weekend is more open.

THURSDAY UPDATE:
  1. I called the Corvallis Police Department just now, at 4:50. Their offices are supposed to be open until 5:00, but I got a recording saying that they were closed for the day. I did not leave a message.
  2. I called the Oregon State Police (800 442-0776) and talked to someone there. They say that even if the land is ODOT property they have no enforcement powers unless it’s a corporation yard or other formal ODOT facility. I was directed to the website for the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (https://www.oregon.gov/dpsst/Documents/ComplaintForm.pdf) where I filled out a complaint form against the CPD and ODOT. I have not filed it and I do not intend to do so until I have talked with the CPD to demand all of their incident reports and other activity reports at that location for the past three years. If it seems appropriate I will mention to them that I have this complaint form in hand, ready to put into the ODPSST email.
  3. If I have time tomorrow I will contact CPD, but as I said, it will be a busy day for me, so it may have to wait until Monday.

We can talk about the possible actions we can take as residents, and about the division of labor. As I have said before, this is not the kind of activism I’m accustomed to, and I’m sure there are others in the community who will be able to do a better job that I ever could. But I am happy to play a role and to work hard to finally get this filthy matter resolved.

I very much appreciate your willingness to help.

Owen

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 4:21 PM 'Owen Dell' via South Corvallis <south-c...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

<PastedGraphic-36.tiff>

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question,
'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience
asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take
a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take
it because one's conscience tells one that it is right."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Councilor Hyatt Lytle

Nov 3, 2022, 8:30:32 PM11/3/22
to josiah fisher, Owen Dell, South Corvallis
Hi All,
I apologize I have been waiting to hear back, but been busy at work and in evening meetings the past two nights for the Social Service Funding Policy Task Force.
In regards to the bikes at campsites, I received an email from Chief Hurley that discussed the issue. He said that the Community Livability Unit has shown keen interest in whether or not bikes are stolen in illegal camps. Since it is uncommon for people to report their bikes as stolen with a serial number this has required an increased workload for staff as they have to filter through reports and other programs (OSU Stickers, Project 529) to try and identify bikes. Voluntary Bike registration is an issue in identifying if bikes are stolen or not.

Chief offered to talk to me more, so I am happy to do so. If a small group would like represent to come with me with questions, I can ask to arrange for that. Just let me know!

Hyatt

Owen Dell

Nov 3, 2022, 8:40:12 PM11/3/22
to Councilor Hyatt Lytle, josiah fisher, South Corvallis
Thank you, Hyatt. I plan to contact the CPD tomorrow or Monday. I also contacted the Oregon State Police and discussed the matter with them; I won’t go into the details of that conversation here.

I would be happy to take part in a meeting with the police chief, but personal pandemic-related health concerns keep me away from indoor meetings. I would be happy to take part on a Zoom call if that is possible.

Owen

Owen E. Dell, RLA, ASLA
Owen Dell & Associates, LLC
Landscape Architect • Educator • Author • Photographer
Oregon Registered Landscape Architect No. LA798

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"You take a number of small steps which you believe are right,
thinking maybe tomorrow somebody will treat this as a dangerous
provocation. And then you wait. If there is no reaction, you take
another step: courage is only an accumulation of small steps."
George Konrad
Hungarian novelist & essayist

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022, 5:14 PM josiah fisher <3ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Kris Graves

Nov 3, 2022, 9:07:57 PM11/3/22
to ow...@owendell.com, josiah fisher, South Corvallis, Councilor Hyatt Lytle
I am willing to act on this situation immediately.   Let me know how we can start the process.   Kg

Sent from my iPhone

Owen Dell

Nov 3, 2022, 9:25:45 PM11/3/22
to Kris Graves, josiah fisher, South Corvallis, Councilor Hyatt Lytle
Thank you, Kris.

We now have four committed team members, plus Hyatt. Not bad for an afternoon’s work.

Next? Let’s see what the coming week brings. It sounds like Hyatt may be able to wrangle a meeting with the police chief, and I’m sure she will let us know about that as soon as she has something worked out. Let’s take this one step at a time, with due alacrity but with good strategy. We have much to think about.

I will pursue this further as needed and we can all touch base on Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime, anyone else who wants to get on the bus is welcome.

