Forks, and forks, and forks, oh my!

Jason Thorpe

Jul 23, 2021, 3:34:07 PM7/23/21
to SF2G
Hey there sexy bike peeps...

I'm looking to make some adjustments in my bike inventory, which translates to "get one new bike to replace two". I'm looking at custom Ti + S&S couplers, and want to have clearance for 28mm tires but **rim brakes** (because nothing says "OH HELL NO!" like hydraulic lines on a travel bike, but also because I like rim brakes and you won't be changing my mind here).

The current Ultegra and Dura Ace brake calipers claim clearance for 28mm tires, and I don't expect rear tire clearance to be a problem, especially if I'm going custom. But forks seem to be a challenge, and so I'm seeking the collective wisdom of the SF2G hive mind. In a perfect world, I would be able to run a fork similar to the Enve 2.0 road fork, but with 28mm tire clearance. So far I've only found 25mm clearance to be the spec in the handful I've surveyed...

So, I ask you, oh wise riders of bicycles, if you have any knowledge and/or experience in this area.

Merci d'avance!

-- thorpej

Jason Terk

Jul 23, 2021, 3:46:51 PM7/23/21
to thor...@gmail.com, SF2G
This Lynskey fork claims clearance for 28mm tires: https://lynskeyperformance.com/lynskey-pro-road-carbon-fork-2/

On Jul 23, 2021, at 15:34, Jason Thorpe <thor...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey there sexy bike peeps...
--
http://sf2g.com

Darrin Ward

Jul 23, 2021, 3:59:56 PM7/23/21
to Jason Terk, Jason Thorpe, SF2G
yeah i wouldn't see the point of s&s coupler with hydraulic lines.
if you are already doing a custom ti, wouldn't the manufacturer do the fork too?
with the enve 2.0 you can definitely go past the 25mm spec but
probably not quite what you are wanting.
the mm is always a lie anyways just like pant size.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sf2g/0D0581B6-B2D5-41F1-9D01-9CE2062648BC%40gmail.com.

d chang

Jul 23, 2021, 4:14:41 PM7/23/21
to SF2G
Le ven. 23 juil. 2021 à 12:34, Jason Thorpe <thor...@gmail.com> a écrit :

But forks seem to be a challenge, and so I'm seeking the collective wisdom of the SF2G hive mind.  In a perfect world, I would be able to run a fork similar to the Enve 2.0 road fork, but with 28mm tire clearance.  So far I've only found 25mm clearance to be the spec in the handful I've surveyed...

w/ the trend for fatter rims you can get away w/ slightly fatter tires since it drops the height clearance too. tehre's plenty of space around a 25 conti + hed plus (i'd guesstimate at least 5mm top/sides) so i'd expect a 28 to work fine (w/ some wiggle room for whacks that a travel bike might take :-)

otoh, the cable pull hydros work pretty hydro-like w/ no-hose-run-tap bleeding.

osoh, if canit forks were still a thing, i'd go that route w/ minimotos (or whatever the road pull compatible generic name is). rim brakes w/ whatever tires you like.

\p

Peter Colijn

Jul 23, 2021, 7:12:54 PM7/23/21
to d chang, SF2G
I know you said rim brakes but I did want to point out this elegant solution to couplers w/discs:

--
http://sf2g.com

d chang

Jul 23, 2021, 7:38:40 PM7/23/21
to SF2G
Le ven. 23 juil. 2021 à 16:12, Peter Colijn <caff...@colijn.ca> a écrit :
I know you said rim brakes but I did want to point out this elegant solution to couplers w/discs:

and they spec their own forks (through a too long tale, i eneded up replacing the stolen bike w/ a little wing). there's more space on the fork than on the enve road fork w/ the same 25mm + hed setup.

