File extraction truncated

Scap

Jun 28, 2019, 10:35:02 AM6/28/19
to SELKS
Hello,

I just install the last version of SELKS OVF (8vCPU - 12 Go RAM, vmxnet3 VMware esxi) with suricata 5.0.0-beta1 (i also test with the stable 4 version)

I activate the extraction

I have some rules to trig .exe files or html, css, etc.... But i only get TRUNCATED for all .exe. Only the little file like a web page html is extract.

Any idea?

Kind regards

Scap

Peter Manev

Jun 28, 2019, 10:47:47 AM6/28/19
to Scap, SELKS
On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 5:35 PM Scap <scar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just install the last version of SELKS OVF (8vCPU - 12 Go RAM, vmxnet3 VMware esxi) with suricata 5.0.0-beta1 (i also test with the stable 4 version)

SELKS comes with higher version then the 5.0.0-beta - so i suppose you
have done your own install of Suri, right? (it's no problem - just
checking)

> I activate the extraction
>
> I have some rules to trig .exe files or html, css, etc.... But i only get TRUNCATED for all .exe. Only the little file like a web page html is extract.
>
> Any idea?

Depending on the file size you should adjust the following settings -
https://suricata.readthedocs.io/en/latest/file-extraction/file-extraction.html?store#settings

Thank you

> Kind regards
>
> Scap
>
> --
> IRC: Let's talk about SELKS on Freenode IRC on the #SELKS channel
> Wiki: https://github.com/StamusNetworks/SELKS/wiki
> GitHub: https://github.com/StamusNetworks/SELKS
> Blog: https://www.stamus-networks.com/theblog/
> Twitter: @StamusN
> g+: Stamus Networks
> ---

Peter Manev

Scap

Jun 28, 2019, 10:54:50 AM6/28/19
to SELKS
Hello!

I didn't check, i get the problem before build the version 4 in local and after i download the 5 from the website too.

So i got the same result for the 3 versions

Kind regards

Le vendredi 28 juin 2019 16:47:47 UTC+2, pevma a écrit :
On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 5:35 PM Scap <scar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just install the last version of SELKS OVF (8vCPU - 12 Go RAM, vmxnet3 VMware esxi) with suricata 5.0.0-beta1 (i also test with the stable 4 version)

SELKS comes with higher version then the 5.0.0-beta - so i suppose you
have done your own install of Suri, right? (it's no problem - just
checking)

> I activate the extraction
>
> I have some rules to trig .exe files or html, css, etc.... But i only get TRUNCATED for all .exe. Only the little file like a web page html is extract.
>
> Any idea?

Depending on the file size you should adjust the following settings -
https://suricata.readthedocs.io/en/latest/file-extraction/file-extraction.html?store#settings

Thank you

> Kind regards
>
> Scap
>
> --
> IRC: Let's talk about SELKS on Freenode IRC on the #SELKS channel
> Wiki: https://github.com/StamusNetworks/SELKS/wiki
> GitHub: https://github.com/StamusNetworks/SELKS
> Blog: https://www.stamus-networks.com/theblog/
> Twitter: @StamusN
> g+: Stamus Networks
> ---

Peter Manev

Jun 28, 2019, 11:05:33 AM6/28/19
to Scap, SELKS
On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 5:54 PM Scap <scar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I didn't check, i get the problem before build the version 4 in local and after i download the 5 from the website too.
>
> So i got the same result for the 3 versions

Ok - please have a look at the docs and see if it helps.
what files are you trying to extract - http/ftp/smb based ?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selks/d88a374a-9590-4c4b-a7af-a164e727e9cf%40googlegroups.com.

Damien HOTZ

Jun 28, 2019, 3:26:45 PM6/28/19
to Peter Manev, Scap, SELKS
Only .exe download by http

Scap

Jul 1, 2019, 3:35:38 AM7/1/19
to SELKS
As i was thinking, i just change the HTTP body size and now i have extracted my .exe file.

I am going to test other file, but i guess it was the problem :)

Sorry for this usuless question, i was on the suricata customisation page but i didn't see the HTTP body fields.

