New 160 meters FW LOOP

Donald Bowders

Nov 2, 2019, 2:51:27 PM11/2/19
to SkyWires
Have had this loop up and tested for a month. Best wire antenna I have ever built. 520 feet of 14 ga. coated flex weave. Rectangular shape 90 ft. spread. 10 feet of 450 ohm ladder line to outside 4:1 current balun and 7 feet of RG 8X coax to tuner. Tunes 160 to 10 with the exception of 10 Mcs. Run legal limit thru it with no problems. Very quiet antenna for all bands. The wire is supported at 29 ft in each corner by tripods and held up in the middle on tree limbs. During none use and storms I have it grounded with separate ground rod.

Just joined the group to give this report and maybe see some new ideas.
73, Don K5HFG

Ronald Johnson

Nov 2, 2019, 7:58:40 PM11/2/19
to skyw...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like u have a winner. Ron KC4EQR

Louis de Kort

Nov 3, 2019, 2:57:28 AM11/3/19
to skyw...@googlegroups.com
Tnx for sharing Don!

I've build a deltaloop for 80m a while ago. Very very good antenna!
Feeding it with 20m coax in a 1:1 balun in the top, no tuner needed for 80,40,20,10m.
Even the Warc bands can be used (with a tuner)
I made it between the tree tops in our outback, so the height is about 15 meters above ground..

I can use it also for 160 meters with a tuner, but thats is not very practical.
Tuning is difficult and very sharp. Only 10 KHz shift gives me a big swr.
.
So your experience is very welcome!

I have a piece of 300 Ohm ladder, presume this wouls work also.

Do you have a drawing off your antenna?

Best 73's,

PA3FTP
Louis de Kort
Tilburg
The Netherlands

John Dennison

Nov 3, 2019, 6:31:52 AM11/3/19
to skyw...@googlegroups.com
Currently building a 1,000 +\- horizontal loop around my home. Suspended at about 30 ft from pine trees. Have a Big Ugly on 6” plastic sewer pipe wrapped with 25’ of RG8. Wireman 13ga antenna to 25’ true latter line 14ga with 5” spacers, from the RG8 at the bottom of the ugly about 5’ to an Ice lightening suppressor with separate ground rod array tied to the utility ground of the shack which is separate from the house, another 15’ to the radio. I don’t think I will need a 4/1 balun except maybe as a transformer.
Any comments welcome.
John Dennison KW4OI
73’s

Sent from my iPhone
John Dennison

> On Nov 2, 2019, at 2:51 PM, Donald Bowders <dlbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Have had this loop up and tested for a month. Best wire antenna I have ever built. 520 feet of 14 ga. coated flex weave. Rectangular shape 90 ft. spread. 10 feet of 450 ohm ladder line to outside 4:1 current balun and 7 feet of RG 8X coax to tuner. Tunes 160 to 10 with the exception of 10 Mcs. Run legal limit thru it with no problems. Very quiet antenna for all bands. The wire is supported at 29 ft in each corner by tripods and held up in the middle on tree limbs. During none use and storms I have it grounded with separate ground rod.
>
> Just joined the group to give this report and maybe see some new ideas.
> 73, Don K5HFG

George Riedel

Nov 3, 2019, 6:39:44 AM11/3/19
to skyw...@googlegroups.com, George Riedel

Hi Ron and the Group

Good read and a great job on the loop.

Your loop is very similar to my construction . You will enjoy it for years to come.

I have had my loop up for about six years, I live just outside of Akron Ohio (Bath Township)

My loop is very quiet also and I am constantly amazed how well and consistent the loop is!!

**I am blessed with many 90 to 100 foot Oak Trees here on our 7 acre home and my loop is

tied to the oak trees making a very large rectangle.

** I used 1 inch plastic pluming  T's for the wire to run inside, (LOWES or Home Depot) and the T's

are tied to the tree limbs with a Dacron Cord purchased from DX Engineering.

** My loop is made out of a commercial grade, 10 awg, 22 stranded copper electrical wire I bought for scrap price.

It is also coated with a plastic coating.

** I hired a tree company for a half a day with a bucket truck (Barberton Tree Service) and We used his Bucket Truck

to elevate the wire and T's and tie them to the oak tree limbs.

**The Tie Points to the trees are at almost 70 foot about the ground, (60 foot is as high as the buck truck would go)

**The antenna wire is a continuous 1,500 linear feet. (A very big loop).

** I also have a 8 foot grounding rod at the base of the pulley where the feed line is , and when storms are coming,

I lower the feed line, then attach both ends of the wire to the grounding rod. KNOCK ON WOOD, it works !

I roll up the Ladder Line Feed and put it on the back porch .

** I have fed the antenna with 300 ohm ladder line for the last six years with wonderful results,

but I  just changed the antenna feed to 600 ohm True Ladder Line. I have noticed a marked improvement in DX contacts.

** The ladder line is fed into an ARRAY Solutions 4:1 Tuner Balun(current) specifically made for Loops and Dipoles.

(AS-200-T is the product #), The balun is right out side the shack and fed into shack with a 15 FT. piece of LMR 400 then hooked to the tuner.

** I normally use an amp with no more than 400 watts, but my auto tuner is on the FRITZ so I am running bare foot.

When the Propagation God's smile, I can hit Europe, eastern Europe and Namibia S.Africa (twice),  and Brazil with 100 watts.

I just lucked out with my research and was able to build a huge Loop and it works as advertised !!

Sorry for being so Long-Winded but SKY WIRE LOOPS - ROCK !!

George N1EZZ

George Riedel

Nov 3, 2019, 6:43:45 AM11/3/19
to skyw...@googlegroups.com
Hey John

Your going to love that big Loop !

George / N1EZZ

Donald Bowders

Nov 3, 2019, 9:43:57 PM11/3/19
to SkyWires
Hello Louis,
I have read tons of loop information. Here are some websites that explain the loop better than I can: http://n1su.com/loop.html and http://www.k5rcd.org/hor%20loop%20instruct.htm
I used the tripods on each of the 4 corners and hung the middle of each leg from trees. The loop does not need to be equal sided but you should get as much space inside the circumference as possible. a circle would probably be better but mine is a rectangle.

Louis de Kort

Nov 4, 2019, 2:23:02 AM11/4/19
to skyw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Donald,

Thank you very much for the info.
Had several articles but not one off these.

Will read it this evening, interesting!

73's

Louis.

Met muzikale groet,

Louis de Kort

Op ma 4 nov. 2019 om 03:43 schreef Donald Bowders <dlbo...@gmail.com>:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/skywires/17be4cc0-5b4e-4bfe-a2b4-43a5f631e969%40googlegroups.com.

Donald Bowders

Nov 11, 2019, 8:44:39 AM11/11/19
to SkyWires
Update: Finally completed tests of the loop. SWR on 6 meter band is under 2:1 from 50 to 54 Mcs. I have not made contacts as of yet but have copied beacon signals and have heard some SSB signals although no strong sigs yet. Highly reccomend this antenna, it is worth the trouble to put up. Hope to hear more comments.
73, Don, K5HFG