OT: Golden Gate Bridge fines for cyclists - starting Jan 1, 2022

Mark Kahn

Nov 25, 2021, 1:34:16 AM11/25/21
to SF2G
I expect others knew this was coming but I had missed - starting Jan 1, cyclists exceeding 15mph on the bridge will be subject to a fine (starting at $238)...

R Samuel Klatchko

Nov 25, 2021, 8:25:47 AM11/25/21
to Mark Kahn, SF2G
I wouldn't mind that so much if they also started ticketing people who looking at their phone instead of the road.

--
http://sf2g.com

Jason Thorpe

Nov 25, 2021, 9:39:15 AM11/25/21
to r.samuel...@gmail.com, Mark Kahn, SF2G

> On Nov 25, 2021, at 5:25 AM, R Samuel Klatchko <r...@moocat.org> wrote:
>
> I wouldn't mind that so much if they also started ticketing people who looking at their phone instead of the road.

…or peds on the bike side. ***RAAAAAGE***

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 10:34 PM Mark Kahn <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I expect others knew this was coming but I had missed - starting Jan 1, cyclists exceeding 15mph on the bridge will be subject to a fine (starting at $238)...
>
> https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/article/Bicyclists-face-new-speed-limit-on-the-Golden-16649507.php
>

> --
> http://sf2g.com
> ---

> http://sf2g.com
> ---

-- thorpej

Darrin Ward

Nov 25, 2021, 10:17:16 AM11/25/21
to thor...@gmail.com, Mark Kahn, SF2G, r.samuel...@gmail.com
Hrmmmmm so I am curious, the accuracy of radar based guns or signs I thought was off enough that police rarely want to pull over someone in a car unless they are going more than 5-10 mph over the speed limit?  So I am curious if they are going to try to give a ticket for going say 17?   Speeding on a bike is a weird concept to me.

John Murphy

Nov 25, 2021, 11:23:08 AM11/25/21
to 'Jason Thorpe' via SF2G

John Murphy

Nov 25, 2021, 11:24:50 AM11/25/21
to 'Jason Thorpe' via SF2G
This falls into the category of “making a statement and relying on the honesty of humans to use judgement and follow the rules” which is generally effective.

Also a  way to add grist to the mill In the event of a collision

Mark Kahn

Nov 25, 2021, 1:24:55 PM11/25/21
to SF2G
You don't understand, I'm running a marathon in 2 weeks and I need to do the EXACT route in advance

Andrew Stadler

Nov 29, 2021, 2:41:26 PM11/29/21
to mark....@gmail.com, SF2G
Mixed feelings about this one.

A couple of points in its favor:

* The end of the article mentions e-bikes. Some of those things are
just baby motorcycles, and those things are a fucking menace - they're
fast, they're heavy, and they're ridden by yahoos. They really do
need to be speed-limited, on the bridge and elsewhere. (IMO we are
facing a larger existential crisis now that we're essentially allowing
modern-day motorcycles onto bike/ped paths.)

* Yesterday while we were regrouping at the north plaza, we witnessed
a roadie being a giant asshole to tourists, who were absolutely in the
right place in the ped lane, because he couldn't stand to lose a
precious second between his Headlands descent and his SB bridge
segment. It wasn't just me, all of us were shaking our heads at his
bad behavior and how it reflected on the rest of us.

In both cases, a bit of a negative feedback loop might help.

Nathan Davis

Nov 29, 2021, 10:04:13 PM11/29/21
to sta...@gmail.com, mark....@gmail.com, SF2G
Don't get me started on eMTBs and trail access. I'm good with speed limits on the bridge, I've been buzzed by ebikes and weekend warriors alike making sketchy passes to get around the slow tourists and it's always a little annoying and or hair-raising depending on the particular antics.

-- Nathan

--
http://sf2g.com

Brett Lider

Nov 29, 2021, 10:44:29 PM11/29/21
to Nathan Davis, Andrew Stadler, Mark Kahn, SF2G
However bad we have it on the GGB, it's nothing compared to NYC, where the food delivery people ride full on internal combustion motorcycles and scooters on the bridges' pedestrian/bike paths. No consequences or enforcement. I thought the throttle ebikes we have in SF were bad. And they are. Both!

[Insert here a tie-in to a larger breakdown in social norms and social fabric. It's going to be an interesting next few decades.]

Matt Egan

Dec 3, 2021, 6:46:16 PM12/3/21
to SF2G
Crossing the bridge has been a real pain point for me the last few years. It does feel quite unsafe now. I'd say that speed is probably not really a major factor in making it seem unsafe though?

I'd say it's a 50/50 split of (1) aggressive attitudes and (2) encroachment of construction equipment onto the path -- always scared I'm going to get pushed into some open end of a tube and get my insides cored out.

Also seems like as an unintended consequence I'm going to have to keep my eyes glued on my GPS unit now to make sure I'm not exceeding 15mph, my legs don't have cruise control?

scott :)

Dec 7, 2021, 9:52:27 PM12/7/21
to SF2G
I was annoyed by the idea of 15mph and it does feel painfully slow but I did consider that a head on collision would be 30mph and I have acquiesced to just chilling on the bridge.  Also it would be interesting to understand the number of collisions but I am to lazy to research that.

Miss you on the group rides!