Paging Groups

Brant Kenny

Mar 30, 2021, 6:38:32 PM3/30/21
to sipxcom-users
Hello!  Is there a limit to the number phones which can be included in a paging group?  We were considering using 160 desk phones as an emergency paging group but discovered an issue.  Most of the phone received the page.  Some intermittently received the page.  Others received the page but it's marked as a missed call on our phones.

All of the phones are Polycom 410's.  Thoughts are welcome!

Michael Picher

Mar 30, 2021, 6:44:43 PM3/30/21
to Brant Kenny, sipxcom-users
Did you check the wiki?

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021, 6:38 PM Brant Kenny <bak...@iu12gmail.org> wrote:
Hello!  Is there a limit to the number phones which can be included in a paging group?  We were considering using 160 desk phones as an emergency paging group but discovered an issue.  Most of the phone received the page.  Some intermittently received the page.  Others received the page but it's marked as a missed call on our phones.

All of the phones are Polycom 410's.  Thoughts are welcome!

Nathaniel Watkins

Mar 30, 2021, 6:47:16 PM3/30/21
to Brant Kenny, sipxcom-users
If you want to do large paging groups, you’ll need to look into Polycom’s multicast paging. I believe it’s broken on newer firmware versions.

Brant Kenny

Mar 30, 2021, 6:49:46 PM3/30/21
to sipxcom-users
I did.  There are multiple pages which reference paging groups.  Sipxcom versions referenced are v3 and v4.  Is there a specific page I should reference?

Iuliu Blaga

Mar 30, 2021, 6:52:05 PM3/30/21
to Brant Kenny, sipxcom-users
http://wiki.sipxcom.org/display/unite/Paging+Groups

Note: Paging groups should be limited to a maximum of 20 phones.  Individual call legs are established to each phone, so consider this when using paging at remote locations.  In these instances it may make more sense to utilize an overhead paging device and an FXS or FXO gateway.

Note: For larger paging groups or paging groups at remote locations Polycom phones support multicast paging. This allows all paging traffic to be kept remote and is much more network efficient. See Polycom Handsets Special Configuration Notes.

--

Iuliu Blaga
Sr. Support Engineer

Brant Kenny

Mar 30, 2021, 6:52:34 PM3/30/21
to sipxcom-users
To clarify - newer versions of Sipxcom?

Nathaniel Watkins

Mar 30, 2021, 6:53:37 PM3/30/21
to Brant Kenny, sipxcom-users
Paging through the system seems to breaks down somewhere between 10-20.

Multicast bypasses these limitations.

Brant Kenny

Mar 30, 2021, 6:55:38 PM3/30/21
to sipxcom-users
Ahh, ok.  Thanks, Nathaniel.

Brant Kenny

Mar 30, 2021, 6:56:45 PM3/30/21
to sipxcom-users
Iuliu - thanks so much for the clarification.  I don't have access to the wiki and appreciate the information.