Helping to build a COVID testing site in Southampton

Nikhil Mistry

Nov 26, 2020, 10:03:33 AM11/26/20
to Southampton Makerspace
Hello all,

My name is Nikhil. I messaged the facebook page enquiring about people who may be interested in coming to help out with building Southampton’s rapid COVID testing facility. I am a researcher from the university of Southampton and we’re based up at a site in Chilworth Science Park. Dave Rowntree advised that I float my request for help on the Slack group and Alistair Brugsch replied suggesting that I send a message on this mailing list.

If anyone is interested, please drop me an email at N.Mi...@soton.ac.uk. We are looking to have a group Zoom call to discuss the tasks we need help with and people can come in and explain where they may be able to help. The plan is to have the call on Monday 30th November at 1:30pm.

Thanks!

Nikhil

Ben Jacobs

Nov 26, 2020, 10:42:01 AM11/26/20
to Southampton Makerspace
Hi Nikhil

What kind of tasks have you got? Is it mainly assembly and set up of equipment, or electronics, or building fit out?

Regards

Ben

Nikhil Mistry

Nov 26, 2020, 10:46:47 AM11/26/20
to soma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben

It’ll be the actual design and engineering of existing hardware, to combine them and work in a conveyor-type system for testing. It’ll be a mixture of assembly and set up but also manipulating some of it to perform the specific jobs we want them to do.

 In a nutshell, it’s a sort-of scrapheap challenge, whereby we are configuring existing hardware to perform the tasks we need. What might be best is if you were to join our Zoom call on Monday and then Joe (our team leader) can go over what specific help we need.

Thanks,

Nikhil Mistry

Ben Jacobs

Nov 26, 2020, 10:49:35 AM11/26/20