OCP SONiC Community Meeting (MoM - 7/23/2019)

Madhu Pal

Jul 28, 2019, 10:24:34 AM7/28/19
to Haile Weleslassie, eantck rara, Xin Liu (CLOUD), sonicproject, OCP-Net...@ocp-all.groups.io, Michael Schill
Hi Team,

MoM of today's OCP SONiC call  07/23/2019.

Topics discussed
  • Debug framework design spec - BRCM
Review (Q & A)
  • What is the impact on current show tech dump ?
  • Can the framework support get the tech dump specified time slice/range ?
  • Does framework support any schema for debug event triggers ?
  • Where does this framework run, can user turn off?
  • Will the framework exports debug data in Json format?

Regards,
-Madhu

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 9:23 AM Madhu Pal <mad...@aviznetworks.com> wrote:
Hi Team,

MoM of today's OCP SONiC call  07/16/2019.

Topics discussed
  • Egress Mirror support and ACL action capability check
Review (Q & A)
  • Does this feature backward compatible? Yes [sonic - to -sonic ]
  • Is there any requirement for egress mirroring to have all packet modifications done in the mirrored copy? No such support.
  • What is the behavior if max egress sessions programmed? - Not a requirement
  • If both ingress/egress enabled on same packet, do we see two mirror copies? Yes, might need a fix around it.
  • Does SONiC has any limit on supporting egress mirror sessions? - depends on ASIC limit
  • Does this design supports truncate the mirrored copy ? Does it a SONiC/SAI spec? Need to check

  • SONiC Image Build Time Improvements (MLNX)
Review (Q & A)

  • Is the design use parallel builds? yes, make use of all the cpu threads (12)
  • How much build time improvements we can see if we discount kernel? - ~1 h (we build linux built in separate thread)
  • How is different Docker build kit from docker natived?- DBK is completely written for docker images and supports isolated users instead multiple users.

    Announcements
    • 201908 release tracking
    • Repurposing the sub-group meetings to design meetings.

    Thanks,
    -Madhu
    Aviz Networks

    On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 11:38 PM Haile Weleslassie <haili...@gmail.com> wrote:
    "As of now, though there is a CLI wrapper, SONiC ultimately uses the linux NetLink calls. "
    Great!!!
    But Can any body make me clear  how the configuration is offloaded  to the ASIC,please!!!!

        with regards!

    On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 4:57 PM eantck rara <eant...@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hello,

    Where can get the SONIC community weekly meeting invite.

    ~Thank you ,
    /Kat

    On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 9:13 AM Madhu Pal <mad...@aviznetworks.com> wrote:
    Hi Team,

    MoM of today's OCP SONiC call  07/09/2019.

    Topics discussed

    • PDE (Platform Development Environment) /PDDF (Platform Driver Development Framework)- BRCM
    Review (Q&A)
    • Is PDE specific to BRCM chipset? Not necessarily, who ever supoport SAI can use it.
    • What are the interfaces PDE provides for ASIC and platform? PDDF data driven framework (JSON APIs)& existing driver API's
    • Can framework allow vendor extensions ? PDDF supports vendor extensions
    • How to package PDE ?  PDE can be built along with full sonic image & dockers or individual docker
    • Will custom plugins (ex:BMC) could integrate with PDE? yes
    • Can we load PDE into multiple targets? possible

    Announcements
    • PR reviews ownership - checkout the 201908 release tracking page

    Thanks,
    -Madhu
    Aviz Networks

    On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 10:11 AM Madhu Pal <mad...@aviznetworks.com> wrote:
    Hi Team,

    MoM of today's OCP SONiC call  06/25/2019.

    Topics discussed

    • VRF design discussion  - Nephos (Jeffrey)
    Review (Q&A)
    • How does VRF configures in Linux kernel? As of now, though there is a CLI wrapper, SONiC ultimately uses the linux NetLink calls. [Community has some suggestions - Liat may help here with our examples]
    • Questions on config_db migration script on VRF config migration? offline discussions would continue/PR feedback.
    • Design decision behind creating an empty interface INTERFACE|Ethernet0:{} in config_db ? Multiple things, 1) SAI 2) Code complexity behind the resource migration. etc. There is a section in the PR,  feedback can be provided.
    • There is a request on VRF ID adding besides interface name in the next hop? The decision seems we are going with minimal configuration to support the SONiC system design.
    • Can we safely assume VRF design supports later versions of Linux Kernel 4.9? Yes.
    What next?
    • PR discussion could be extended to next meeting based on the PR feedback. [Jeffery/Prince]

    Thanks & Regards,
    -Madhu
    Aviz Networks

    On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 5:11 AM 'Ben Gale' via sonicproject <sonicp...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
    Thanks Madhu.

