Looking for views on choosing a cloud provider

Geoffrey Litman

Jul 23, 2019, 2:09:22 AM7/23/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Who would you choose/recommend and why?

And any advice or ways to get discounts.

have a wonderful day,
Geoff
Optima, Hotel Guest Relationship Oriented,
This email is strictly private and confidential and only intended to be read by the recipients.

drllau

Jul 23, 2019, 7:22:18 PM7/23/19
to Silicon Beach Australia
As someone who wants to encourage Australian retention of tech talent, I'm going to put a shameless plug for OrionVM (@sheng shoutout). It's a Sydney mob with growing branches (even one in US from recollection) ... As for why, they've some technical design comparative advantages for their infiniband frabric which I think would be a competitive edge in latencies when 5G edge devices start coming out. Doesn't hurt that they're cheaper than AWS & Azure

Lawrence

Geoffrey Litman

Jul 23, 2019, 7:28:49 PM7/23/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Great. Thank you. I will get in touch with them.

Have a great day ahead. Geoff

silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Silicon Beach Australia" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/silicon-beach-australia/ae8ad349-b3cd-4a0e-b679-d4acc08d117c%40googlegroups.com.

Nikhil Singh

Jul 23, 2019, 8:50:53 PM7/23/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Here are the factors I look at when choosing something like this

1. Community/Documentation/Libraries/Support/StackOverflow etc
AWS has a massive advantage on this due to the fact that they have been in the marker for longer periods of time plus lots of large initial initial clients. People who left those started building the next set of startups on AWS which caused a network effect.

AWS_vs_Azure_vs_Google_Cloud_Market_Share_2019__What_the_Latest_Data_Shows_-_ParkMyCloud.png

sk
Stack_Overflow_Trends.png
2. Gamut of services
AWS has more than 120 services currently.

3. How much is the company investing (based on new services being added every event)
I think all are investing massively, so no clear winner here.

4. How easy is to find partners/devs
Again based on the market share and market the number of partners/vendors is way ahead for AWS plus finding developers who have used AWS is a larger pool at the moment.

5. Prior experience or bias based on the team
If you or your tech team has a bias towards a cloud based on experience then that always makes a big difference in choosing the cloud provider.

Regarding discounts, you can apply for AWS activate, where you can get some discounts. https://aws.amazon.com/activate/

Hope that helps and best of luck.

CEO/Founder
TekTorch Solutions

Matthew

Aug 5, 2019, 10:15:53 PM8/5/19
to Silicon Beach Australia
+1 on OrionVM - technically great product which is constantly improving, good interface which makes AWS and Azure look stuck in the dark ages and which makes OrionVM actually usable from the minute you sign up and a breadth of cloud services which leaves AWS and Azure for dead.

Stephen Kelly

Aug 5, 2019, 10:23:27 PM8/5/19
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
To me it doesnt matter how 'popular' or used a service is -it depends on what you need the service to provide - what skills you have access to - The google offering is a fairly differnet concept to AWS / Azure

It also depends on whom you clients are (if that matters) - for one project we have enterprise clients - so only certain providers meet their security standards (AWS / Azure / Google) as they do not want to deal with too many.

So it really depends on what skills you have access to, what service style you want and are there any client security requirements?

Thanks
Stephen Kelly
0413 969 969

Visit my Blogs  blog.esri.com.au