OT: They came back again...foiled this time by a Park Tool

Christine Ryan

Aug 30, 2020, 12:25:56 PM8/30/20
to SF2G, SUPERPRO RACING, Extra Fresh
Don't let up your guards, people—the garage thieves are still around and active. Two guys tried to force open our garage door again (at 7:42 this morning—it wasn't even dark out)... luckily, I'd gotten in the habit of dropping a cassette lockring tool through an old deadbolt ring/thingy at the top of the door every night...it served its purpose this morning. (See video.)

Gotta repair the bottom of the door now...
1598798563840.mp4

Johan Beisser

Aug 30, 2020, 12:27:52 PM8/30/20
to crya...@gmail.com, Extra Fresh, SF2G, SUPERPRO RACING
Bold as hell.

--

http://sf2g.com

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sf2g/CAHTzOP7chDxnaUPuO9u%2B2%2BD2-n%3D0jNsRJQd%2BuhgKHjs16sZ22Q%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Semt form my Apqle iPhnoe 4s and gMal Mobble.

Scott Crosby

Aug 30, 2020, 1:12:48 PM8/30/20
to Johan Beisser, Christine Ryan, SF2G
damn! time to upgrade that old garage door I think. a stiff breeze might blow it away.

Maxence Nachury

Aug 30, 2020, 6:38:51 PM8/30/20
to crya...@gmail.com, SF2G, SUPERPRO RACING, Extra Fresh

Unbelievable!

Here is what I purchased when contractors started doing work at my house and often left the garage door open. Most of the time they were careful to close the door if they were working in the back of the house but it only takes one moment of intention to see bikes disappear. I spent hours researching the most secure solution so you don’t have to!

1- Chamberlain 1-1/4 Equivalent HP Belt Drive Lock Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener with Battery Backup and MAX Lifting Power

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chamberlain-1-1-4-Equivalent-HP-Belt-Drive-Lock-Wi-Fi-Garage-Door-Opener-with-Battery-Backup-and-MAX-Lifting-Power-B980/310041102

Suggestion from Patrick. Get this one for the satisfying deadbolt locking onto the wheel guide with a firm ‘thunk’ every time. WiFi connection gives alert when door is opened. Nearly silent motor. Wish I had purchased this years ago. Self-install took most of a Sunday, mostly because installer got a bad case of OCD and wanted the wires routed neatly.

2- ABUS WBA 100 Hardened Steel Floor Anchor

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B009S5YFXG/

Four deep bolts into concrete. Needs hammer drill for install. Easily fits the chain below. 16mm shackle cannot be cut by any bolt cutter.

3- Pragmasis Protector 13mm Boron Steel High Security Chain with Noose Ring

https://lockitt.com/protector-chain-13mm.html

2.5m chain can lock 3 bikes. Noose ring makes it easy to go through the floor anchor shackle. UK made because no one knows burglaries better. Chain could possibly be cut with the largest ever bolt cutter but doubtful that average thief carries such bolt cutters. The next chain size up of 16mm is probably too heavy for bikes.

4- ABUS 37/60 Granit Alloy Steel Padlock

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MSZB4G9/

Shackle opening fits the 13mm chain perfectly => impossible to pry open. I ordered 3 of them keyed alike but these are currently out of stock at Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSZBDUA/

5- Optional: SteadyRack Classic Rack

https://www.steadyrack.com/product/classic-rack/

Not a security item, just allows for maximum density of bikes and makes it possible to secure 3 bikes with one 2.5m chain.

Death to bike thieves!

Andrew Stadler

Aug 31, 2020, 12:31:46 AM8/31/20
to scrosby, Johan Beisser, Christine Ryan, SF2G
Finally had a chance to watch the video. It was heartwarming to see that they were wearing masks - so health conscious.

Andrew Stadler

Aug 31, 2020, 12:43:10 AM8/31/20
to scrosby, Johan Beisser, Christine Ryan, SF2G
Ugh. Cookies are the worst.

image.png

Scott Crosby

Aug 31, 2020, 3:03:38 PM8/31/20
to Andrew Stadler, Johan Beisser, Christine Ryan, SF2G
It was heartwarming to see that they were wearing masks - so health conscious.

isn't it a trip when you're in a bank branch these days and every single customer looks like a classic bandit? must be the best time ever to rob banks - you blend right in.

Christine is there anything you can do with that footage to make life more difficult for those scumbags? I imagine the SFPD won't do squat... maybe post faux "WANTED" posters around Bernal?

Christine Ryan

Aug 31, 2020, 3:17:56 PM8/31/20
to Scott Crosby, Andrew Stadler, Johan Beisser, SF2G
The cops always seem to be interested, though I feel like most of their effort is spent trying to find the guys right away. That said, I talked to a guy from the DA's office in January who hinted strongly that his office is working with others in the state to try to figure out where the bikes are going. (They did something similar, I believe, with the people fencing Prius catalytic converters.) That was pre-pandemic, though, so I dunno how that's gummed up things...

Johan Beisser

Aug 31, 2020, 3:38:21 PM8/31/20
to Christine Ryan, Andrew Stadler, SF2G, Scott Crosby
What I recall is that the bikes are mostly local still, after being stripped down and exchanged.

I wish I could find the full interview from a while ago of SF Bike Theft guy detailing what happened with the bikes once at the chop shop (not the PlattyJo one, a different one in a local rag).

Ted Lesher_

Aug 31, 2020, 4:14:39 PM8/31/20
to SF2G
Those guys are so brazen, so frustrating! The one guys jacket is pretty unique - i think it says "real santas wear brown" with a UPS logo. Keep an eye out for that.

Andrew Stadler

Oct 22, 2020, 1:42:02 AM10/22/20
to ted.p....@gmail.com, SF2G
Reviving this old thread....

I finally got some garage remodeling done and it's time to set up wall-mount bike racks to replace the current row of ceiling hooks.

I was very close to ordering a 4x Dero wall-mount system. But I'm realizing now that I've been turning the bikes 45° on the ceiling hooks, to reduce the amount they stick out, and the Dero will not only force me back to perpendicular, but the rack itself will actually take another inch or two that I'd prefer not to give up.

I'd go for the Dero's in a second if they had a 45° option, but they don't. So now I'm looking at the SteadyRack again, as recommended earlier in this thread.

However the main reason I've wanted to get away from the ceiling hooks is because I want something I can easily lock to. The Dero system clearly fit this.  SteadyRack includes images of running a U-lock through the downtube, front wheel, and the rack itself. But how secure is this? The tire-holder frames look pretty lightweight. If I'm running chains to wall anchors I may as well stick with the hooks.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy

Julien Merçay

Oct 22, 2020, 1:53:21 AM10/22/20
to sta...@gmail.com, ted.p....@gmail.com, SF2G
I don't live in the city, so forgive the dumb question. Isn't it better to secure the garage itself than its content?

--
http://sf2g.com

Julien

Christine Ryan