trying to get timeline to work locally

David Van Fleet

Mar 12, 2019, 7:30:43 PM3/12/19
to SIMILE Widgets
calling api.simile-widgets.org/timeline/2.3.1/timeline-api.js in a secure website led to no loading.
even my unsecure site, mgtldr.com, won't load the script
I've tried to write the html code for local use but i'm an amateur and can't get anything to work.
help

I do have it working at http://www.public.asu.edu/~vanfleet/index.html but I'm soon to retire and ASU will shut that site down -- that's why I've move to a GoDaddy server

jjon

May 31, 2019, 3:50:33 PM5/31/19
to SIMILE Widgets
Have a look in the github repository buglist at the conversation that ensued when api.simile-widgets.org first went down some weeks back. David provided detailed instructions on how to host timeline locally, and I was eventually able to make it work.

JC

Jon Crump

Jun 7, 2019, 5:59:23 PM6/7/19
to SIMILE Widgets
Hi again David,
I noticed that your mgt_timeline.html is back up and running, but that it still depends on api.simile-widgets.org. The discussion on GitHub that I mentioned is mostly about Exhibit, which uses Timeline as one of several visualizations; but that discussion, and the github repository generally, might be instructive.

It occurred to me that you might also find instructive my own project: The Itinerary of John. This is Simile's Timeline software only, and I host it all locally so I don't have to depend on api.simile-widgets.

Just thought I'd mention it.
Jon

–– Si vis pacembellum adflicta. ––

David Van Fleet

Jun 7, 2019, 6:16:01 PM6/7/19
to simile-widgets
Jon
I'm tied up with other projects just now but hope to get back to that sometime soon.
Thanks for the info
David