logsene Docker agent + JSON logs problem

Raman Gupta

Jul 25, 2016, 4:30:45 PM7/25/16
to Sematext Docker Agent
Hello, I just installed the Docker sematext agent, and I am very impressed at how easy it was to start shipping my logs to Sematext. However, I have one issue:

My java-based application is configured to produce JSON logs (using https://github.com/logstash/logstash-logback-encoder), but sematext does not read these logs as JSON -- it simply treats the JSON as a string and shows it in the logsene `message` field as such.

Is this an issue with the docker agent?

Regards,
Raman

Otis Gospodnetic

Jul 25, 2016, 9:48:21 PM7/25/16
to sematext-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raman,

So you are running a Java app inside your container(s)?
If so, I suspect we could transform JSON logs and avoid the whole log event JSON ending up in the "message" field.  A colleague of mine will follow up.

Otis
Solr & Elasticsearch Consulting Support Training - http://sematext.com/

tel: +1 347 480 1610   fax: +1 718 679 9190

Raman Gupta

Jul 25, 2016, 10:20:20 PM7/25/16
to Sematext Docker Agent
Yes, its a java app, but I don't think that matters -- from the docker agent perspective its just container logs. The log output is pure json -- one json document per line.

Thanks, I look forward to the followup.

Regards,
Raman

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Raman Gupta <rocke...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, I just installed the Docker sematext agent, and I am very impressed at how easy it was to start shipping my logs to Sematext. However, I have one issue:

My java-based application is configured to produce JSON logs (using https://github.com/logstash/logstash-logback-encoder), but sematext does not read these logs as JSON -- it simply treats the JSON as a string and shows it in the logsene `message` field as such.

Is this an issue with the docker agent?

Regards,
Raman

Stefan Thies

Jul 26, 2016, 11:28:54 AM7/26/16
to Sematext Docker Agent
Hi Raman,

SDA should parse and ship line delimited JSON. Sounds like bug, we will check.
Thanks for reporting. I'll come back to you.

Stefan
Message has been deleted

nirnirle

Jun 21, 2017, 8:55:10 AM6/21/17
to Sematext Docker Agent
I have the exact same problem, is there an answer?

Otis Gospodnetic

Jun 22, 2017, 6:07:59 PM6/22/17
to Sematext Docker Agent
Hi,

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 8:55:10 AM UTC-4, nirnirle wrote:
I have the exact same problem, is there an answer?

Looks like the problem in this case was that JSON being posted was not actually JSON, but only embedded it, so not really a problem any more after you've changed that, I believe.