Maximum number of Test Agents/ Remote machined with Microsoft Test Manager

Always a student

Nov 30, 2017, 3:45:24 PM11/30/17
to Selenium Users
Hi All,

Selenium Grid has a limitation where the number of parallel tests is tied to the number of processors on the hub. Are there any such limitations with microsot Test Manger & Test Agent setup execution aswell. i do believe Test Agent doesnt work with threads but instead copys the whole code to the Test Agent and then executes. But I just wanted to know if there is any limtiation on how mancy machines I can execute my test on if I trigger the execution from a single machine by distributing the test cases on different machines.

Thanks in Advance :)

Krishnan Mahadevan

Nov 30, 2017, 8:35:25 PM11/30/17
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

I would be really curious to learn how did you conclude on this? Can you please help share with us, on some background behind this analysis?

AFAIK, the number of processors has got nothing to do with the Grid’s max value in terms of parallel tests.  The number of processors is usually a factor that folks who work on Java consider, before deducing the maximum number of threads they should be spinning off, when doing concurrent programming.

But that theory is not applicable here when it comes to the Hub, because the Hub is merely playing the role of a postman+matcher, forwarding actions to the nodes and matching new session requests to the nodes. It’s the nodes that are actually doing all the heavy lifting.

All said and done, the Node can be tweaked to control the number of concurrent sessions that can run at the same time. See here https://rationaleemotions.github.io/gridopadesham/NODE_CONFIG.html#maxsession

To get an overview and the set of customizations that are possible with the Grid, you can refer to my book/tutorial: https://rationaleemotions.github.io/gridopadesham/

Thanks & Regards

Krishnan Mahadevan

Always a student

Dec 5, 2017, 5:31:53 PM12/5/17
to Selenium Users
Thanks very much for the answer @Krishnan.

I could have been wrong in the case of the processor & Hub limitation. I got my info from here https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/selenium-users/b_xgdCAK8ac . Nice to know there isnt any such limitation as I was thinking.  However, I do want to know if I can for example, say run my tests on 50 machines triggering from a single hub and (only one session on each) by selecting the tests from Text Explorer. Is this possible?

I do know that you can change the number of sessions on a node. However, I have to have only one session on a node at a time because I use Autoit for some OS related actions and there is a good chance of unexpected clicks and actions happening on unexpected windows because of multiple parallel sessions.

I did try MTM but figured out that the on-demand Automation test execution works only with XAML builds and Microsoft has decided to get rid of them (Making our life difficult :( ). Newer versions of Visual Studio and VSTS use vNext builds and MTM setup's Test Controller doesn't recongnize it. (Source : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd380741.aspx)

I have been working hard to figure out a solution to my issue and have been stuck.  Any help would be appreciated :)

Krishnan Mahadevan

Dec 5, 2017, 9:51:30 PM12/5/17
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

If you have 50 nodes attached to your hub and if you have configured maxSession per node as 1, then yes, you should be able to do this. Grid doesn’t deal with triggering your tests in parallel. So make sure whatever testrunner you are using, can kick off 50 tests concurrently.