    Comments in-line.

    Bear in mind that there are 2 HLDs in play here - we only got to the first of these in the call
    1) Error handling framework - https://github.com/Azure/SONiC/pull/391

    On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 12:58 AM Madhu Pal <mad...@aviznetworks.com> wrote:
    Hi Team,

    MoM of today's OCP SONiC call  06/18/2019.

    Topics discussed

    • Error Handling  - BRCM (Santhosh)
    Review (Q&A)
    We had a great discussion, there are lot of inputs from community and here is some. Feel free to add missing comments here.
    • How does framework supports multiple CRUD failures?
    [Ben]: See below
    • Do you provide a knob to switch off Error handling feature? Is knob necessary?
    [Ben]: No knob is necessary. The error handling proposal is a framework that is available for a) implementation of error reporting in SWSS on a feature-by-feature basis and b) application processing of such errors. Both a) and b) are implementation choices that can be made on an feature-by-feature basis. And if an application does not want to process a supported error, then it can just ignore it.
    • Does the applications get out of order notifications from feedback loop? How to handle in the case of it? Ex: User does create/delete/create and do you expect the error feedback come in order?
    [Ben]: The specific comment was that the key/values used to refer to APP_DB (or other) in an ERROR_DB report may not be specific enough to distinguish between different error events. The example given (by Nikos) was a route add-withdraw-add case - since the APP_DB table entry may be the same between the 2 adds, then, if there's an error report, how does the application (FRR in this case) know which of the adds failed? We will come back on this point.
    • What is the design decision behind a new Error DB? Why can't we merge error attributes into APP DB?
    [Ben]: We thought about both options, and decided that the ERROR_DB gave a bit more flexibility and avoided changing existing application tables. It was not a clear decision, but we see no reason to move away from it.
    • What is the mechanism to synchronize route CRUD between APP DB vs new Error DB?
    [Ben]: See above
    • Is new Error DB is a mirror of APP DB?
    [Ben]: Not really - but each error table entry points to a corresponding entry in another table (usually APP_DB)
    • The current design mentioned an approach to stop propagate the failed/error routes to the neighbors? This may not right as per RFC, the routes should propagate though the it failed due to some policy. (Nikos)
    [Ben]: This topic went beyond scope of the framework (#1 above) and into the BGP doc (#2). We will setup a separate offline discussion for this.

    Overall feedback - The feedback loop is necessary to address SAI fatal errors. However the community requested the design should dis associate/de couple the feedback loop  as much as possible so that applications have freedom to react/handle it own way.
    [Ben]: That's exactly how it's setup today.
    one option suggested - Framework should more generic and should accommodate opaque error context for the applications.
    [Ben]: This is a different topic - see above ("The specific comment was that the key/values ....")

    Xin will extend an offline discussion on this topic, stay tuned.

    Announcements
    • SONiC Release 201908 tracking page - Xin can you post the link
    • Action Item for community - Signup for PR reviews

    Thanks & Regards,
    -Madhu
    Aviz Networks

    On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:54 PM 'Ben Gale' via sonicproject <sonicp...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
    Some additions below .... thanks

    On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 1:14 PM Madhu Pal <mad...@aviznetworks.com> wrote:
    Hi Team,

    MoM of today's OCP SONiC call  06/11/2019.