\p

Jason Thorpe

Jul 23, 2021, 8:39:06 PM7/23/21
to Peter Colijn, d chang, SF2G

> On Jul 23, 2021, at 4:12 PM, Peter Colijn <caff...@colijn.ca> wrote:
>
> I know you said rim brakes but I did want to point out this elegant solution to couplers w/discs:
> https://22bicycles.com/blogs/news/introducing-our-all-new-coupler-system

Yes, I'm aware of 22's system, and it definitely is pretty, but the price of adding the couplers is nearly the base price for a frame from Dan Nelson (I haven't decided on a builder yet, but just for reference...)

-- thorpej

Darrin Ward

Jul 24, 2021, 10:50:52 AM7/24/21
to Jason Thorpe, Peter Colijn, d chang, SF2G
heh i admit i am a bit curious about the packing of said no 22 bike
with disc breaks into a box.
i am now quite accustomed to the disassembly of s&s coupler seven into
my box but man there was definitely the struggle the first ummm many
times.
admittedly part of this was figuring out how to wrench by trial and
error (not a problem thorpej would have)
but there is a definite it only really fits one way and everything
fits ummm pretty snug (and there were not instructions).
> --
> http://sf2g.com
> ---

Hyper

Jul 24, 2021, 11:43:13 AM7/24/21
to SF2G
I have a custom older  Davidson titanium with S&S couplers that run's 28mm from the 9 speed era.   The fork isn't labeled as far as I can tell.
You might see what they use for your requirements. http://www.davidsonbicycles.com/  They're in Seattle and have do primarily titanium.

Jason Thorpe

Jul 24, 2021, 12:00:24 PM7/24/21
to Darrin Ward, Peter Colijn, d chang, SF2G

> On Jul 24, 2021, at 7:50 AM, Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> heh i admit i am a bit curious about the packing of said no 22 bike
> with disc breaks into a box.
> i am now quite accustomed to the disassembly of s&s coupler seven into
> my box but man there was definitely the struggle the first ummm many
> times.

I currently own a Ritchey BreakAway, so I’m already decent at backing a break-down bike into a bag. :-)

> admittedly part of this was figuring out how to wrench by trial and
> error (not a problem thorpej would have)
> but there is a definite it only really fits one way and everything
> fits ummm pretty snug (and there were not instructions).

Ah, you have an S&S-coupled Seven? How do you like it? Seven was one of the builders I was considering…. How is yours configured?

-- thorpej

David Borowitz

Darrin Ward

Jul 24, 2021, 1:35:47 PM7/24/21
to Jason Thorpe, Peter Colijn, d chang, SF2G
i do have a seven axiom with s&s couplers from like 8-9 years ago.
originally 10 speed mechanical ultegra with rim brakes
recently (last 1.5 years) repainted and upgraded to 11 speed di2
ultegra with internal routing
using hed+ with phil woods hubs and 25mm 4 seasons (which look bigger
than 25mm but to lazy to measure)

how do i like it?
my feelings are complicated and not necessarily representative of
seven as a builder.
the frame has a fair bit of flex which makes wheels an "interesting"
read frustrating challenge.
part of this could have been the choices ari at bespoke made without
consulting me.
part of this could simply be my weight.
i do not know enough here and the rest of you know more than i.
but my heavy preference if i were to do another bike again would be to
directly deal with the builder as opposed to indirectly.

thoughts on di2 internal on s&s couplers?
i think i might actually go with sram etap were i to do it over.
there is an interesting challenge of connecting the internal wire on
the down tube while also connecting the s&s coupler at the same time.
its been ok so far because my girlfriend has been with me in hotel
rooms/airbnbs while ive been doing it recently.
but in pre covid times i would bring it alone on business trips and i
can see being a bit frustrated.
sure you should probably be doing it on the floor, etc but i try my
best not to get bike grease all over a hotel room

do i still love having it?
sure. do not regret it at all. have taken it all over the us and europe.
but i certainly have learned a lot and now have a wealth of knowledge.

d chang

Jul 30, 2021, 3:15:31 PM7/30/21
to SF2G
they're not worried about brake clearance on the track, but theycould easily ride moon bike tires (front and rear)

\p