With gratitude for your activism,

Comcast

Nov 3, 2022, 11:56:04 PM11/3/22
to ow...@owendell.com, josiah fisher, South Corvallis, Councilor Hyatt Lytle
I’m in.
Mark Schurman

Sent from my iPhone

Angelica Rehkugler

Nov 3, 2022, 11:57:11 PM11/3/22
to ow...@owendell.com, south-c...@googlegroups.com
Owen,
I called ODOT directly myself a while ago. Maybe it was a year back. I don't remember but I called and called until I finally got to the right person. It was regarding the trash and once he knew what I was talking about, he got it taken care of. His name is Ken. He is at the ODOT office in Corvallis that is on Hwy 20 and his phone numbers are 541-757-4211 office and 541-812-8695 cell.

Nov 3, 2022, 11:58:27 PM11/3/22
to South Corvallis, Councilor Hyatt Lytle, ow...@owendell.com
I'm in. My experience trying to communicate with the city: I made much more progress when I was joined with other neighbors. Shall we show up at the Nov 7th council meeting? What were you thinking Owen? It would be great if we could get at least 10 people to show up.

Nov 4, 2022, 10:19:09 AM11/4/22
to Angelica Rehkugler, South Corvallis, Owen Dell, north-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I believe showing up to the meeting is extremely helpful if people are able. It allows for the whole council to hear from South Corvallis, as apparently sometimes hearing it from only me is not as impactful as hearing from community voices. Also, you are able to show up remotely as well now if you can't appear in person.

You have top pre sign up now for the meeting so if you do plan to come, make sure to email the city recorded at: alex.d...@corvallisoregon.gov and ask to sign up for public testimony and whether you want to do virtual (remote) or in person.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hyatt

Owen Dell

Nov 4, 2022, 11:04:08 AM11/4/22
to Comcast, josiah fisher, South Corvallis, Councilor Hyatt Lytle
Great. Thanks, Mark.

Owen Dell

Nov 4, 2022, 11:09:53 AM11/4/22
to Angelica Rehkugler, South Corvallis, Councilor Hyatt Lytle
Thanks, Angelica. I think it would be fine to show up at the meeting. We don’t really have a plan or a strategy in place, though, and I’m a little leery of making a disorganized presentation. Perhaps we can spend some time this weekend crafting a message and an approach. Any thoughts on this from anyone?

The team so far (in alphabetical order):
Owen Dell
Miriam Edell
Josiah Fisher
Kris Graves
Angelica Rehkugler
Mark Schurman

Plenty to do, so let’s keep adding people. Who’s up next?

Owen

I'm in. My experience trying to communicate with the city: I made much more progress when I was joined with other neighbors. Shall we show up at the Nov 7th council meeting? What were you thinking Owen? It would be great if we could get at least 10 people to show up.

Nance WDOG

Nov 4, 2022, 11:18:37 AM11/4/22
to Councilor Hyatt Lytle, Angelica Rehkugler, Owen Dell, South Corvallis, north-s...@googlegroups.com
I was looking through the City Council calendar through the end of the year. I noticed that Chief Hurley is leaving in December.  Has his successor been named?

“Regular Meeting, Monday, December 19, 6:00 pm (IN-PERSON & VIRTUAL)
* Ordinances: Multi-unit Property Tax Exemptions (MUPTE) and affordable housing property tax exemptions (EDO and Comm Dev)
* Canvass of Votes – November 8, 2022 Election (City Recorder)
* Farewell to Chief Hurley (Mayor’s Reports)”

Mark Taratoot

Nov 4, 2022, 1:37:51 PM11/4/22
to nanc...@gmail.com, Councilor Hyatt Lytle, Angelica Rehkugler, Owen Dell, South Corvallis, north-s...@googlegroups.com
Jason Harvey.  He's been with CPD for 25 years, and if I'm not mistaken, it's in his genes.

Councilor Hyatt Lytle

Nov 4, 2022, 2:47:25 PM11/4/22
to Miriam Edell, South Corvallis, north-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miriam,
Community Comments are towards the beginning. We have a couple presentations, one on the Benton County Justice System Improvement Project Update, and a recognition of 911 Manager Scott Haberkorn who got awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials, just before he retires this month. But after that we will go into Community Comments, probably between 645 and 7pm.

