uneven tire mount

Russ

Oct 1, 2021, 6:32:35 PM10/1/21
to SF2G
I just replaced the front tire, and there's one section which has a bump in it where the tire seems to be catching before the bead.  In short, most of the tire looks round except in one spot where it's hugging the rim closer than the rest.

I've tried remounting several times while massaging the tire and over-inflating a little bit.  Anyone have additional tips/tricks to try?

Thanks,
Russ

Thomas Roessler

Oct 1, 2021, 6:35:40 PM10/1/21
to rver...@yahoo.com, SF2G
Are you sure the wheel isn't bent?

--
http://sf2g.com

Russell Vernick

Oct 1, 2021, 6:39:31 PM10/1/21
to Thomas Roessler, SF2G
Good thought.  The wheel seems fine, and there's a marking on the sidewall that clearly indicates the tire is hugging the rim closer in this spot.  I may try remounting the tire 90 degrees rotated and see if that helps.

Dave Blizard

Oct 1, 2021, 6:43:35 PM10/1/21
to Russell Vernick, SF2G
Try some dish soap on rim and tire in the area of issue.. that should help it slip into place.. had this with a tire recently and that did the trick for me.

Scott Crosby

Oct 2, 2021, 5:27:07 AM10/2/21
to Dave Blizard, Russell Vernick, SF2G
if it's more of an inward divot than a protrusion, which it sounds like, try an air compressor to quickly inflate to maybe 20% over operating pressure. has worked well for my tubeless installs. will make a loud noise when it pops into place. wear eye protection :)

Patrick Kitto

Oct 2, 2021, 11:55:43 AM10/2/21
to scr...@gmail.com, Dave Blizard, Russell Vernick, SF2G
Way over inflate. Keep going until your nerves are about to fry and you hear the snap of the bead. Might wanna wear ear and eye PPE just in case.

Note re:safety. According to the old shop rat that taught me to wrench, Max tire pressure is set by inflating the tire to blow off on several rim profiles, averaging them, then dividing in half for a safety factor of two. So you should be able to inflate the tire to 200% max pressure at the bench before blow off if the bead is set correctly.

So I’m this instance, if it is a standard road tire, pump as high as your floor pump will go, 150 psi or so. If the bead doesn’t snap into place while pumping, let it sit. In 5-10min you may hear the snap. It is a very anxious process, for sure.

There is also the PTS-1: which I’ve always wanted by could never justify the price.

-P

Scott Crosby

Oct 2, 2021, 12:19:45 PM10/2/21
to Patrick Kitto, Dave Blizard, Russell Vernick, SF2G
that's a ridiculous tool!

Jason Thorpe

Oct 2, 2021, 1:04:05 PM10/2/21
to Scott Crosby, Patrick Kitto, Dave Blizard, Russell Vernick, SF2G

> On Oct 2, 2021, at 9:19 AM, Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> that's a ridiculous tool!

For a minute I thought that would be a great reason to own one, but then I looked at it and now there’s coffee where my computer screen should be.

-- thorpej

Darrin Ward

Oct 2, 2021, 5:28:35 PM10/2/21
to Jason Thorpe, Scott Crosby, Patrick Kitto, Dave Blizard, Russell Vernick, SF2G
girlfriend and i struggled to put some schwalbes on her reynolds deep
dish (650b). like struggled a lot.
tried the soap trick. it was better but not fixed.
had mikes bikes mobile come out and fix something on one of my bikes
and then we gave him the wheel.
chain lube around the bead and then air compressor. that fixed the problem.
been meaning to get an air compressor.
just havent yet.
> --
> http://sf2g.com
> ---

Darrin Ward

Oct 2, 2021, 5:30:35 PM10/2/21
to Jason Thorpe, Scott Crosby, Patrick Kitto, Dave Blizard, Russell Vernick, SF2G
i should say struggled with an even tire mount.
got the tire on and kept getting an uneven tire mount which was
clearly noticeable when pumping up the tire.
the chain lube and air compressor clearly worked.

Matthew Hiller

Oct 10, 2021, 6:16:39 AM10/10/21
to SF2G
We had this problem on our tandem just replacing a punctured tube back in early September. Actually prompted us to cut our ride that day a little shorter than intended. Flat happened on a tour day-ride just outside of Dachau.

In that case making sure the tire and rim were really clean helped. The wheels had picked up rather a lot of unpaved road dirt earlier in the tour.

Didn't help that we didn't have ready access to a floor pump, just a choice of frame or mini pump.