[qhanzi,kanji] Restart SOI server

Ben Bullock

Apr 4, 2022, 10:40:14 PM4/4/22
to sljfaq.org
Someone likes sending their "home made" kanji inputs to my web sites, which are causing it to crash. So I've done some work on improving the protection layer which stops it crashing when people send inputs full of blank lines and strokes with a single point and so on. Since the same software is in use on all of qhanzi.com and kanji.sljfaq.org and the 2022 version of the site, I've rebuilt and restarted all the servers.

In other news, I have finally got my Japanese back from the checker, so I'll be updating the notice later on today.

Ben Bullock

Apr 7, 2022, 7:27:57 PM4/7/22
to sljfaq.org
On Tuesday, 5 April 2022 at 11:40:14 UTC+9 Ben Bullock wrote:
In other news, I have finally got my Japanese back from the checker, so I'll be updating the notice later on today.

There are a lot of problems with the Japanese I got back. I didn't want to do drastic changes to the site without making a good announcement, so I'm not sure which way to go at the moment.

I've also been working on an overhauled version of the redirection for the site. At the moment when one clicks the kanji one is sent to something like "minidic.cgi?r=感" which looks at the user's cookie and decides where to send them. I'm overhauling this to be a persistent process and also do logging. A few years ago I tried to combine the server logs and the user inputs but it turned out to be much more difficult than I had imagined, so I'm changing the redirect so that it gathers user inputs and logs them. This is not in place yet on the kanji2022 site.

Ben Bullock

Apr 13, 2022, 9:38:10 PM4/13/22
to sljfaq.org
I'm going to go ahead with the update this Sunday morning, 17 April at around 6am.

The Japanese announcement has had the corrections applied, so it should be more readable. Unfortunately the person checking it had some trouble with the work, as I mentioned before, but I think it's basically OK.

There are a few small jobs to complete before it will be 100% ready, but I think it's more or less in good shape now, so I will just finish the remaining jobs, which are to do with logging of results etc.

I think the shape-only matching can probably be unified into the same binary as the stroke-order independent thing, but I'll hold off that change for now.

Ben Bullock

Apr 16, 2022, 5:32:00 PM4/16/22
to sljfaq.org
On Thursday, 14 April 2022 at 10:38:10 UTC+9 Ben Bullock wrote:
I'm going to go ahead with the update this Sunday morning, 17 April at around 6am.

I've now put the overhaul into practice on kanji.sljfaq.org.

There were some issues left over:

I used the wrong name for the shape match server, so that failed to work at first

I forgot that I had turned off the static web page compression, and some pages did not appear.

I had completely forgotten to translate the "shape-match" help page into Japanese. I will do that from now.

Various other issues have cropped up with the system but I think it's all minor stuff and hopefully nobody will notice the problems. The old draw page has been there for fourteen years now.

Ben Bullock

Apr 17, 2022, 4:37:31 PM4/17/22
to sljfaq.org
I've now disabled the test website at kanji2022.sljfaq.org. The site still exists, but it is switched off.

The transition to the new web format at kanji.sljfaq.org has gone OK.

I have a lot of plans, but I'll post more news as things get done.