SonarQube 6.0 Group permissions issue

Mike S

Aug 22, 2016, 9:43:39 AM8/22/16
to SonarQube
Hi,

I was asked to post my issue here after the following initial discussion on StackOverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38981755/sonarqube-6-0-authorization-using-groups/39018370?noredirect=1#comment65435839_39018370

I am using SonarQube 6.0 community version, and I'm having trouble assigning project permissions to a group I have created. When I perform the 2 actions listed below (and documented in the StackOverFlow link) from the UI my created group does not show up in the list of groups:
  • Edit Permissions of Individual Permissions

  • Create a Permissions Template

I turned debug logging on to determine what API was being used to obtain the group list. It was the following internal API: api/permissions/groups
The documentation for this API indicates that it only returns groups that have permissions, which means my created group does not show up in the list since no permissions have been assigned to it yet (sort of a catch-22). Is this a bug in SonarQube 6.0, or is there some other method I should be using to assign project permissions to a group?
Thanks for any information that is provided.

G. Ann Campbell

Aug 22, 2016, 9:52:26 AM8/22/16
to SonarQube, msta...@gmail.com
Hi Mike,

Could you give us some screenshots of where you're expecting to see your group, but it's not showing up?

Thx,
Ann

msta...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2016, 10:04:13 AM8/22/16
to SonarQube, msta...@gmail.com
Hi Ann,

Here's an image where I accessed Administration->Permissions from within a project. Note that my created group was not listed. Only the SQ defined groups were listed.

Mike

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Julien Lancelot

Aug 22, 2016, 10:08:31 AM8/22/16
to msta...@gmail.com, SonarQube
Hi Mike,

Indeed, only groups having permissions are listed in this page.
You need to type the name of your group in the search field to see it and assign permission on it.

Julien LANCELOT | SonarSource

G. Ann Campbell

Aug 22, 2016, 10:09:03 AM8/22/16
to msta...@gmail.com, SonarQube
Hi,

What you're seeing is the list of groups that already have permission. Use the Search input to find your group. Then you can toggle its permissions on.

Ann

---
G. Ann CAMPBELL | SonarSource
Product Owner

msta...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2016, 10:35:29 AM8/22/16
to SonarQube, msta...@gmail.com

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 10:09:03 AM UTC-4, G. Ann Campbell wrote:
Hi,

What you're seeing is the list of groups that already have permission. Use the Search input to find your group. Then you can toggle its permissions on.

Ann

Hi ,

When  I click on the Search bar (or click "s") and enter my group name it does not find the group. It indicates "No results". I tried it with 2 different groups I created.

Mike
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to sonarqube+...@googlegroups.com.

G. Ann Campbell

Aug 22, 2016, 10:38:05 AM8/22/16
to Michael Stancampiano, SonarQube
Hi Mike,

This is the search feature you need to use:

Inline image 1

Ann

---
G. Ann CAMPBELL | SonarSource
Product Owner

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonarqube/c60a87f8-ce5f-47bb-b64f-cc16a9df8086%40googlegroups.com.

msta...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2016, 10:50:54 AM8/22/16
to SonarQube, msta...@gmail.com
Hi Ann,

When I click on that Search option no field appears where I can type in a value. What happens is that a "refresh" briefly appears and then disappears, but no field is displayed. In looking at the log the following APIs were executed when I clicked on that Search option:
2016.08.22 10:43:38 DEBUG web[http] GET /api/permissions/users?projectKey=grc-dashboard-ui&ps=100 | time=8ms
2016.08.22 10:43:38 DEBUG web[http] GET /api/permissions/groups?projectKey=grc-dashboard-ui&ps=100 | time=8ms

Is it possible popup blockers are preventing that field from being displayed? Will try a few tests shortly.

Mike

msta...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2016, 11:41:01 AM8/22/16
to SonarQube, msta...@gmail.com
Hi,

Turning off the popup blocker in my browser (Firefox ESR 45.3) did not help. No search field was displayed when clicking on that Search option.

Mike

G. Ann Campbell

Aug 22, 2016, 12:10:07 PM8/22/16
to Michael Stancampiano, SonarQube
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but what you should expect to see is a blinking cursor when you click next to the magnifying glass icon:

Inline image 1

Ann

---
G. Ann CAMPBELL | SonarSource
Product Owner

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonarqube/8118b83c-8f3b-4a81-93ba-fff42d7b7d0b%40googlegroups.com.

msta...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2016, 1:14:59 PM8/22/16
to SonarQube, msta...@gmail.com
Hi Ann,

Thanks. It was not obvious there was a field there. I kept clicking on the icon expecting a field to display. Clicking the icon did not cause the cursor to blink in that field. But I see it now. Thanks very much for your help.

Mike

dallas62...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2018, 5:26:11 AM3/6/18
to SonarQube
Hi!

Thanks for the trick!

But it's also really stupid to name the tab "ALL" if there is not ALL groups.

at least 1 year without change, incredible.

If you don't want to change the feature, rename the button "ALL CHECKED PROJECT WITH CHECKED PERMISSION" and add a text to tell us to search the group.

best regards.

Scott B.

Mar 6, 2018, 6:16:34 AM3/6/18
to SonarQube
Hi.

You don't need to be this agressive. Have you tried a newer SonarQube version?

They redesigned these pages.Users and groups are separated now:

So, it's not "at least 1 year without change".
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3

dallas62...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2018, 6:28:25 AM3/6/18
to SonarQube
I am using version: Version 7.0 (build 36138) from Docker for testing,

The confusion is still present:

3 groups created, and still 2 groups displayed in "Global Permission" when the tab "All" is selected.

The sonar-users has no permission and it should be displayed without search.

Scott B.

Mar 6, 2018, 7:05:16 AM3/6/18
to SonarQube
Oh, I see... I'm sorry, you're right. ;-)

G. Ann Campbell

Mar 6, 2018, 8:00:37 AM3/6/18
to SonarQube
Hi,