Temperature Readings Stuck at -1C

Brad

Jun 19, 2020, 1:46:27 AM6/19/20
to Smoothieware Support
Hi,

I'm having an issue with setting up my thermistors. I'm using simplify 3d to monitor the temperatures and the temperature for T, T1, and T2 all display -1C. The bed is displaying correctly as B:22.6/0. I believe it's a configuration issue because if I unplug the bed thermistor connector and plug it into the slot for any of the other ports B will change to inf but none of the T designated temperature monitors will change from -1C. I have checked pin 0.23, 0.24, and 0.25 and they are all at 3.3v. Again I think this is an issue with the config but I can't seem to find the issue that would make the ports completely unresponsive.

## Temperature control configuration

# First hotend configuration
temperature_control.hotend.enable            true             # Whether to activate this ( "hotend" ) module at all.
temperature_control.hotend.thermistor_pin    0.23             # Pin for the thermistor to read
temperature_control.hotend.heater_pin        1.23              # Pin that controls the heater, set to nc if a readonly thermistor is being defined
temperature_control.hotend.sensor           Honeywell100K        # See http://smoothieware.org/temperaturecontrol#toc5
#temperature_control.hotend.beta             4066             # Or set the beta value
temperature_control.hotend.set_m_code        104              # M-code to set the temperature for this module
temperature_control.hotend.set_and_wait_m_code 109            # M-code to set-and-wait for this module
temperature_control.hotend.designator        T                # Designator letter for this module
temperature_control.hotend.max_temp         80              # Set maximum temperature - Will prevent heating above 300 by default
temperature_control.hotend.min_temp         0                # Set minimum temperature - Will prevent heating below if set
temperature_control.hotend.pwm_frequency     20

# Safety control is enabled by default and can be overidden here, the values show the defaults
temperature_control.hotend.runaway_heating_timeout      1000# How long it can take to heat up, max is 2040 seconds.
temperature_control.hotend.runaway_cooling_timeout        0  # How long it can take to cool down if temp is set lower, max is 2040 seconds
temperature_control.hotend.runaway_range                50   # How far from the set temperature it can wander, max setting is 63°C

# PID configuration extruder 1
temperature_control.hotend.p_factor         60.1              # P ( proportional ) factor
temperature_control.hotend.i_factor         1.274            # I ( integral ) factor
temperature_control.hotend.d_factor         708              # D ( derivative ) factor

# Second hotend configuration
temperature_control.hotend2.enable            true           # Whether to activate this ( "hotend" ) module at all.
temperature_control.hotend2.thermistor_pin       0.24           # Pin for the thermistor to read
temperature_control.hotend2.heater_pin        1.31           # Pin that controls the heater
temperature_control.hotend2.sensor           Honeywell100K      # See http://smoothieware.org/temperaturecontrol#thermistor
#temperature_control.hotend2.beta             4066           # or set the beta value
temperature_control.hotend2.set_m_code        104            # M-code to set the temperature for this module
temperature_control.hotend2.set_and_wait_m_code 109          # M-code to set-and-wait for this module
temperature_control.hotend2.designator        T1             # Designator letter for this module
temperature_control.hotend2.max_temp         100              # Set maximum temperature - Will prevent heating above 300 by default
temperature_control.hotend2.pwm_frequency     20

# PID configuration extruder 2
temperature_control.hotend2.p_factor          23.6           # P ( proportional ) factor
temperature_control.hotend2.i_factor          1.873          # I ( integral ) factor
temperature_control.hotend2.d_factor          75             # D ( derivative ) factor

# Safety control is enabled by default and can be overidden here, the values show the defaults
temperature_control.hotend2.runaway_heating_timeout      1000# How long it can take to heat up, max is 2040 seconds.
temperature_control.hotend2.runaway_cooling_timeout        0  # How long it can take to cool down if temp is set lower, max is 2040 seconds
temperature_control.hotend2.runaway_range                50   # How far from the set temperature it can wander, max setting is 63°C
#temperature_control.hotend2.max_pwm          255              # Max pwm, 64 is a good value if driving a 12v resistor with 24v.

# Third hotend configuration
temperature_control.hotend3.enable            true           # Whether to activate this ( "hotend" ) module at all.
temperature_control.hotend3.thermistor_pin       0.25           # Pin for the thermistor to read
temperature_control.hotend3.heater_pin        1.30           # Pin that controls the heater
temperature_control.hotend3.sensor           Honeywell100K      # See http://smoothieware.org/temperaturecontrol#thermistor
#temperature_control.hotend3.beta             4066           # or set the beta value
temperature_control.hotend3.set_m_code        104            # M-code to set the temperature for this module
temperature_control.hotend3.set_and_wait_m_code 109          # M-code to set-and-wait for this module
temperature_control.hotend3.designator        T2             # Designator letter for this module
temperature_control.hotend3.max_temp         100              # Set maximum temperature - Will prevent heating above 300 by default
temperature_control.hotend3.pwm_frequency     20

