Selenium with Kubernetes or Docker Swarm or AWS ECS

Erick K

Jul 11, 2018, 12:03:28 AM7/11/18
to Selenium Users
I have been tasked to work with our QA team in setting up Selenium to automate testing.

The QA team would like to have a Jenkins job that launches Selenium testing after the current build.

The idea is to have Jenkins initiate the launch of Kubernetes with Selenium nodes to do the testing.

Is anyone in the community using Selenium in this way or with either Docker Swarm or ECS because I'm somewhat confused.

Thank you!

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

Jul 11, 2018, 2:31:23 AM7/11/18
to Selenium Users
Erick,

Maybe you can take a look at that.

But if your use case is just to setup a selenium execution environment for your QA team, you could consider the following:
  1. https://github.com/zalando/zalenium
  2. https://github.com/RationaleEmotions/just-ask (This is created by me)
The above two solutions basically work in almost in a similar model (wherein the Grid size upscales and downscales depending on the load), but involves at-least the hub being spun off separately. Maybe you could have your Jenkins job spin off the Hub as a pre-execution step before the tests run and have a post execution step which terminates the hub.

Depending on your test script volume you can decide which route you would like to take.

Also there are selenium grid jenkins plugin itself which basically transforms your currently available Jenkins cluster into a Grid farm as well.

I am not sure if spinning off Kubernetes by a Jenkins job is a good idea. Ideally speaking you might want to have a K8 cluster up and running and then work with the k8 APIs to upscale or downscale your nodes.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

My Technical Scribblings @ http://rationaleemotions.wordpress.com/