    Topics discussed

    • sFLOW - Padma Narayana (Dell)

    Review (Q&A)
    • How to support sFlow ratelimit? One option via CoPP
    • is there any hsflowd/InMon license implications? Padmanabhan follow up
    • Do we maintain separate repos for sFlow custom configurations? maintain SONiC Repo -
    • [Ben]: Not quite - the proposal from Padman was to pull the code in from the 3rd-party repo at build time - same way as teamd is handled today. The question was whether we should instead bring a fork into SONiC so we can more easily make local changes (similar to how FRR is handled today). Padman's view was that the level of changes likely required would not justify that - accepted. Note that we can always apply SONiC patches at build time (again, as per teamd) if we have trouble getting any fixes applied upstream.
    • What is the configurations need to expose hsflowd/InMon ? sampling rate, interfaces etc. Please add it into the HLD if not.
    • Where do you use state db entries?AI Dell
    • How to handle warm boot scenario ? please have a section in the HLD AI Padmanabhan
    • Any recommendations on sFlow sampling performance?
    [Ben]: sFlow Counter support is moving into Phase 1 (sFlow spec compliance issue)
    [Ben]: Asked whether it was possible to change sFlow configuration without restarting hsflowd.
    [Ben]: Agreed that per interface enable/disable is needed. However, per-interface sampling rate could come later
    [Ben]: gennetlink details don't need to be configurable
    [Ben]: sFlow will be a SONiC build option. However, the OrchAgent/syncd code will always be there
    [Ben]: Discussion on whether SAI should use the generic psample driver (available in Debian 10) vs. using it's own netlink configuration. Padman said that this is a SAI decision. Cautioned that the generic psample driver may have a performance issue around non-zero copies.
    [Ben]: All to focus on PR for further review
    • HLD on NAT  - Kiran Kella (BRCM)
    Review (Q&A)
    • Is this design supports ALGs ?  Not supported
    • How to support rate-limits? [Ben]: Answer was that NAT miss traffic to the CPU is rate limited using the existing CoPP feature. There will be no per-session "NAT hit" rate limit - not a requirement
    • Requirement to gracefully handle flow TableFull scenarios
    • What is the design to make kernel vs ASIC conntrack NAT entries are in sync?
    • Do you have NAT scaling numbers?  [Ben]: These are in the HLD (Broadcom HW). However the application is not limited. See also the Table full topic (and application awareness of scale)
    • BulkAPI/Flex counters support for NAT flows? Both ways can be supported  [Ben]: The concern was over the performance impact of maintaining potentially thousands of counters. Rejected the idea of making this configurable (i.e. define which sessions are counted), but analyze the options to ensure that system performance is not adversely affected.
    [Ben]: Concern over only tracking 2-ways of the 3-way TCP handshake - Guohan to take this offline
    [Ben]: All to focus on PR for further review

    Announcements

    • Next PR discussion - Error handling BRCM
    [Ben]: Also 201908 feature status update

    Thanks,
    Madhu
    AvizNetworks

    On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 10:04 AM Madhu Pal <mad...@aviznetworks.com> wrote:
    Corrected subject line with correct date.

    On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 9:33 AM Madhu Pal <mad...@aviznetworks.com> wrote:
    Hi Team,

    MoM of today's OCP SONiC call  06/04/2019.

    Topics discussed
    • STP/PVST - Sandeep (BRCM)
    Q & A
    • Can this STP feature compile time disabled? BRCM will explore this (compile time/run time options to disable/enable STP/PVST feature)
    • Warm reboot not supported for PVST? Community requested more details need to be added to design
    • Multiple questions what is the design decision on why  STP states are not programming to Kernel?   Few questions: 1) With the current STP design - the STP states are not populating in kernel, ASIC and Kernel will be out of sync, what is the downside ?  2) Let's say Port/Vlan is not blocking in the kernel, but is blocked in ASIC, then what is the behavior with arp/ping/ospf in this scenarios ?  BRCM should document the scenarios.
    • Community requested to document the ASIC and Kernel out of sync scenarios - AI BRCM
    • There should be no drop if HW says forwarding? yes
    • Is there mechanism to program the states in to Kernel ? BRCM to explore on it
    • If the trap is configured on port which is blocked does the packet comes to CPU? yes, based on the trap configurations.
    • When port is blocked in HW, what are the packets should send? - HW shouldn't block L2 packets/LACP exchanges but drop L3 packets.
    • Can COPP program to trap to cpu ? Yes

    • HLD on NAT  - Kiran Kella (BRCM)

    Q & A
    • Does it support payload/embedded headers (ALGs- application level gateways) support ? Not right now.
    • Continue discussion next sub group meeting.
    Announcements
    • Next sub group meetings HLD on NAT, SFLow

    Thanks,
    Madhu
    AvizNetworks

    On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 8:58 AM Madhu Pal <mad...@aviznetworks.com> wrote:
    Hi Team,

    MoM of today's OCP SONiC SUB GROUP call  05/28/2019.

