OT: MIPS helmet for long hair?

Leslie

Jul 13, 2021, 9:24:39 PM7/13/21
to SF2G
As my hair grew out during quarantine, my otherwise awesome Giro
Synthe MIPS helmet has been catching on my hair and tearing it out of
my scalp! Any recommendations for a helmet that's relatively
lightweight, MIPS (or some other high safety equivalent), and doesn't
enjoy scalping people?

Thanks!
Leslie

Bret Lobree

Jul 13, 2021, 11:02:31 PM7/13/21
to geek...@gmail.com, SF2G
Not sure if this helps or messes with MIPS, but my 11 yo daughter wears a cycling cap to protect her braids  from her helmet when she rides.

--
http://sf2g.com

Aaron Chen

Jul 14, 2021, 12:39:46 AM7/14/21
to Bret Lobree, geek...@gmail.com, SF2G
I too wear a cycling cap with my long covid hair.

--
-Aaron

Ben Kochie

Jul 14, 2021, 4:49:55 AM7/14/21
to Leslie Carr, SF2G
Huh, I've not heard of that issue with MIPS helmets.  But I usually have my hair tied back.

I've never had an issue with normal Giro or Lazer helmets.

Lorri Lee Lown -- Savvy Bike

Jul 14, 2021, 11:28:36 AM7/14/21
to SF2G

Hey Leslie!  It's definitely an issue.  I put one tiny piece of rocktape on each of the yellow MIPS buttons.  No more torn hair.  I actually learned this from one of my bike fit clients.  Genius!

Lorri

Scott Crosby

Jul 16, 2021, 12:52:25 AM7/16/21
to lo...@velogirls.com, SF2G, Dan Padgett
what does Padgett do? he has the most impressive pandemic mane of all.

--
http://sf2g.com

Dan Padgett

Jul 16, 2021, 1:27:44 AM7/16/21
to Scott Crosby, SF2G, lo...@velogirls.com
Haha!  My helmet is too old / cheap to have mips so I don’t have that issue.

Patrick Kitto

Jul 16, 2021, 7:19:28 PM7/16/21
to dumbl...@gmail.com, SF2G, Scott Crosby, lo...@velogirls.com
I’ve been having success with cycling caps. But I always wore a cap pre-CaronAfro