# PID configuration extruder 3
temperature_control.hotend3.p_factor          23.6           # P ( proportional ) factor
temperature_control.hotend3.i_factor          1.873          # I ( integral ) factor
temperature_control.hotend3.d_factor          75             # D ( derivative ) factor

# Safety control is enabled by default and can be overidden here, the values show the defaults
temperature_control.hotend3.runaway_heating_timeout      1000# How long it can take to heat up, max is 2040 seconds.
temperature_control.hotend3.runaway_cooling_timeout        0  # How long it can take to cool down if temp is set lower, max is 2040 seconds
temperature_control.hotend3.runaway_range                50   # How far from the set temperature it can wander, max setting is 63°C

temperature_control.bed.enable               true             # Whether to activate this ( "hotend" ) module at all.
temperature_control.bed.thermistor_pin       0.26             # Pin for the thermistor to read
temperature_control.bed.heater_pin           2.7              # Pin that controls the heater
temperature_control.bed.thermistor           Honeywell100K    # See http://smoothieware.org/temperaturecontrol#thermistor
#temperature_control.bed.beta                3974             # Or set the beta value
temperature_control.bed.set_m_code           140              # M-code to set the temperature for this module
temperature_control.bed.set_and_wait_m_code  190              # M-code to set-and-wait for this module
temperature_control.bed.designator           B                # Designator letter for this module

# Bang-bang ( simplified ) control
temperature_control.bed.bang_bang           true            # Set to true to use bang bang control rather than PID
temperature_control.bed.hysteresis          5.0              # Set to the temperature in degrees C to use as hysteresis

wolfmanjm

Jun 19, 2020, 5:02:31 AM6/19/20
to Smoothieware Support
first try to see the temp from a console instead of s3d (which has never really been smoothie friendly). If they actually do read -1 then it looks like a H/W issue. The config looks fine.

Arthur Wolf

Jun 19, 2020, 5:40:21 AM6/19/20
to Smoothieware Support
To add to what Jim said:

* You should paste your config to pastebin and give us the link, instead of posting the contents directly here ( the documentation asks you to do this )
* You should try using Pronterface to get better information ( again, documentation says to do this )

If you want help, the most basic thing to do before asking, is to go over the documentation to see if there's an answer to your question, and to see how to ask questions.
If you don't follow the documentation, you are making us do work in your place, which isn't very nice.

勇気とユーモア

Bdownhill

Jun 19, 2020, 10:31:11 PM6/19/20
to smoothiewa...@googlegroups.com
Arthur I'm sorry I forgot to check the asking for help documentation (went straight to the smoothieware google group from email) and that was extremely inconsiderate of me.

The board type is Smoothieboard X5 V1.1 from Everlast Concepts LLC. I'm using Windows 10 and it is for a 3d printer.
The pastebin link is https://pastebin.com/EHRxBeXN
I have Pronterface installed now from the prepackaged Printrun-win-18Nov2017 version of pronterface.

When I connect to the board using pronterface my temperatures are reported as (T:-1/0.0 @0 T1:-1/0.0 @0 T2:-1/0.0 @0 B:19.4/0 @0) with the T-T2 thermistors unplugged or plugged in they do not change temperatures. With the bed thermistor plugged in it reports 19.4/0 and with it unplugged inf/0.

wolfmanjm mentioned it may be a hardware issue if another console reported the same results is there anything else I can try to troubleshoot the unresponsiveness of these pins or would it require a new board to fix the issue? Also do you know what could cause issues on only 3 of the 4 thermistor ports instead of knocking all 4 out?

Arthur Wolf

Jun 20, 2020, 4:29:28 AM6/20/20
to Smoothieware Support
Can you try using the thermistor input you are not currently using ( of course also modify the pin in config ), and see if that changes anything ?

--
勇気とユーモア

Bdownhill

Jun 20, 2020, 5:46:57 AM6/20/20
to smoothiewa...@googlegroups.com
Before changing the config I wanted to confirm that the sensor was working and responsive. I heated the bed with a heat gun and it went from 18c to 30c fairly quickly so the thermistor is working correctly when connected to P(0.26) and the AGND between pin T3 and T4. I'm going to assume the thermistor is known to be good from this test.

I then unplugged the connector and moved it down 2 pins so it is on P(0.25) and AGND between T3 and T2. Pronterface displayed T2:-1/0 and B went to inf.
I then unplugged the connector and moved it down 2 pins from there (4 total) so it is on P(0.24) and AGND between T2 and T1. Pronterface displayed T1:-1/0 and B stayed at inf.
I then unplugged the connector and moved it down 2 pins from there (6 total) so it is on P(0.23) and AGND between T1 and end of board. Pronterface displayed T:-1/0 and B stayed at inf
I then plugged the connector back to the original P(0.26) and AGND between pin T3 and T4. Pronterface displayed T:-1/0 T1:-1/0 T2:-1/0 and B:21.1/0.

So moving the known good thermistor across each pair of pins didn't result in correct temperature readings. From there I went to change pin numbers in the config file. between each change I unplugged the board from a laptop that is not plugged in to avoid ground loops and the laptop is the only thing providing power to the board.

