MARC4J build issue: ivy download

Tod Olson

Jan 14, 2021, 2:51:08 PM1/14/21
to solrmarc-tech, Tod Olson
Hi everyone,

MARC4J won't do a clean build right now, the "download-ivy" task reports an HTTP 501 error because Maven Central now requires HTTPS. I'll put in a PR to fix the URL.

Secondly, while I'm at it I plan to bump up the Ivy version. built.xml currently specifies ivy-2.3.0, which dates from 2013. The most recent version ivy-2.5.0, dates from 2019, and seems to work just fine.

-Tod

Robert Haschart

Jan 14, 2021, 3:20:57 PM1/14/21
to solrma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tod.    Demian also has requested that I create a new release merging in the latest changes.   For Marc4j and for SolrMarc.

Tod Olson

Jan 14, 2021, 9:34:03 PM1/14/21
to solrmarc-tech, Tod Olson
I also see a huge number of javadoc warnings. I'd like to address at least some of those. Would you want a PR that just focuses on some javadoc problems?

-Tod

Demian Katz

Jan 15, 2021, 7:55:55 AM1/15/21
to solrma...@googlegroups.com

I can’t speak for Bob, but I’d certainly support cleaning up Javadoc where possible. Are there tools that can automatically correct some of these? Should we consider adding any validation tools to the build process?

(And speaking of the build process, I imagine that SolrMarc may be impacted by Travis’ recent business model changes… I’m working through those problems on the VuFind side and am happy to share my experiences if help is needed).

- Demian

Tod Olson

Jan 15, 2021, 10:36:05 AM1/15/21
to solrma...@googlegroups.com, Tod Olson
These are warnings issued by the javadoc utility, which (surprise!) is run by the javadoc ant task. That's really the authoritative source of warnings. And most of these warnings are about the lack of comments, like no comment on a method or class field, or on a parameter. I think it was with Java 8 that the javadoc util became more insistent about documentation. But I don't think there's an automated way to deal with these.

-Tod

Demian Katz

Jan 15, 2021, 12:00:18 PM1/15/21
to solrma...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, fair enough, no automated tool is going to help with “the Javadoc is missing.” 😊 Sounds like it’s worth chipping away at as time permits, though!