SKSL UTF*

Clark Kent

Sep 14, 2022, 2:14:19 AM9/14/22
to skia-discuss
does SKSL and related methods (eg, SkRuntimeEffectBuilder::Uniform(char*) ) support UTF8 or only ANSI/ASCII ?

Clark Kent

Sep 14, 2022, 2:23:03 AM9/14/22
to skia-discuss
also do any other methods across Skia support UTF8 or only ANSI/ASCII

also if UTF8 is supported, is UTF16/32 supported as well?

Brian Osman

Sep 14, 2022, 8:55:04 AM9/14/22
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
SkSL only supports ASCII. This is partly because we never really considered supporting UTF-8, but also because the shaders are translated directly into other languages like GLSL, and those languages only support ASCII. Skia's actual text APIs (drawing text, for example) operate on UTF8. I don't think there are any public Skia APIs that accept UTF16 or UTF32.

Clark Kent

Sep 14, 2022, 9:20:34 PM9/14/22
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, so would it be correct to assume all methods related to shaders that accept strings only take ascii?

Eg child names, uniform names, etc

eg, RuntimeShaderBuilder.uniform("UTF💭") = 5; //invalid uniform name