Compiling with GCC

ピックスフォルジュ

Jun 28, 2022, 8:19:14 AM6/28/22
to skia-discuss
If I am using Skia with GPU acceleration, will there be much of a performance impact when I have compiled Skia with GCC compared to with Clang?

James Godfrey-Kittle

Jun 28, 2022, 5:16:52 PM6/28/22
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
See https://skia.org/docs/user/build/#supported-and-preferred-compilers -- there are specific features that are known to perform better when you've compiled Skia with Clang, but if you aren't using any of those features you may be fine. Software rasterization is one such feature so at least you're avoiding that.

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 8:19 AM ピックスフォルジュ <jackred...@gmail.com> wrote:
If I am using Skia with GPU acceleration, will there be much of a performance impact when I have compiled Skia with GCC compared to with Clang?

Brian Osman

Jun 28, 2022, 7:52:38 PM6/28/22
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you should be fine using GCC. There is one key place in the code that produces faster (or slower) code, depending on which compiler you use. In that case, MSVC is the only "slow" option, both GCC and Clang should produce similar/fast code.

Brian Osman

Jun 29, 2022, 10:15:34 AM6/29/22
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
... sorry, I went back and remembered that there are two separate places that are impacted by compiler choice. The other one is only going to be fast (ie, use SIMD) with clang. The code that's affected is mostly for the software backend, so the performance drop won't be catastrophic if you're targeting the GPU, but there are still some situations that will be slightly slower.