Accessibility questions

Bryan Jonker

Sep 7, 2022, 7:44:17 PM9/7/22
to SIMILE Widgets
Hello! We are using the Simile API / facet role (https://api.simile-widgets.org/exhibit/current/exhibit-api.js) on the site at https://infoqualitylab.org/projects/risrs2020/bibliography/. It's been very useful.

The facets are using links and images of a checkbox instead of an actual checkbox input tag and a corresponding label tag. This means that the checkboxes aren't being treated as actual controls for assistive technology.

As a public institution, we are legally required to ensure that our web sites are accessible (and, it's also the right thing to do). How have others using this dealt with this issue? Is there a way to change these back to traditional checkboxes? Would switching to a different version fix this issue? Thanks!

David Karger

Sep 7, 2022, 8:01:07 PM9/7/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

It is truly amazing to me that a full 15 years agter we deployed exhibit, it is still the best solution for a certain class of problems.   I am aware of no fix for the issue you are raising.   Unfortunately, all those who developed simile-widgets are long gone.  The code itself is open source, and I would welcome contributions to modernize it.  I'd even be happy to help by sharing what I know of the code and discussing ideas.   But we don't have the funds to do this kind of maintenance work ourselves.

Luis Miguel Morillas

Sep 8, 2022, 2:01:34 AM9/8/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Take a look at https://github.com/simile-widgets/exhibit/blob/6bf824e8b99136d5f46f97c3f55bc71a0e176596/scripted/src/scripts/util/facets.js#L241
where facets are drawing.

Yeah, David, I don't know other solution for data interactive
visualization easier than Exhibit. Because Mavo isn't ready to replace
exhibit, is it?

Best,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/simile-widgets/bbe036db-cb45-4115-1f1a-ab1254cd52ab%40mit.edu.

Luis Miguel Morillas

Sep 8, 2022, 2:03:45 AM9/8/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Bryan, I solved some easy issues injecting tags with js.

Saludos,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)

El jue, 8 sept 2022 a las 8:01, Luis Miguel Morillas

Luis Miguel Morillas

Sep 8, 2022, 2:16:22 AM9/8/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Bryan, your page uses the older exhibit 2 syntax. Best, use exhibit 3.
And the main page is broken. Review the tags (jekyll main page and
iframe partial).

Saludos,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)

El jue, 8 sept 2022 a las 8:03, Luis Miguel Morillas

Bryan Jonker

Sep 8, 2022, 3:00:08 PM9/8/22
to SIMILE Widgets
Thanks -- do you have an example of this?

Luis Miguel Morillas

Sep 8, 2022, 4:52:39 PM9/8/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

Luis Miguel Morillas

Sep 11, 2022, 3:09:02 AM9/11/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
This other example could help
https://lmorillas.github.io/exhibit_tests/mapa_inno/index.html Some
functions don't work because the main page where this map was isn't
working anymore.

Best,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)

El jue, 8 sept 2022 a las 22:52, Luis Miguel Morillas

Luis Miguel Morillas

Sep 12, 2022, 3:02:00 AM9/12/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a formatter could help. It's not difficult to add the checkbox,
but you must review the events on the facets. [1] [2]

[1] https://lmorillas.github.io/exhibit_tests/infoqualitylab/
[2] https://github.com/simile-widgets/exhibit/blob/6bf824e8b99136d5f46f97c3f55bc71a0e176596/scripted/src/scripts/util/facets.js

Saludos,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)

El dom, 11 sept 2022 a las 9:08, Luis Miguel Morillas

David Van Fleet

Dec 23, 2022, 3:21:18 PM12/23/22
to SIMILE Widgets

David Karger

Dec 26, 2022, 12:34:16 PM12/26/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

This page doesn't seem to be including the simile timeline script at all; it is only loading simile-ajax