Paxis BB tool help

Russ

Sep 7, 2021, 1:27:41 PM9/7/21
to SF2G
My 2015 roubaix's bottom bracket is creaking worse than my knees.  Fortunately, it's probably a relatively easy fix assuming I acquire the right tools.

Anyone have a press-fit and/or a Praxis BB tool?  The press-fit can be general.  The Praxis tool is one of the following 12 tab BB wrenches:

Thanks,
Russ

Daniel Hobe

Sep 7, 2021, 4:34:39 PM9/7/21
to Russell Vernick, SF2G
I have a bearing press and bearing drift set that I've used for my Praxis BBs.  The ones I had could use the Shimano BB tool, not sure if it's the same as the Praxis one though.

--
http://sf2g.com

Daniel Hobe <ho...@gmail.com>

d chang

Sep 7, 2021, 4:59:47 PM9/7/21
to SF2G
Le mar. 7 sept. 2021 à 13:35, Daniel Hobe <ho...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> I have a bearing press and bearing drift set that I've used for my Praxis BBs.
this might be the easier? pop the bearings out of the cups rather than removing/replacing the cups?

The ones I had could use the Shimano BB tool, not sure if it's the same as the Praxis one though.

russ's links were to the oversized ones (think external bb30 vs shimano 24). i've got something that might work, but i didn't realize that even these have proliferated in number since i got mine a few years ago. it's dual-sided so it might magically work, but i'd have to check the pattern when i get home.

\p

Daniel Hobe

Sep 7, 2021, 5:23:49 PM9/7/21
to anonym...@gmail.com, SF2G
On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 1:59 PM d chang <anonym...@gmail.com> wrote:

Le mar. 7 sept. 2021 à 13:35, Daniel Hobe <ho...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> I have a bearing press and bearing drift set that I've used for my Praxis BBs.
this might be the easier? pop the bearings out of the cups rather than removing/replacing the cups?

Depends on where the squeaking is coming from.  If it's the sleeves then this won't help.  I used a Park RT-1 to remove the press in side.

The ones I had could use the Shimano BB tool, not sure if it's the same as the Praxis one though.

russ's links were to the oversized ones (think external bb30 vs shimano 24). i've got something that might work, but i didn't realize that even these have proliferated in number since i got mine a few years ago. it's dual-sided so it might magically work, but i'd have to check the pattern when i get home.

\p

--
http://sf2g.com

Russ

Sep 9, 2021, 9:46:35 AM9/9/21
to SF2G
Yeah, Praxis went for proprietary, though not sure why.  If you have their 12 tab, that would be helpful, but it's only $25 if you don't.  Going to borrow the other tools I'll need.

Russ

Sep 9, 2021, 9:50:51 AM9/9/21
to SF2G
This is good to know.  I'll order a new BB just in case.  Was hoping that the Praxis version would have better longevity than BB30, but seems like it'll be an annual maintenance thing as well.

If I could borrow the RT-1 and press next week sometime, I'd appreciate it.  Ordering a new BB today.

d chang

Sep 9, 2021, 1:40:37 PM9/9/21
to rver...@yahoo.com, SF2G
Le jeu. 9 sept. 2021 à 06:46, 'Russ' via SF2G <sf...@googlegroups.com> a écrit :
Yeah, Praxis went for proprietary, though not sure why.  If you have their 12 tab, that would be helpful, but it's only $25 if you don't.

i checked and it's dual sided 12 and 16 but for bsa30. hte pattern isn't quite right (praxis is slightly taler).

anyway, the 'creaking' from bb30 (at least for me) depended on if the creak developed or it was always there (w/ the old setup and the prxis). if both did it from the get go then you might be screwed.

if it developed then it's more likely preload causing premature wear. kitto (or maybe his buddy junker or someone more wrench-y than me) once said that these bearing setups have no preload, slowly turning the adjuster to get no play is enough, anything else is just damaging things.

\p

--
http://sf2g.com

Russell Vernick

Sep 9, 2021, 2:00:40 PM9/9/21
to d chang, SF2G
Ahh.  The BB was replaced a little over a year ago, and the creak recently developed.  From what you said, it's probably worn-out.  Expecting to replace.

Thanks everyone for the help.  As always, SF2G is a wealth of solid info and a huge P2P tool store.

Russ

Sep 24, 2021, 11:53:59 AM9/24/21
to SF2G
I've gotten the new BB and the socket tool to tighten it.  Hobe, can I borrow the press and drift set?

Anyone available for an hour to work with me and make sure I don't wreck anything while swapping out my BB?  I'll bring the beer?

Thanks,
Russ