External diff tool bug

Ryan Lindsay

Jul 17, 2018, 6:55:04 PM7/17/18
to SmartSVN
We use an a diff tool that relies on the ${leftFile} and ${rightFile} arguments. They are fed in correctly with a local change to the working copy or a change in the commit history, but not with an update to the working copy (a change made in the repo).

I think this behavior changed around 4-6 months ago after an update (sorry I cannot be more specific).

I have SmartSVN: version 9.3.1 #7058, installed: #7053

2018-07-17 diff tool setup window.jpg

SmartSVN Support

Jul 18, 2018, 2:24:40 AM7/18/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

> They are fed in correctly with a local change to the working copy or a change in
> the commit history, but not with an update to the working copy (a change made in
> the repo).

This I don't understand. Could you please elaborate a little bit? What steps do I need to do to reproduce? Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

Ryan Lindsay

Jul 18, 2018, 5:58:17 PM7/18/18
to SmartSVN

To reproduce, just set up a batch file or whatever that gets called to do an external compare (like in the image I attached earlier), then launch it (double click on a file in SmartSVN) with local changes and then with remote changes -- the old & new (left file & right file) that are fed in will be flipped in those two cases.

SmartSVN Support

Jul 20, 2018, 2:41:26 AM7/20/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

I can't reproduce this with SmartSVN 9.3 - neither with an external nor with the built-in file compare, neither with double click not with Query | Show Changes.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/2ad459e2-13dc-48bb-a0b2-1c477b0ef28f%40googlegroups.com.

Ryan Lindsay

Aug 4, 2018, 5:31:09 AM8/4/18
to SmartSVN

Further info, so that I can hopefully get a fix...

When comparing changes made locally, the working copy file is correctly ${rightFile}

When comparing changes made remotely, the working copy file is still ${rightFile}, when it should be (and used to be in previous versions on SmartSVN) ${leftFile}

I hope that makes sense. If you try this out with some type of comparison tool, the two different ways (you are comparing a change you made locally to the repo vs. you are comparing a change someone else made in the repo to your local file), it should be obvious.

SmartSVN Support

Aug 6, 2018, 12:52:28 PM8/6/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

What compare command in SmartSVN you are using?

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/2faa325a-5eb1-4bea-a98b-187471ddac7d%40googlegroups.com.

Ryan Lindsay

Aug 14, 2018, 2:01:29 PM8/14/18
to SmartSVN
On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 9:52:28 AM UTC-7, SmartSVN Support wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> What compare command in SmartSVN you are using?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Thomas Singer
> syntevo GmbH
> http://www.syntevo.com

Please see attached screenshot. Sorry for the delay, but I hope this answers your question.

2018-08-14 SmartSVN compare tool screenshot.jpg

SmartSVN Support

Aug 15, 2018, 4:41:41 AM8/15/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

I'm meant, what command (menu item) you've invoked in SmartSVN.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/a6b38606-9314-475e-94c2-53728ae0069f%40googlegroups.com.

Ryan Lindsay

Aug 15, 2018, 12:19:57 PM8/15/18
to SmartSVN
On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 1:41:41 AM UTC-7, SmartSVN Support wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> I'm meant, what command (menu item) you've invoked in SmartSVN.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Thomas Singer
> syntevo GmbH

When a local working copy file is not up to date with the HEAD (is a previous version relative to HEAD), all of the below options give the same (incorrect/different than earlier version of SmartSVN) result:
- Double click
- Query, Compare with HEAD
- Query, Compare with Revision... [and choose HEAD]

Again, when there are local changes relative to the repo, or if I double click on a file in a Log window, the changes are shown correctly (the Left and Right file parameters are fed in correctly).

SmartSVN Support

Aug 16, 2018, 8:57:50 AM8/16/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

I only can reproduce the problem partly. The working copy file needs to be modified and there needs to be a newer revision at the HEAD.

> - Double click

Without local modification, the double-click (or Query | Show Changes) would try to open the working copy file. Only for local modifications, double-click (or Query | Show Changes) a compare is opened, but it compares with the pristine copy (not HEAD), so the modified working copy is newer and hence it is shown at the right.

> - Query, Compare with HEAD
> - Query, Compare with Revision... [and choose HEAD]

Both is new, the working copy and the HEAD, so it is unclear what to put where so we decided to use the (modified) working copy content at the right.

