Cranleigh

Dean Collins

Jul 2, 2019, 6:31:11 AM7/2/19
to Silicon Beach (silicon-beach-australia@googlegroups.com)

….lol we are being left behind by minor counties in the UK…. - https://twitter.com/cbock/status/1146002327016542209

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Inc
de...@cognation.net
+1-212-203-4357        New York
+61-2-9016-5642        (Sydney in-dial).
+44-20-3129-6001      (London in-dial).

Silvia Pfeiffer

Jul 2, 2019, 3:22:04 PM7/2/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
You cannot compare the distances in the UK to the distances in Australia - the challenges here for rolling out networks are so much higher.
Not insurmountable, of course, but just more expensive to solve.

The UK is less than a third of the size of NSW.

Had to be said... 😀

silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Silicon Beach Australia" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/silicon-beach-australia/FA13C27070EBDE4E918C20FC36AB9B82023287AFA3%40COGNATIONSVR1.cognation.local.

Dean Collins

Jul 2, 2019, 4:54:21 PM7/2/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

That’s really cool and all……but if the UK is the size of 1/3rd of NSW……we are probably only populating about 1/5th of NSW.

Interestingly London Density= 8,382 square kilometres with a population of 13,709,000 and a density of 1,510 inhabitants per square kilometer
and
Sydney = 4,064 square kilometers with population is 5,029,711  which translates to a density of 1,237…..

which lets face it is pretty close density wise……

But hey…..keep telling me how Australia isn’t the same as other countries……..

Cheers,

Dean

Clifford Heath

Jul 2, 2019, 7:36:10 PM7/2/19
On 3 Jul 2019, at 6:54 am, Dean Collins <De...@cognation.net> wrote:
> That’s really cool and all……but if the UK is the size of 1/3rd of NSW……we are probably only populating about 1/5th of NSW.
>
> Interestingly London Density= 8,382 square kilometres with a population of 13,709,000 and a density of 1,510 inhabitants per square kilometer
> and
> Sydney = 4,064 square kilometers with population is 5,029,711 which translates to a density of 1,237…..
>
> which lets face it is pretty close density wise……
>

> But hey…..keep telling me how Australia isn’t the same as other countries……..

We have a principle of equal access to a minimum Internet standard.

It doesn't matter what the population density in Sydney is, but how much city dwellers are willing to pay so that *everyone else* in the country can have NBN too.

Clifford Heath.

Silvia Pfeiffer

Jul 3, 2019, 2:17:27 PM7/3/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Oh the cities compare, no doubt. It's getting to the remaining 30% of the population where it's very different.

Dean Collins

Jul 3, 2019, 4:20:17 PM7/3/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

Silvia,

Would it surprise you to know that 80% of Australia’s population lives in the top 20 cities……..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Australia_by_population (eg within less than 20 kilometers from each of these 20 cbd’s).

Cranleigh has only 11,000 residents and according to this link doesn’t even come in the top 300 in the UK…… - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_districts_by_population

My point being Silvia unless you are the most ridiculously died in the wool myopic Liberal National voter…..you are going to lose this arguments on facts all day every day
(Source I used to work for an Australian ISP in the 90’s when dsl was deployed…..eg I can dig out files off my server telling you exactly how many dslams you need to cover Australia – its not that many and the LNP party should be arrested charged with treason for what they’ve done to our country – oh and worst of all Malcom knew this space/data and lied his ass off to make it happen all for the filthy lucre and to remain in power).

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Inc
de...@cognation.net
+1-212-203-4357        New York
+61-2-9016-5642        (Sydney in-dial).
+44-20-3129-6001      (London in-dial).

Silvia Pfeiffer

Jul 3, 2019, 4:59:41 PM7/3/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
This is not about politics. It's about sheer geography.

I got my statistics from http://www.run.edu.au/cb_pages/regional_australia.php . And whether it's 20% or 30% of Australians: there's still a very large population for which it is very costly to deploy networking infrastructure.

You can't tell me it costs the same to deploy a network connection to a town that is 13km away from the next big city (like the town Cranleigh that you're pointing to) compared to a city that is 200km from the next big town (e.g. randomly picked Bowen, 200km from Townsville, from

I'm trying to make a logical argument. Where is my logic broken?

Dean Collins

Jul 4, 2019, 9:10:18 AM7/4/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

Because you don’t need to cover the entire country with fibre.

Like I said 20 cities in Australia with a distance of no more than 20k’s from the CBD center you cover 80% of Australia’s population and as long as you aren’t a media owner flunky……that would have been a good thing for the Australian people and the Australian economy.

Dean Collins

Jul 4, 2019, 9:12:25 AM7/4/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

You do realise that all the towns already have dark fiber to each cbd right? Eg that’s how cell towers/phone calls/data already gets there.

I mean I took it as a given you understood that distances between towns is irrelevant and we are only talking last mile issues……but re-reading your comment about Bowen makes me think you don’t get that.

Cheers,

Dean

Because you don’t need to cover the entire country with fibre.

Like I said 20 cities in Australia with a distance of no more than 20k’s from the CBD center you cover 80% of Australia’s population and as long as you aren’t a media owner flunky……that would have been a good thing for the Australian people and the Australian economy.

Dean Collins

Jul 4, 2019, 9:23:02 AM7/4/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

Great tweet I randomly came across - https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1146770542114037760 explaining why Australia can solve its high housing costs by encouraging startups in rural locations “IF” we had high speed internet.

Cheers,

Dean

Jul 9, 2019, 10:54:48 PM7/9/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Your logic doesn't seem broken to me Silvia.

I think as much as the original post intends the best for Australia; it's nothing but clickbait...

Unfortunately the pattern is that once someone has been out of Australia for a while, the essence (and nuance) of what's happening here is lost for them.... it's not a bad thing, but they have chosen to be somewhere else, which is fine, but it is easy to criticise from afar (for all of us i guess :)

The other pattern unfortunately is organisations that call Australia home, but when they need to float, they "flip over" to other countries to avoid tax and thereby avoid contributing back [to the full extent] to the community that fostered them to get to where they are!

simran

Jul 9, 2019, 11:01:32 PM7/9/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
To every complex problem, there is a simple, elegant, beautiful but totally incorrect answer!

Paul F Fraser

Jul 15, 2019, 7:20:32 PM7/15/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
As long as this stays "civil" it is a very interesting discussion.

I think Rudd and Turnbull were duds and the advisers to Canberra not much better.
Pity Dean and Silvia were not called in...

Boeing at present is a very good example of management/costs overiding technical, not to forget the launch of the the ill fated Challenger seals/temperature problem. Not sure if it is well known, but the reason for the need for seals was political,  US states wanted to build parts of the boosters so it was built as modules.

Paul Fraser