Preferred bike mechanic in SF?

Ryan Moynihan

Jul 6, 2021, 9:22:03 PM7/6/21
to SF2G
Hi All, curious who your preferred bike mechanic is in SF. I just bought a used bike and would like to have the frame inspected for cracks. I used to go to Mojo on Divis but they've since closed. The folks at Valencia were a bit rude IMO. Any suggestions? I live in Bernal.

Ryan

Darrin Ward

Jul 6, 2021, 10:08:21 PM7/6/21
to rmoy...@gmail.com, SF2G
the sf2g list archive is full of bike shop recommendations which
admittedly is not a mechanic specific discussion.
sports basement usually comes up as a favorite.
box dog, big swingin and roaring mouse also come up as favorites.

as with most bike things, to be honest you should be able to do most
of this yourself
https://hobbybiker.com/how-to-inspect-a-bike-frame/

the material of course makes a huge difference in regards to what to do
cracks in aluminum frames basically mean the frame is done.
cracks in carbon fiber i would usually send it off to calfee.

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 6:22 PM Ryan Moynihan <rmoy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All, curious who your preferred bike mechanic is in SF. I just bought a used bike and would like to have the frame inspected for cracks. I used to go to Mojo on Divis but they've since closed. The folks at Valencia were a bit rude IMO. Any suggestions? I live in Bernal.
>
> Ryan
>
> --
> http://sf2g.com
> ---

Peter Colijn

Jul 7, 2021, 12:48:49 AM7/7/21
to Darrin Ward, rmoy...@gmail.com, SF2G
Since you live in bernal I'd suggest new wheel on Cortland. While they only sell ebikes, they service anything.

Jeffrey Tong

Jul 7, 2021, 12:07:51 PM7/7/21
to dmw...@gmail.com, rmoy...@gmail.com, SF2G
Manual bikes are just one of many micro-mobility devices that complement public transit.  Considering the SF Bay Area is full of long rolling hills, electric is the way to go for daily commutes.  They are called first/last mile gap connectors.

Considering buses have one rack at front that can only accommodate 2-3 bikes regardless of passenger capacity, electric scooters and EUC (Electric Uni-Cycles) are the way to go - every passenger can carry one on board.

However, where to find an electric bike, electric scooter, and/or EUC repair shop?

Jeffrey Tong, co-founder
Colinas Costeras
Community Wildlife Habitat

"The miracle of the coastal hills is fog"
Fog = H₂O = Life

https://www.bonfire.com/store/colinas-costeras/

Jeffrey Tong

Jul 7, 2021, 12:07:51 PM7/7/21
to rmoy...@gmail.com, SF2G
I live in San Bruno - there is no bike shop anywhere in Northern Peninsula.  I have a folding Brompton bike.  Warm Planet bikes is good for basic tune-up or parts.  But if I need proprietary parts, I use Huckleberry Bikes across the street.  Both are on Market Street ...6th or 7th St?

I used to get there by Bart, but Bart has gotten worse over the years.  I prefer Muni now.

There is a DIY bike shop called Bike Kitchen ...I think in the Mission?  They have mentors to help if you get stuck.  I think it's by membership?  Not sure.

Good luck!

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021, 18:22 Ryan Moynihan <rmoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All, curious who your preferred bike mechanic is in SF. I just bought a used bike and would like to have the frame inspected for cracks. I used to go to Mojo on Divis but they've since closed. The folks at Valencia were a bit rude IMO. Any suggestions? I live in Bernal.

Ryan

R Samuel Klatchko

Jul 7, 2021, 12:36:17 PM7/7/21
to tong.e...@gmail.com, rmoy...@gmail.com, SF2G
Huckleberry Bikes has moved, they're now at 1255 Battery St (Levi's Plaza).

Dave Wang

Jul 10, 2021, 6:16:45 PM7/10/21
to SF2G
I recently got into an accident when a SUV took a left and cut me off. I'm fine, but I'm not so sure about my Trek full carbon bike. Any suggestions on where to take it for inspection? I read somewhere a long time ago that you can't go by its exterior surface condition?

thanks,
Dave

Ken MacInnis

Jul 10, 2021, 6:52:08 PM7/10/21
to wangi...@gmail.com, SF2G
Calfee. Anyone local that’s any good would just be sending it there. These days, though, I’d just replace it if you can - frames are cheap now, if you can find one.