For unmodified working copy, Compare with HEAD or Compare with Revision would have to first compare the local revision with the remote revision to decide which content to show where, but is this really worth the effort?

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/3788881f-c961-4208-8617-c40c59b1360b%40googlegroups.com.

SmartSVN Support

Aug 16, 2018, 9:07:01 AM8/16/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
> For unmodified working copy, Compare with HEAD or Compare with Revision would have
> to first compare the local revision with the remote revision to decide which
> content to show where

I've added this improvement request as SU-19405 to our internal issue tracker, but with low priority.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/1534424268.883403.299412941%40smart.

Ryan Lindsay

Aug 23, 2018, 10:05:52 PM8/23/18
to SmartSVN
On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 5:57:50 AM UTC-7, SmartSVN Support wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> I only can reproduce the problem partly. The working copy file needs to be modified and there needs to be a newer revision at the HEAD.
>
> > - Double click
>
> Without local modification, the double-click (or Query | Show Changes) would try to open the working copy file. Only for local modifications, double-click (or Query | Show Changes) a compare is opened, but it compares with the pristine copy (not HEAD), so the modified working copy is newer and hence it is shown at the right.
>
> > - Query, Compare with HEAD
> > - Query, Compare with Revision... [and choose HEAD]
>
> Both is new, the working copy and the HEAD, so it is unclear what to put where so we decided to use the (modified) working copy content at the right.
>
> For unmodified working copy, Compare with HEAD or Compare with Revision would have to first compare the local revision with the remote revision to decide which content to show where, but is this really worth the effort?

I will explain using a text file and the built in SmartSVN comparison tool, which has the same behavior (meaning that it changed compared to previous versions of SmartSVN).

With a modified working copy relative to (newer than) the repo (HEAD), when you double click, the compare has the repo (old, pristine) copy on the left and local working (new) copy on the right. This is expected.

With an unmodified working copy, and with the repo (HEAD) changed relative to (newer than) the working copy, when you double click, the compare has the repo (new) copy on the left and local working (old) copy on the right. This is NOT expected.

With a Word file comparison tool, this inconsistent behavior is VERY inconvenient. It means that in the latter case new text is crossed out and old text is shown as being added.

It sounds like SU-19405 does not describe the fix I am asking for. I do not want a new feature, I would like SmartSVN to consistently perform comparisons -- in the same way it had in previous versions for many years.

SmartSVN Support

Aug 24, 2018, 1:05:11 AM8/24/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

> It sounds like SU-19405 does not describe the fix I am asking for. I do not want a
> new feature, I would like SmartSVN to consistently perform comparisons -- in the
> same way it had in previous versions for many years.

Which last SmartSVN version works as expected for you?

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/9e684b14-39db-4c77-b0a5-6fa01e24c7c0%40googlegroups.com.

Ryan Lindsay

Aug 24, 2018, 12:35:22 PM8/24/18
to SmartSVN
On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 10:05:11 PM UTC-7, SmartSVN Support wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> > It sounds like SU-19405 does not describe the fix I am asking for. I do not want a
> > new feature, I would like SmartSVN to consistently perform comparisons -- in the
> > same way it had in previous versions for many years.
>
> Which last SmartSVN version works as expected for you?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Thomas Singer
> syntevo GmbH
> http://www.syntevo.com

This behavior changed around the beginning of the year after I made an update; sorry I cannot be more specific.

SmartSVN Support

Aug 24, 2018, 1:47:00 PM8/24/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Please check your SmartSVN settings directory for subdirectories of previous versions. You can find older versions to try at

<https://www.smartsvn.com/download/archive/>

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/c6635174-68cd-4b91-815d-8f6aa9642461%40googlegroups.com.

Ryan Lindsay

Aug 24, 2018, 3:55:57 PM8/24/18
to SmartSVN
On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 10:47:00 AM UTC-7, SmartSVN Support wrote:
> Please check your SmartSVN settings directory for subdirectories of previous versions. You can find older versions to try at
>
> <https://www.smartsvn.com/download/archive/>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Thomas Singer
> syntevo GmbH
> http://www.syntevo.com

Attached is what my Settings Path looks like.

2018-08-24 SmartSVN settings folder.png

SmartSVN Support

Aug 27, 2018, 7:08:01 AM8/27/18
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

What older SmartSVN version have you found out that worked as you like it to behave?

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer