smoothieware for Voron 2.2 - quad gantry leveling

Christopher Lang

Dec 5, 2019, 6:39:13 AM12/5/19
to Smoothie-Dev
Hi,

are there any plans to include quad gantry leveling into smoothieware for a Voron 2.2 printer? The Voron 2.2 seems to be a hot corexy in the moment (I am building one :-) ).

I looked in the smoothieware code and there are A/B/C/delta/epsilon/zeta motors there for CNC.

I think it can be done.

In case there are no plans to include that I'd like to start it. In this case, could you please give me a few hints on where to start looking in the code? I know the code somewhat (I adapted smoothieware to my custom LPC1768 board already).

The quad gantry leveling should  be a new zprobe strategy I think.

But where goes the stepping for the additional motors? Into Robot.cpp?

A few lines of text to kickstart me on coding the "quad gantry leveling" (and to get three more Z motors "stepped") would be much appreciated.

many thanks
Chris

Arthur Wolf

Dec 5, 2019, 6:41:32 AM12/5/19
to Christopher Lang, Smoothie-Dev
This is currently supported.
This isn't as integrated as it could be, but it works. I have plans to make this easier/more integrated in the future.

勇気と気分

Christopher Lang

Dec 5, 2019, 7:02:56 AM12/5/19
to Smoothie-Dev

Hi Arthur,
thanks. Well, that would mean using the inductive probe of the printer as an "endstop" and home towards the build plate separately for each motor. Just wondering, when the "enable" of the driver is released, doesn't that release the motor magnetically and the motor "jumps" to the next full step?

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 12:39 PM Christopher Lang <christo...@acurana.de> wrote:
[...]

Arthur Wolf

Dec 5, 2019, 7:05:40 AM12/5/19
On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 1:02 PM Christopher Lang <christop...@acurana.de> wrote:

Hi Arthur,
thanks. Well, that would mean using the inductive probe of the printer as an "endstop" and home towards the build plate separately for each motor.

You can do it that way, with G30 on each corner, or you can use endstops on each corner wired in parralel, either way is known to work.

Just wondering, when the "enable" of the driver is released, doesn't that release the motor magnetically and the motor "jumps" to the next full step?

That's why the instructions don't toggle the "enable" pin, instead they toggle the ground connection of the "step" pin, thus essentially selectively disabling the step signal to the motors we don't want to move.

[...]

Christopher Lang

Dec 5, 2019, 7:11:26 AM12/5/19
to Smoothie-Dev
yep, I just read it. "Alternative wiring" using an AND gate on the step pin. I'll try it out...

Arthur Wolf

Dec 5, 2019, 7:18:55 AM12/5/19
to Christopher Lang, Smoothie-Dev
You don't even need an and gate, the open-drain method will work without any additional component.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smoothie-dev/55e21ded-b15f-4ea9-97de-5a29b86c6f5e%40googlegroups.com.

--
勇気と気分

Christopher Lang

Dec 5, 2019, 7:33:01 AM12/5/19
to Smoothie-Dev
the open-drain method is a god idea, it might not work on my board. I'll check it out...