sflowtool -H

anu mercian

Jul 21, 2019, 3:02:17 PM7/21/19
to sFlow
Hello,

Are specific setting required to get HTTP information. sflowtool is working normally but when I use the option -H, I get no information. Although the switch is connected to devices with HTTP traffic.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Anu

Zahra Hosseini

Jul 22, 2019, 3:19:32 AM7/22/19
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Hello Anu, how are you?
where  do you use -H ?
i used  get and post method for get information form sflow in my module that  i wrote with java language.

anu mercian

Jul 22, 2019, 1:28:59 PM7/22/19
to sFlow
Hi Zahra,

I am good. Thank you.

I am using -H option on the sflowtool collector server that is received sflow datagrams from switch. The switch is connected servers that are running HTTP traffic.

Does the -H option work for HTTP traffic from and to the switch only?

Thank you,
Anu

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 11:32 PM anu mercian <freebi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

Are specific setting required to get HTTP information. sflowtool is working normally but when I use the option -H, I get no information. Although the switch is connected to devices with HTTP traffic.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Anu

Peter Phaal

Jul 22, 2019, 3:58:54 PM7/22/19
to sFlow
The -H option on sflowtool is used to print sFlow HTTP Structures (https://sflow.org/sflow_http.txt).

The HTTP structures are typically exported by ADC/load balancer devices and web servers (e.g. Apache with mod-sflow) where the information is maintained as part of the normal operation of entity. This information is not readily available to network switches (even more so as HTTP traffic is increasingly encrypted) and so they do not export the HTTP structures. The following article provides examples, https://blog.sflow.com/2011/01/http.html

The HTTP structured include layer 4 socket information that can be used to link measurements from HTTP entities with measurements from switches, see https://blog.sflow.com/2010/08/sflow-host-structures.html

anu mercian

Jul 28, 2019, 4:11:05 PM7/28/19
to sFlow
Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for your explanation.

Thank you,
Anu