With the first extruder thermistor pin changed from 0.23 to 0.26 and the bed thermistor pin changed from 0.26 to 0.23. Thermistor connector is on P0.26 and its AGND pin. Pronterface displays  T:-1/0 T1:-1/0 T2:-1/0 and B:inf/0. If the connector is moved to P0.23 the bed displays B:19/0 and when it is removed it returns to B:inf/0.

Then I set the first extruder back to P0.23, made the second extruder 0.25 and third extruder 0.26 and made the bed 0.24. All of the extruder labeled pins would report -1/0 but when I plugged the thermistor into the corresponding pins assigned to the bed it would report 18.7/0.

Finally I set the first extruder to P0.23, second extruder P0.24 third extruder 0.26 and the bed 0.25. All extruder labeled pins still report -1/0 and when I plug the thermistor into the pins assigned to the bed it goes from inf to 18.5/0.

So it would seem the board hardware is working correctly because when the thermistor is plugged into any port that is labeled for the bed in the config it works correctly. However if it is labeled any extruder it doesn't work correctly until it's plugged into a pin assigned to the bed.
I also tried to change extruder 3 to false so it would only report for the first two because I was thinking there may be something I missed with flashing (Similar to the Make axis=6 reflash) and that the board was only expecting two extruders. That did not change the temperature results; it only took off the T2 report from pronterface.

Arthur Wolf

Jun 20, 2020, 5:53:53 AM6/20/20
to Smoothieware Support
Am I understanding correctly that if the bed thermistor is plugged into 0.23, you get a temp reading of 19, but if you plug the hotend thermistor in that same connector, you get -1 ?

--
勇気とユーモア

Arthur Wolf

Jun 20, 2020, 5:55:50 AM6/20/20
to Smoothieware Support
Your config is too old.

As the documentation requests, before asking for help, it is mandatory to upgrade both your firmware, and your config file ( by getting the most recent example file, and porting your values over to it one by one ) to the latest version.
--
勇気とユーモア

wolfmanjm

Jun 20, 2020, 2:00:29 PM6/20/20
to Smoothieware Support
also hook up a ctdi to the uart and see if you get any boot error messages
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to smoothieware-support+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

--
勇気とユーモア

勇気とユーモア

Bdownhill

Jun 21, 2020, 12:32:47 AM6/21/20
to smoothiewa...@googlegroups.com
New config is  https://pastebin.com/dAU4KCvU

The temperatures appear to report correctly under the jog controls in pronterface but pronterface is now reporting approximately every 3 seconds.

[ERROR] Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "printrun\pronterface.pyc", line 1746, in update_tempdisplay
ValueError: could not convert string to float:

It will also report this immediately if I send it the M105 command
When I plug into another printer with a smoothieboard X5 V1.1 from Everlast Concepts pronterface does not report this error however that printer is on firmware flashed on  3/24/2019. This one will report the temperature without the error when sent the M105 command.

勇気とユーモア

勇気とユーモア

Arthur Wolf

Jun 21, 2020, 3:18:13 AM6/21/20
to Smoothieware Support
Video of your Pronterface screen repeatedly throwing the issue, please. ( also of entering M105 manually, and also of entering G2 I20 )

Thanks!

--
勇気とユーモア

Bdownhill

Jun 22, 2020, 3:30:51 AM6/22/20
to smoothiewa...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the error was occurring because of an issue with my extruder thermistors not having a solid enough connection. That has been fixed now and pronterface is displaying the correct temperatures and no longer showing any errors. Thank you Arthur and Wolfmanjm.

Do I need to recompile the board for 6 axis to get the third extruder temperature control? The planned setup is 2 extruder heaters, a chamber heater, and a heated bed but since most slicers I've seen dont allow a second bed I was thinking I could control the chamber heater with an extruder temperature control and use T2 to set the temperature.
If I make the temperature_control.hotend3.enable false then I can turn both extruders on and off individually and that works correctly.

If I change that line to true and turn on extruder T0 it will also turn on T2. If I turn on T1 it will also turn on T2.  If I turn on either of the first two extruder heaters it will also turn on the third (chamber heater). I have changed the settings in pronterface to 3 extruders but it wont let me toggle to T2, if I send T2 pronterface responds with invalid tool.

I double checked the pins and all three of the extruders have different heater pins.
Am I going about this the completely wrong way? I am trying to control the chamber heater similar to a bed with bang bang control. The documentation sounded like I should only have to recompile if I add a third extruder module, but shouldn't need to to add a temperature control module, am I understanding that correctly?

most recent config https://pastebin.com/Ct3NtxFd

Thank you again to both Arthur and Wolfmanjm for your patience and help.

wolfmanjm

Jun 22, 2020, 6:58:42 AM6/22/20
to Smoothieware Support
NO you do not need to use axis=nnn as you do not have more axis (default is 5 anyway). temperature controls have nothing to do with axis.

The only limitation on how many temperature controls you can have is memory, and size of config. Hooking up an FTDI to the uart will tell you if you run out of either.

Too many temp controls will run out of memory, you can release some memory by disabling any modules you do not need. Also comment out any lines in config that are not used as this saves memory when reading the config file.

wolfmanjm