Kind regards

Scap
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selks/d88a374a-9590-4c4b-a7af-a164e727e9cf%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Manev

--
IRC: Let's talk about SELKS on Freenode IRC on the #SELKS channel
Wiki: https://github.com/StamusNetworks/SELKS/wiki
GitHub: https://github.com/StamusNetworks/SELKS
Blog: https://www.stamus-networks.com/theblog/
Twitter: @StamusN
g+: Stamus Networks

Peter Manev

Jul 2, 2019, 9:20:16 AM7/2/19
to Scap, SELKS
On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 10:35 AM Scap <scar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As i was thinking, i just change the HTTP body size and now i have extracted my .exe file.
>
> I am going to test other file, but i guess it was the problem :)

Yes, those would need to be adjusted.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selks/4ac920dc-57f3-4051-b10e-8887b57d4852%40googlegroups.com.

Scap

Jul 16, 2019, 8:19:39 AM7/16/19
to SELKS
Hi,

I got have truncated file now.

I can extract file like 24Ko or 512Ko

But i cannot with 4Mo or 8Mo

this is my configuration :

And an example :

Peter Manev

Jul 16, 2019, 8:27:05 AM7/16/19
to Scap, SELKS
On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 2:19 PM Scap <scar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I got have truncated file now.

I can extract file like 24Ko or 512Ko

But i cannot with 4Mo or 8Mo

you probably need to adjust - https://github.com/OISF/suricata/blob/master/suricata.yaml.in#L1347 as well.
Also check the filestore settings that are set to the appropriate number - https://github.com/OISF/suricata/blob/master/suricata.yaml.in#L471

I think those can be adjusted in the selks5-addin.yaml, save and exit then restart suri

Thank you

this is my configuration :

And an example :

--
IRC: Let's talk about SELKS on Freenode IRC on the #SELKS channel
Wiki: https://github.com/StamusNetworks/SELKS/wiki
GitHub: https://github.com/StamusNetworks/SELKS
Blog: https://www.stamus-networks.com/theblog/
Twitter: @StamusN
g+: Stamus Networks

Peter Manev

Scap

Jul 16, 2019, 8:46:58 AM7/16/19
to SELKS
Thank you for this quick answer.

I don't have the depth option in selks yaml but i have modify it in suricata.yaml
so i uncomment the # depth line.

and i am already at 0 for the second option.

but it is not working

Le mardi 16 juillet 2019 14:27:05 UTC+2, pevma a écrit :
[...]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selks/b26ad53e-c155-4d26-87c9-04bc4dc391be%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Manev

Peter Manev

Jul 16, 2019, 8:49:33 AM7/16/19
to Scap, SELKS
On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 2:47 PM Scap <scar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for this quick answer.

I don't have the depth option in selks yaml but i have modify it in suricata.yaml
so i uncomment the # depth line.

and i am already at 0 for the second option.

but it is not working

probably yaml grammar mistake.
what is on line 1317 ?

Thank you

Peter Manev

Scap

Jul 16, 2019, 8:53:02 AM7/16/19
to SELKS
yeh, but if i uncomment the line fot the depth it is not started. As you can see the error previously.

Peter Manev

Scap

Jul 16, 2019, 9:03:46 AM7/16/19
to SELKS
Ok, i find it, it was just after all this section ... line 1355

Scap

Jul 16, 2019, 9:47:14 AM7/16/19
to SELKS
With this, i manage to extract less than 5mb (not all the time) but for 8,5mb it's really not working.

Any idea?

Peter Manev

Jul 16, 2019, 10:03:19 AM7/16/19
to Scap, SELKS
On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 3:47 PM Scap <scar...@gmail.com> wrote:
With this, i manage to extract less than 5mb (not all the time) but for 8,5mb it's really not working.

Any idea?

These are very high settings for dept that can impact your performance too on live traffic as well.
What you could try to do first is to do tcpdump on the interface and open the pcap with wireshark - see if you do not have out of order/wrong chksum packets etc

Peter Manev

Scap

Jul 16, 2019, 10:44:12 AM7/16/19
to SELKS
I check the scirius interface on the Suricata dashboard and i get kernel drop ...

Peter Manev

Scap

Jul 18, 2019, 8:41:05 AM7/18/19
to SELKS
I was in pool ressources, so i guess the cpu limitation for burst didn't help.

I am out the pool and it's  working better :)

Peter Manev

Jul 18, 2019, 8:54:26 AM7/18/19
to Scap, SELKS

On 18 Jul 2019, at 13:41, Scap <scar...@gmail.com> wrote:

I was in pool ressources, so i guess the cpu limitation for burst didn't help.

I am out the pool and it's  working better :)

What does pool mean ? (Sorry not understanding )

Scarpafo Scarpafo

Jul 18, 2019, 8:55:24 AM7/18/19
to Peter Manev, SELKS
Sorry.