    Topics discussed:
    • Status on MLAG Design discussions - Nephos Team

    Q & A
    • Does this solution addressed L3 MLAG alone? Both L3 and L2. It seems L2 MLAG HLD need some updates.
    • Does MCLAG supports MulitCast? Nephos team will update the HLD with all the use-cases and missing pieces.
    • When is the next meeting to discuss on MCLAG ? June 11th
    • Community requested Nephos team for Updated MCLAG HLD before Jun 11th.

    Action Items/Announcements
    • Will it be possible to discuss other than MCLAG in SUB Group calls ? Yes. Xin we will work and adjust to the cadence
    • Community requested to include/Update User Scenarios in HLDs for review
    • Ben Gale (BRCM) will propose on MCLAG next few weeks.
    • Request community to review below MCLAG PR before next sub group meeting (06/11/2019)
    • Here is the PR and design presentation
      1.  MCLAG video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shFEKjBp66Q&feature=youtu.be
      2.  MCLAG PR - https://github.com/Azure/SONiC/pull/325
    Thanks,
    -Madhu
    AvizNetworks

    On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 1:26 PM Anil Pandey <anilk...@gmail.com> wrote:
    Minor correction:

    • Can FDB clear support per port and VLAN ? Anil will add support to the proposal
    Thanks,
    Anil

    On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 9:29 AM Madhu Pal <mad...@aviznetworks.com> wrote:
    Hi Team,

    MoM of today's OCP SONiC call  05/21/2019.

    Topics discussed
    • L2 - FDB/MAC enhancements - Anil (Broadcom)

    Q & A
    • FDB aging per device ? yes
    • Does FDB aging support per sec ? yes
    • Can MAC aging support per port and VLAN ? Anil will add support to the proposal
    • Design on restrict the warning logs on VLAN range feature support? Broadcom will consider this in the proposal [Aggregated log etc.]
    • Does this feature need  SAI support from vendors ? (no new SAI attributes), Broadcom will list SAI APIs using it currently for this feature.
    • How does Vlan range updates implemented? vlan range being consolidated at config_db and apply down to the hardware in single shot, no deletes and adds.
    • Do we have FDB type in the fdb entry ? yes [static vs dynamic] and will be displayed in show commands
    • How does FDB optimizations on topo/STP event flush ? out side of ASIC, in the case of broadcom flushes are quick.
    • How does system wide fdb flush ? It should handled by SAI, by go over all the ports and Vlans, vendor specific.
    • Community ask on MAC aging & MAC move scale numbers? Broadcom will add into the proposal

    • BFD - Sumit Agarwal (Broadcom)
    Q & A

    • Discussed on BFD implementations phase 1  & Phase 2.
    • In BFD Phase-1 : BFD is part of BGP docker
    • In BFD Phase 2 : BFD will implement in Hardware.
    • Can SONiC Users turn off if they don't want? yes through compile time, but community suggested don't run default, provide CLI to enable it.
    • How BFD works with warm reboots ? 1) planned warm reboot, users can update the BFD timers upfront 2) unplanned warm reboot BFD session will timeout before BGP timeouts.
    • Can configure/control BFD timeouts on remote Bgp peers? Question from Nikos. Need discussion more.
    Announcements

    • More design reviews lineup for Aug 2019.
    • Provide feedbacks on PRs
    • Watch out for bi weekly meeting on design proposals and reviews.

    Best Regards,
    -Madhu
    Aviz Networks

    On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 9:40 AM Madhu Pal <mad...@aviznetworks.com> wrote:
    Hi Team,

    MoM of today's OCP SONiC call  05/07/2019.

