Subversion 1.10

jsi...@theopalgroup.com

Jun 20, 2018, 12:33:56 AM6/20/18
to SmartSVN
Hi,

Is there any information available on when support for subversion 1.10 will be available in SmartSVN? Thanks!

-Joe

SmartSVN Support

Jun 20, 2018, 5:18:14 AM6/20/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

Just curious: why do you intent to use Subversion 1.10? According to my knowledge, the used JavaHL API, unfortunately, does not yet support the new interactive conflict solver or the experimental shelving. So only improved path-based authorization and lz4 compression remain as tiny benefits.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

jsi...@theopalgroup.com

Jun 20, 2018, 8:36:07 AM6/20/18
to SmartSVN
My hope was to see improvements in history retention for move operations. Since this is part of the new conflict resolver, I wasn't sure if we'd see improvements in SmartSVN though. SmartGit seems to detect & handle moves a lot better than SmartSVN, but I've not done any real comparison to see how true that is.

Also, while experimental, I am really looking forward to SVN finally having some sort of stash mechanic via shelving.

Thanks!
-Joe

SmartSVN Support

Jun 20, 2018, 10:44:39 AM6/20/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

> SmartGit seems to detect & handle moves a lot better than
> SmartSVN, but I've not done any real comparison to see how true that is.

Hm, well, (Smart)SVN uses explicit move/rename whereas (Smart)Git detects it automatically.

> Also, while experimental, I am really looking forward to SVN finally having some
> sort of stash mechanic via shelving.

The shelving should be reworked/improved in SVN 1.11:

<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SVN/Shelving+in+Svn-trunk>

E.g., SVN 1.11 should support binary files, too, if implemented as planned.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/55709ba8-2699-4ac1-afcb-0f017f5317b1%40googlegroups.com.

Steven Blackburn

Oct 4, 2018, 3:20:57 AM10/4/18
to SmartSVN
On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 05:33:56 UTC+1, jsi...@theopalgroup.com wrote:
> Is there any information available on when support for subversion 1.10 will be available in SmartSVN? Thanks!

I've joined the group to ask the same question.

We currently use a combination of svn command line and Eclipse / subclipse. We would like to upgrade to svn 1.10 but it breaks subclipse (complains about JavaHL 1.9 not being present). I'd like to suggest to my team that we move away from Eclipse as our primary IDE but people like the GUI browser, so we reverted to 1.9.

SmartSVN looks like it might provide the GUI we desire but ideally it would follow the svn releases (which are about to become more frequent). It would not have to implement all of the new features, as we are happy to use the command line where necessary (e.g. the conflict resolver), but should not become a barrier to upgrading the core svn: we already have Eclipse for that :-)

So to expand on Joe's question... when will 1.10 be supported (either in GUI or JavaHL) and how frequently do you plan for SmartSVN to be released following Subversion's move to a six-monthly cycle?

Kind regards,

Steve.

SmartSVN Support

Oct 4, 2018, 9:44:04 AM10/4/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steven,

We don't like SVN's new 6-month release cycle because our version naming was mapped to the Subversion naming since ages, but don't want to be forced into a 6-month release cycle by SVN (but prefer 1 release per year). Customers won't understand why there are too frequent new versions without any noticeable new features. For example, in SVN 1.10 there were introduced a couple of experimental features like shelving that were turned upside down in SVN 1.11 and, according to my knowledge are not yet supported by all language bindings.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/f991994b-98ce-448d-8b6f-fd47afd05e89%40googlegroups.com.

Steven Blackburn

Oct 4, 2018, 11:23:32 AM10/4/18
to SmartSVN
On Thursday, 4 October 2018 14:44:04 UTC+1, SmartSVN Support wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>
> We don't like SVN's new 6-month release cycle because our version naming was mapped to the Subversion naming since ages, but don't want to be forced into a 6-month release cycle by SVN (but prefer 1 release per year). Customers won't understand why there are too frequent new versions without any noticeable new features. For example, in SVN 1.10 there were introduced a couple of experimental features like shelving that were turned upside down in SVN 1.11 and, according to my knowledge are not yet supported by all language bindings.

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm not worried about SmartSVN naming but am concerned that the program might be incompatible with svn 1.10. I don't need the experimental features: it would not be a deal-breaker even if they were supported by the binding you use. At the moment we would like to use the command-line conflict resolver but are unable to upgrade to svn 1.10 because Eclipse (which we use as a graphical client for repo browsing and most commits) won't run with it due to the "wrong JavaHL version".

Can you confirm that SmartSVN 9.3.1 will run with a Linux system that only has svn 1.10 installed (or svn 1.11 when it is released)? If so, the infrequent releases of SmartSVN will not be a huge issue.

I agree that companies don't like weekly or monthly releases of products but there has only been one major release and one point release of SmartSVN this year: there is some frequency in the middle. Aligning with the major Subversion releases, even if it just ensuring you can work with them, seems reasonable. Subversion 1.10 has been out for nearly six months and some notice of compatibility is essential. An indication of the plan for supporting new features would be helpful too: I realise you are limited by the API but will the conflict resolver be implemented (and experimental features?) when svn 1.11 improves the api?

Kind regards,

Steve.

SmartSVN Support

Oct 8, 2018, 10:13:33 AM10/8/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Please give SmartSVN 10 preview 2 a try:

<https://www.smartsvn.com/preview>

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/f2ed93c3-b89e-4677-89d1-57ffa9353751%40googlegroups.com.

Satya Mishra

Nov 2, 2018, 10:40:55 AM11/2/18
to SmartSVN
On Thursday, October 4, 2018 at 8:44:04 AM UTC-5, SmartSVN Support wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>
> We don't like SVN's new 6-month release cycle because our version naming was mapped to the Subversion naming since ages, but don't want to be forced into a 6-month release cycle by SVN (but prefer 1 release per year). Customers won't understand why there are too frequent new versions without any noticeable new features. For example, in SVN 1.10 there were introduced a couple of experimental features like shelving that were turned upside down in SVN 1.11 and, according to my knowledge are not yet supported by all language bindings.

<snip>

I'm a bit late to the conversation, but want to add that I'm planning to stay with the 2-year LTS cycle. I think that should be acceptable to majority of your customers.