Photos Library size (and one other question!)

mac98aop

Dec 3, 2019, 9:23:42 AM12/3/19
to Sussex Mac User Group
Ok, so I'm once bitten, so about to turn on iCloud Photo Storage as well as my local backup.

- I have found the file PhotosLibrary.photoslibrary. This is 70GB and we have 200GB iCloud family shared storage.
- There is also the file iPhotoLibrary.migratedphotolibrary. This is 100GB, but is this now redundant with all my photos stored in Photos App?

I'm sorting out the replacement Mac after the MBPro theft.
I'm thinking of not keeping family photos on my work machine at all, and suspect 128GB SSD will now therefore be plenty. What's the best way of working out what I currently use - DaisyDisk, or is there a Finder view?

Thanks

Adam

Sam - MacAmbulance

Dec 3, 2019, 9:31:06 AM12/3/19
to 'Jason Davies' via Sussex Mac User Group
128GB is far too small in my experience, even with optimised storage on iCloud. Data does still need to be downloaded and stored on the Mac. 256GB is the absolute minimum I’d recommend unless if you’re a very light user.

iPhotoLibrary.migratedphotolibrary is taking up 100GB of space, but shares 70GB of its space with the new PhotosLibrary.photoslibrary file. The difference of 30GB is probably Hi-res originals which have been uploaded to iCloud then deleted from the Mac. Both files combined should only be taking up 100GB of actual space due to the hard-linking of files (one image can exist in both libraries despite only taking up space for one file).

Sam
MacAmbulance

MacAmbulance Ltd.

Providing Affordable Mac/PC Support and Web Development

Sam Mullen
+44 (0)7747778022
in...@macambulance.co.uk
www.macambulance.co.uk

MacAmbulance Ltd. is a registered company in England & Wales, registration number 8466597

This email is intended solely for the addressed recipients and may contain privileged or confidential information.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.

mac98aop

Dec 3, 2019, 9:38:55 AM12/3/19
to Sussex Mac User Group
Ok, thanks.

So the baseline Mac Mini of 128GB is too small? Sounds like I should get 256GB as a minimum as I'm not a light user per se. How do I see what a breakdown of what I currently use?

Thanks for explanation re iPhotoLibrary. I'm a little confused though I'm afraid! I take it I can't delete iPhotoLibrary on assumption that all now in PhotosLibrary?

But either way, you suggest my total library size is approx 100GB? (Sounds a lot, albeit 11k photos going back to 2003 - but my image sized were v small back then!)

Thanks

Sam - MacAmbulance

mac98aop

Dec 3, 2019, 10:42:47 AM12/3/19
to Sussex Mac User Group
Yes, they're both there.

It's just whether I should allow for 70GB to iCloud Storage (that's the PhotosLibrary size)
Or 100GB (that's appearing as the iPhotoLibrary size)

Seems odd that the former format is the larger size (unless there's new compression magic going on?!)

Sam - MacAmbulance

Dec 3, 2019, 10:45:44 AM12/3/19
to sm...@googlegroups.com
It’s moot really, you can only upload the Photos Library to iCloud, unless if you want to re-import the old iPhotos library and lose any photos you’ve added since swapping over from iPhotos to Photos

Sam
MacAmbulance

MacAmbulance Ltd.

Providing Affordable Mac/PC Support and Web Development

Sam Mullen
+44 (0)7747778022
in...@macambulance.co.uk
www.macambulance.co.uk

MacAmbulance Ltd. is a registered company in England & Wales, registration number 8466597

This email is intended solely for the addressed recipients and may contain privileged or confidential information.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smug/cef8c68f-f45e-4ede-b2f2-b519ac11bd74%40googlegroups.com.

mac98aop

Dec 3, 2019, 10:55:36 AM12/3/19
to Sussex Mac User Group
Sorry, that's what I'm trying (and failing) to ask!

I presume all my previous photos from my iPhotosLibrary, now appear in my Photos Library, regardless of whether my Mac can access the iPhotosLibrary, ie, they've been imported.

Hence, if I backup Photos to iCloud, all my photos (from both iPhoto and Photos) will be safely stored there too.

?