    Topics discussed
    • SONiC 201908 release Planning - 05/07/2019

    Q & A
    • Need code review support for multi-db performance improvements - MSFT & AVIZ Networks
    • What is the scope of Error handling mechanism work by BRCM  - It covers SAI error surfacing and handling
    • What is the scope of Configuration validations - Open for design, current scope is use syslog mechanism to propagate the config errors.
    • What is the VRF feature planned in SONiC? it is VRF lite support not the MPLS.
    • Do we have plan for multi-tenancy VPN with VRF feature? No, that would be handles separately.
    • When is the VRF lite design review - Expected 5/21
    • What is the ETA for dynamic breakout - Xin will work with LNKD
    • For dynamic breakout, is it possible to get ASIC vendor ETA ? Xin will talk to ASIC vendors [an ETA early July would help to test it]
    • Do we have a list of platform APIs ? refer PMON APIs
    • How to earn OCP credits for companies - Checkout the OCP website for how to get credits to such as software contributions etc.
    • Is sub-port feature is same as sub-interface ? yes
    • What kind of features run on sub-port? No HLD yet, Jipan will come back with HLD on this
    • Can we have small description on sub-port ? Xin will work with Alibaba
    • When is the SAI proposal on sFlow? Dell working on the SAI proposal for sFlow and will send for design review.
    • What does SONiC side use for slow ? HSflowD, its a opensource package and need to check the licensing [Need to explore the licensing part, work with Xin]
    • Build improvements - experimental BRCM ? design review needed on the changes. Ben will provide a design review
    • What is Mgmt framework - Goal is to easily manage the sonic switch? [models, serialization, unified cli, gnmi]
    • What is the BFD for FRR used for - for BGP failures
    • Does BFD-FRR required SAI support ? No, for the current work, not using any SAI BFD APIs, will be using on next iteration.
    • Does SONiC official release support on ONL ? No, SONiC has tight roadmap next 8 months.

    Announcements
    • OCP events - www.opencompute.org/events/upcoming events - road show  Taiwan, Beijing, India
    • SONiC next meeting 05/21/2019
    • SONiC team will use Workgroup meetings other alternative Tuesday [Test workgroups & MLAG/L2 workgroups etc. ]
    APR release
    • Redis performance - out of the apr release
    • CLI improvement - moved to next release
    • Any ETA for APR release stabilizations - need to estimate

    Best Regards,
    -Madhu
    Aviz Networks

    On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 5:17 PM 'Xin Liu (CLOUD)' via sonicproject <sonicp...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
    Folks:
    We will discuss SONiC 201908 release plan.
    We built a tentative list of items to work on.  Will discuss with the community tomorrow.
    Meeting invite in the attachment.

    Thanks
    Xin

    Haile Weleslassie

    Madhu Pal

    Jul 30, 2019, 12:48:04 PM7/30/19
    to Haile Weleslassie, eantck rara, Xin Liu (CLOUD), sonicproject, OCP-Net...@ocp-all.groups.io, Michael Schill
    Hi Team,

    MoM of today's OCP SONiC call  07/30/2019.

    Topics discussed
    • Thresholds - BRCM
    Review comments ( Q & A)
    • Is the collector must a local host? It seems the major consumer could be applications reside on the local host/switch, can be consumed by remote collector since the data available in COUNTER_DB.
    • Is gRPC protobuf support is part of SAI spec? yes
    • What are the SAI API's used for this feature? listed in the design doc
    • Can the spec support different event types? yes
    • CPU queues support? right now the spec supported the features with watermark, CPU queues will be supported.
    • what is the info captured as part of breach event occurred at ASIC? discussed in the design doc
    • Can we have generic collector for TAM and IFA ? Possible
    • Can the spec expose the ASIC capabilities to support Thresholds to the user? It seems there is  SAI PR for ASIC capabilities

    • TAM Inband-Flow Analyzer - BRCM
    Review comments (Q & A)
    • SUG ask on extensibility [few asks below] -  the proposal is not generic enough except the IFA sampling rate, Can it be extensible to support ? yes, AI BRCM
    • Can this framework extensible/Common API to support all the INT vendors?
    • How easy to extend IFA feature to other families and parameters?
    • How much the spec implemented and what has to be done for the community to extend it further?
    • Can this spec expose the ASIC capabilities of this IFA to the user ?
    Announcements
    • Advised the contributors to send design PRs  to the mailing list so that the reviewers will be assigned.

