How shall i get these flow metrics (srcIp, dstIp, srcPort, dstPort, protcol number, size of first three packets) from the sFlow mininet?

Mohamed Abbas

Jun 16, 2019, 11:38:39 PM6/16/19
to sFlow
Hi All,

I'm Abbas, a student working on a network analytics project. I'm a beginner to the Mininet and sFlow-rt and I have to deal with these seven features ( srcIp, dstIp, srcPort, dstPort, protocol number, size of first three packets )  for my analytics project from a mini net emulated network. I found the sflow-dashboard app has the following features displaying in a chart. Also, I tried checking the API's provided by the sFlow-rt for the metrics and topology. Since the sFlow is based upon the REST-API's, I think I have to use the REST API's for gathering these feature data but still, I would like to get some suggestion from expert community.

Please let me know which is the best way to gather these features only from the sFlow-rt ( mininet ).

Thanks in advance,
Mohamed Abbas M

Peter Phaal

Jun 16, 2019, 11:51:20 PM6/16/19
to sFlow
On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 8:38:39 PM UTC-7, Mohamed Abbas wrote:
I'm Abbas, a student working on a network analytics project. I'm a beginner to the Mininet and sFlow-rt and I have to deal with these seven features ( srcIp, dstIp, srcPort, dstPort, protocol number, size of first three packets )  for my analytics project from a mini net emulated network. I found the sflow-dashboard app has the following features displaying in a chart. Also, I tried checking the API's provided by the sFlow-rt for the metrics and topology. Since the sFlow is based upon the REST-API's, I think I have to use the REST API's for gathering these feature data but still, I would like to get some suggestion from expert community.

Please let me know which is the best way to gather these features only from the sFlow-rt ( mininet ).

sFlow randomly samples packets, so you won't be able to get the size of the first three packets of a connection.The other values can be used to build flows: srcIp, dstIp, srcPort, dstPort, protocol number. The article RESTflow gives some examples using the sFlow-RT REST API.

If you have any further questions, please address them to the sFlow-RT group,

Mohamed Abbas

Jun 17, 2019, 12:22:49 AM6/17/19
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Peter Phaal for your response.

Is there any other way that can help me fetch the first three packet size of a tcp connection?

Or should I need to try some other flow capture tools on Mininet ?

Thanks,
Mohamed Abbas M

Peter Phaal

Jun 17, 2019, 1:01:23 AM6/17/19
to sFlow
On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 9:22:49 PM UTC-7, Mohamed Abbas wrote:
Is there any other way that can help me fetch the first three packet size of a tcp connection?

Or should I need to try some other flow capture tools on Mininet ?

You can use tcpdump or wireshark to capture packets on Mininet.

ABBAS.FERRARI

Jun 17, 2019, 1:16:15 AM6/17/19
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info, Peter.