5x5 board available?

bali...@yahoo.com

Oct 19, 2020, 3:23:26 PM10/19/20
to SHOGI-L
... for mini-shogi, Kyoto shogi, etc.

Where can I get one?

Nekomado.com used to have them, but they've been "out of stock" for at least a year now:

johnnymam

Oct 31, 2020, 8:54:44 PM10/31/20
to SHOGI-L
ummm.....
Can you hand-make one yourself?  It is not rocket science.
You can go to Home Depot and have them custom cut a piece of wood for you.
Then you can use magic marker to make the grid.
Or if you want to be fancy, you can engrave the grid using a wood burning engraver.

captbirdseye

Nov 1, 2020, 5:58:14 AM11/1/20
to SHOGI-L
On Sunday, 1 November 2020 00:54:44 UTC, johnnymam wrote:
ummm.....
Can you hand-make one yourself?  It is not rocket science.
You can go to Home Depot and have them custom cut a piece of wood for you.
Then you can use magic marker to make the grid.
Or if you want to be fancy, you can engrave the grid using a wood burning engraver.

Another approach is to use fixed-width box drawing characters to draw a board in Open-Office or Word,
print it off, and use double-sided adhesive tape to stick it to a piece of card (photographic mounting card).
If you want to get fancy, you can find a wood-effect background, print that on to the sheet, then put it through
the printer again to get a 'wooden' board.

Alternatively, pass the printed board through a laminator.

I've done loads of boards for Shogi and Shogi variants using this approach. It works pretty well (I would
say that though, wouldn't I...😎).

I've appended a sample the sort of characters I use, plus a very small 2x2 board...

─│┌ ┐└ ├ ┤ ┬ ┴ ┼ ═║╔  ╗╚ ╩ ╟ ╢ ╤ ╧ ╠  ╣

═╗ ╚═╝ ╟─╢

captbirdseye

Nov 1, 2020, 6:00:35 AM11/1/20
to SHOGI-L

On Sunday, 1 November 2020 10:58:14 UTC, captbirdseye wrote:
I've appended a sample the sort of characters I use, plus a very small 2x2 board...

Which seems to have got reformatted by the List software - never mind...

Gabriel Saavedra Morrás

Nov 2, 2020, 7:23:36 AM11/2/20
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Wow, the list characters should be complicated, just add a table and format it as well. That's my way

captbirdseye

Nov 2, 2020, 11:52:59 AM11/2/20
to SHOGI-L

On Monday, 2 November 2020 12:23:36 UTC, Gabriel Saavedra Morrás wrote:
Wow, the list characters should be complicated, just add a table and format it as well. That's my way

Yes, it's unfortunate that the simple 2x2 sample board got mangled.

It's not as horrendously complicated as it looks when get down to it, but yes, using an empty table and
adjusting the cell sizes is probably just as good a way of setting up a paper board, and I have done that
too. Both approaches are fine. I just prefer the 'fixed-width' character approach. Chacun a son gout, as
they say...