Two files open at once? (Sky 8)

AElfwine Mischler

Sep 25, 2020, 11:39:16 AM9/25/20
to SkyInd...@googlegroups.com
I’m going to be starting soon on a humongous project. Four or five separate indexes, cumulative, for 14 to 20 volumes. Three volumes a year.

There will be one subject index, and also three or four name indexes that won’t have subentries. My plan was to put everything in one big master file, and then break out the individual volumes as they’re finished.

I’m planning to do one pass of a few pages to pick up the “mechanical” stuff, and then do a second pass to write the subject index.

Now I’m wondering if it might be better (“safer”) to put the name indexes (which will be long) in one file and the subject index in another. If I do that, is it possible to have two Sky 8 files open at the same time? How? Is it “safe” to have two files open, or they likely to clash with each other?

Has anyone done this?

Ælfwine

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Member, Editorial Freelancers Assoc. (EFA)
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Siusan Moffat

Sep 25, 2020, 11:59:57 AM9/25/20
to AElfwine Mischler, SkyInd...@googlegroups.com

I've often wondered myself! Will be keen on the answer :)

Siusan

Siusan Moffat,
Indexing Society of Canada member
http://about.me/siusanmoffat,
absoluteindexing.com

I acknowledge that I live and work in the traditional
territory of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat,
and the Mississaugas of the Credit River, now home to many
Indigenous Peoples and newcomers from around the globe. I
recognize that decolonization must be an active and ongoing
process of reconciliation.

mary...@aol.com

Sep 25, 2020, 12:20:10 PM9/25/20
to SKYIndexUsers
I don't know about Sky 8 but in Sky 7, it's very easy, just double-click on the program icon on the desktop. The only issue is making sure you are viewing the correct index when you want to enter somethings, but it will be obvious which one is the name index and which the subject index.

Best,
Mar

Rob Gibson

Sep 25, 2020, 1:57:07 PM9/25/20
to Siusan Moffat, AElfwine Mischler, SkyInd...@googlegroups.com
I’ve found you can do this by opening Sky twice, the second time from the start menu. I have done it on several occasions when doing index and legal tabling and haven’t yet had a problem. Giving the two files very different names, using CAPS, can be helpful when navigating from proofs to one or other.

Rob Gibson
Book Indexer
(0044) (0) 7826 558200