    Thanks,
    -Madhu

    Sachin Suman

    Jul 31, 2019, 3:18:36 AM7/31/19
    to Madhu Pal, Haile Weleslassie, eantck rara, Xin Liu (CLOUD), sonicproject, OCP-Net...@ocp-all.groups.io, Michael Schill

    Anil Sadineni

    Aug 2, 2019, 5:17:30 AM8/2/19
    to sonicproject
    Hi Team,

    Please find responses below.

    Review (Q & A)
    • What is the impact on current show tech dump ?
    [Anil S] debug snapshot of all registered components will be included and this will result is command taking longer and more space.
    • Can the framework support get the tech dump specified time slice/range ?
    [Anil S] With current proposal, No. Admin need to trigger the dump at the desired time.
    • Does framework support any schema for debug event triggers ?
    [Anil S] Currently, all the args specific to component are opaque to framework and packed into kfvFieldsValues with key as registered component name.
    • Where does this framework run, can user turn off?
    [Anil S] Framework itself does not have a running context. It is a library and the APIs to register with framework and handle trigger events are run in the context of component.  Trigger will be initiated by Admin in the context of CLI command or by asserts ( offending component context )

    • Will the framework exports debug data in Json format?
    [Anil S] Data format is outside the scope of framework. JSON format or binary format is in the context of the registered dump routine written by component owner catering to the component debug requirements.

    Thanks,
    Anil.

    Thanks,
    Madhu
    AvizNetworks

    Haile Weleslassie

    Madhu Pal

    Aug 6, 2019, 11:58:01 PM8/6/19
    to sonicproject, OCP-Net...@ocp-all.groups.io, Michael Schill, Xin Liu (CLOUD)
    Hi Team,

    MoM of today's OCP SONiC call  8/6/2019.

    Topics discussed
    • Sub port interface design - Winda
    Review (Q & A)
    • How sub-port interface different from vlan interface in sonic? Ans: Vlan interface is a bridge port in sonic.
    • Rename dot1Q table ? - Since there is vlan interface table, dot1Q interface table is little confusing, community suggested go with sub-port/interface table.
    • How about separate sub-interface/port manager for sub-port interfaces?
    • Does sub-port feature use sonic-cli/direct native calls ? It uses linux iproute2 calls
    • Do you expect iproute2 upgrades to support sub-port feature? No
    • What is the use case of mtu with sub interface?
    • Can sub-port interface support on port-breakout interfaces?
    • Do you see any issues with naming convention w.r.t port breakouts & sub-ports?
    • Is there any limit on sub port interfaces? yes, refer scalability section [750 per switch]
    • Few question on sub-port functionality? If the packet entered untagged how does it route to sub-port interface?
    • what is the miss-policy support with sub-port interfaces ? could be dropped - debatable
    • define behavior untagged and miss policy arrived to physical port? How Sonic process these packets?
    • Can physical & sub port interfaces shared same neighbor table or different ?
    • Add section to the HLD for cross functional / port properties when port is layer 3/ layer 2 port?

    Announcements:
    • 201908 release - will be delayed 10/2019
    • please send out PR's to sonic mailing lists
    • OCP Amsterdam [Europe]- End of Sept.

    Thanks,
    -Madhu

    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonicproject/95df0e80-8979-4965-933a-e59e1ba38db8%40googlegroups.com.

    Wenda Ni

    Aug 8, 2019, 12:25:38 AM8/8/19
    to Madhu Pal, sonicproject, OCP-Net...@ocp-all.groups.io, Michael Schill, Xin Liu (CLOUD)
    Thanks for the MoM. I will address the questions in the following days.

    How sub-port interface different from vlan interface in sonic?

    In the SAI specification,

    sub port interface is a router interface (RIF type sub port Vlan#) between a VRF and a physical port or a port channel.

    vlan interface is a router interface (RIF type vlan Vlan#) facing a .1Q bridge; it is a interface between a bridge port type router (connecting to a .1Q bridge) and a VRF. I drafted a diagram for vlan interface @ https://github.com/wendani/sonic-architecture/blob/master/vlan_intf.pdf  Hope it helps to clarify a bit.

    Cheers,

    Wenda Ni, Ph.D.