--
Ken MacInnis - kcm at clueful dot org - http://www.clueful.org/

Bob Ippolito

Jul 10, 2021, 7:51:46 PM7/10/21
to wangi...@gmail.com, SF2G
There’s a Trek shop in SoMa on Brannan now, you could try there

Christine Windsor

Jul 13, 2021, 2:40:21 AM7/13/21
to b...@redivi.com, wangi...@gmail.com, SF2G
I second The New Wheel on Cortland. I've had them assess a non-ebike frame that was attacked while locked. All the mechanics are pretty good there.

Ryan Moynihan

Jul 29, 2021, 1:34:40 PM7/29/21
to SF2G
I did end up stopping by the New Wheel. Staff was very friendly but due to the summer demand they are only working on e-bikes!

Decided to give Big Swingin' Cycles a call (even though it's a bit of jaunt for me). They were able to look at my bike that day, checked out the frame, bled and installed new pads for the disc breaks, fixed some chain noise, had it back within 24hrs. I also did a bike fit with them, nothing very technical (though there was a more expensive video option) but I'm pretty happy with the results. Would highly recommend!

Ryan

Jason Thorpe

Jul 29, 2021, 4:12:50 PM7/29/21
to rmoy...@gmail.com, SF2G

> On Jul 29, 2021, at 10:34 AM, Ryan Moynihan <rmoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Decided to give Big Swingin' Cycles a call (even though it's a bit of jaunt for me). They were able to look at my bike that day, checked out the frame, bled and installed new pads for the disc breaks, fixed some chain noise, had it back within 24hrs. I also did a bike fit with them, nothing very technical (though there was a more expensive video option) but I'm pretty happy with the results. Would highly recommend!

Big Swingin’ Cycles is a solid shop — I’ve bought 2 bikes from them. Brian and his crew are top shelf.

-- thorpej

Chris Ryan

Jul 29, 2021, 6:32:59 PM7/29/21
to thor...@gmail.com, rmoy...@gmail.com, SF2G
Ah, good to know about TNW! (They offer service memberships for the ebike they sell, so I expect they feel obliged to make sure they can provide service to them.)

Also filing the rec re Big Swinging…I’ve been taking my bikes over to Uri at Swell, who does a great job, but it’s always nice to have a backup!

> On Jul 29, 2021, at 4:12 PM, Jason Thorpe <thor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> --
> http://sf2g.com
> ---

Janice Tan

Jul 30, 2021, 6:30:14 PM7/30/21
to SF2G
Sorry they were busy but +1 on New Wheel - great service and staff

Ryan Moynihan

Jul 30, 2021, 6:33:25 PM7/30/21
to jani...@google.com, SF2G
Yeah, the dude I talked to was very nice. Seemed to pain him that he couldn’t help me out haha. We still chatted for like 10 mins and he recommended a couple of other places in the mission.  I may try to utilize them in the winter when it’s less busy.

Ryan

scott :)

Dec 8, 2021, 12:28:53 AM12/8/21
to SF2G
I gave big swinging cycles a try (Van Ness@vallejo)

Happy customer.

Appt via phone only - easy
Shop open on time - solid
Repairs - honest & fair price
Perceived knowledge - high
Communication - good / verbose
Sarcasm - comedic
Would return - yes
Timely - repairs done same day as stated
Estimated price - the original stated repairs as quoted, they did  sell me additional parts but explanation was acceptable
Negatives - distance far from my place but worth it.

Would give new wheel a try but they said won't service bikes not sold from new wheel

Feb 25, 2022, 6:56:00 PM2/25/22
to SF2G
I haven’t had any luck with this in the city or South Bay since the pandemic. The people at Valencia can get overwhelmed with the number of customers to staff since they are on the main bicycle freeway and I think they have had also had to deal with a lot of theft which creates that vibe…if you shop on the other side regularly there for bikes/accessories they get to know you though.

I actually drive with my bike all the way north to Mill Valley Cycleworks on Miller Ave. (they might have resold or renamed themselves during the pandemic?) They have fixed multiple bikes for years for me and done it right every time and it’s always a huge peace of mind when descending down a mountain, with no guardrail, when a fox runs right out right in front of you…

You can also get all of your shoes and luggage (all kinds) fixed right there at Tony’s place and make a day out of it.
Tutto il rosa della vita!