You will need to Pre-Signup for Public Testimony, there are only so many slots, both in-person and virtual. To do this, email the City Recorder, Alex Downing at alex.d...@corvallisoregon.gov and get signed up ASAP, before it gets filled up. Things changed since after COVID in regards to speaking at Council Meetings, Councilor Ellis and myself tried to opt for no limits to signups, but it was left for the new Council to decide.

Let me know if I can be of any help!

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 7:55 AM Miriam Edell <miria...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hyatt
When do we need to show up?  At the end?
Miriam

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 4, 2022, at 7:54 AM, Miriam Edell <miria...@gmail.com> wrote:

I like the idea to show up en masse to the council meeting.
Miriam

Sent from my iPhone

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022, 8:58 PM Angelica Rehkugler <arehk...@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Hyatt Lytle, M.A.
Corvallis City Councilor Ward 3
541-760-6274 (call or text)

a halpin

Nov 4, 2022, 5:06:38 PM11/4/22
to mtar...@gmail.com, nanc...@gmail.com, Councilor Hyatt Lytle, Angelica Rehkugler, Owen Dell, South Corvallis, north-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello neighbors,
I have been following this thread with interest and concern. I see, of course, the situation under the bridges and I'm distressed that, as the powers that be drag their feet, more and more garbage gets washed into the rivers. I am planning to be at the City Council meeting on Monday, and I would like to be involved in a solution in whatever way I can.
Thanks, Anne H.

Angelica Rehkugler

Nov 4, 2022, 5:15:20 PM11/4/22
to Owen Dell, South Corvallis, Councilor Hyatt Lytle
I agree it would be best if we co-ordinate. That way we can each talk about a different point and not repeat one another. I'm available on Saturday, or Monday to co-ordinate but not on Sunday. Sunday is Pumpkin Palooza at the Willamette Grange. I'll be there!
Thanks all for your efforts and concern. Thanks Owen for pulling this together.

Nov 4, 2022, 5:49:45 PM11/4/22
to arehk...@hotmail.com, Owen Dell, South Corvallis, Councilor Hyatt Lytle
Where should we meet?   I’m free any of those days.  Kris

Sent from my iPhone

Owen Dell

Nov 11, 2022, 7:33:13 PM11/11/22
to Councilor Hyatt Lytle, South Corvallis
Hello Hyatt,

I don’t think you should wait for people to come with you. If they want to, then great. I am not in a position to meet on account of the pandemic.

Owen

Owen E. Dell, RLA, ASLA
Owen Dell & Associates, LLC
Landscape Architect • Educator • Author • Photographer
Oregon Registered Landscape Architect No. LA798

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"The details are not details. They make the product."
Charles Eames
designer, architect, filmmaker

[...]

Mark Taratoot

Nov 11, 2022, 9:25:38 PM11/11/22
to hyattly...@gmail.com, South Corvallis, north-s...@googlegroups.com
My apologies for not following up. I've been sick.  I am recovering.  Yesterday I had enough energy to walk down to see what was going on under the bridge.  I'll share one picture.  I have others.  Please feel free to share this image with Chief Hurley.  If he's interested, he could probably ask one of his patrol officers to go take a gander.

Owen: Thank you for encouraging me to not give up on this shit.  I'll try.  If Corvallis was like this during Bernard Malamud's time, he would have written differently about it.

I'll also share two stories:

First, as I was walking north, there were a couple people near the bridge.  One was on a fairly nice bike.  As I was walking by,  he got off and gave the bike to someone else.  When I was walking back south, I saw the second person disassembling that bike in the field south of the sewer lift station on that triangle strip of DOT property with all the tents.  There was humorously also a "Beware of Dog" sign, but the only critters there were two fat chickens.  I have to wonder where those chickens came from.

Second, as I was walking in Riverfront Park, another person  had a bike upside down in the multi-use path, across the path basically blocking traffic, then some other person came zooming through with one of those two-stroke powered bicycles I call "Chainsaw bikes."  Are these legal to operate?  Are they legal to operate on a multi-modal path?  Just curious.  No LEO presence there very often.

IMG_1074.jpg

Mark Taratoot

Nov 12, 2022, 4:36:43 PM11/12/22
to hyattly...@gmail.com, South Corvallis, north-s...@googlegroups.com
If you are missing a bike, there's now one down there that hasn't YET been disassembled.

IMG_1076.jpg