Stolen MacBook - was it encrypted?!

mac98aop

Dec 3, 2019, 7:52:15 AM12/3/19
to Sussex Mac User Group
Friends

Someone pinched my trusty MacBook Pro last week.

My local USB TimeMachine has got me up and running.

What worries me is the data on the MBP. I thought I'd turned on FileVault, but there's no evidence of that now I've restored from TimeMachine to my family iMac. It simply restored the data to a new user, and FileVault isn't yet switched on, on this iMac. Anything more I can be doing to minimise any further loss?!

I presume the hard disk will simply be wiped clean and the thing sold on, rather than mined for data.

There was a login password, and all important data stored behind 1Password.

Thanks

Adam

Sam - MacAmbulance

Dec 3, 2019, 8:50:22 AM12/3/19
to 'Jason Davies' via Sussex Mac User Group
FIleVault is per-disk, so if you restore TimeMachine backup data to an unencrypted drive then you’ll need to re-enable FIleVault. It doesn’t give any indication as to the encryption state of the old Mac though.

Regards

Sam
MacAmbulance

MacAmbulance Ltd.

Providing Affordable Mac/PC Support and Web Development

Sam Mullen
+44 (0)7747778022
in...@macambulance.co.uk
www.macambulance.co.uk

MacAmbulance Ltd. is a registered company in England & Wales, registration number 8466597

This email is intended solely for the addressed recipients and may contain privileged or confidential information.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.

mac98aop

Dec 3, 2019, 8:57:28 AM12/3/19
to Sussex Mac User Group
Thanks Sam, really good of you to reply so promptly.

I wondered if that was the case, and can now just hope that I did turn FileVault on and that adds a level of protection.

I'm rather tempted to go back to pen and paper and store everything under the bed again ;)

Toby Leighton

Dec 3, 2019, 10:53:26 AM12/3/19
to sm...@googlegroups.com
On your old Mac. If you turn it on and it instantly comes up with your user prompt. And then did the progress bar loading up after accepting your password. You had FileVault enabled.  If it boots up and does a loading progress bar before prompting you to log in. Then instantly shows your desktop then you don’t have full disk FileVault on. (But you might have it enabled just in your home folder).  That’s the nice thing about Mac’s approach o encryption. You kind of forget it’s there.

Hope that hogs a memory