Selenium WebDriver with JIRA integration?

Josef M.

Sep 6, 2012, 8:00:30 AM9/6/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Is there any possibility to integrate selenium webdriver with jira?
i have read some information about confluence and selenium, but this was selenium 1

Darrell Grainger

Sep 6, 2012, 2:47:24 PM9/6/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
What kind of integration are you hoping for? I setup a framework recently where test cases would get skipped if there was an open Jira ticket associated with the test case. The scenario was:

- run test suite
- test #n fails
- file jira ticket FOO-1245
- update test case to fail if FOO-1245 is not fixed with a message saying, "Waiting for defect FOO-1245 to be closed."
- when FOO-1245 is marked as fixed, run the test case

I used the Jira Rest APIs to check the status of the defect (http://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/). They are really easy to use. So I just rolled my own code.

Edwolb

Sep 6, 2012, 4:38:13 PM9/6/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Are you referring to automating JIRA with Selenium, or do you want to update results of Selenium tests within JIRA?

If you're talking about the latter, then Selenium would have less to do with it than the test framework you choose.  For example, in TestNG you could create a test listener or reporter that used the JIRA API to update results.

suresh vemuri

Jan 8, 2016, 4:08:17 AM1/8/16
to Selenium Users
Darrell,

Our requirement is this:
We run webdriver based tests using TestNG. And we want to update the results with two parameters:
1. pass / fail
2.The reason

All these will be stored in .txt. We want to read this file and post them back to JIRA.

Or, as soon as any test failed, we immediately post it back to JIRA.
--------------
We are just beginners, so please advice in detail.

Best regards,
Suresh

Shawn Knight

Jan 9, 2016, 10:27:28 AM1/9/16
to Selenium Users
its not about selenium integrating with JIRA -- its about your framework -- I use Java/TestNG, with the use of listeners push results back to JIRA (includes error messages and screenshots) -- I created my own issue type and workflow within JIRA and each issue is a test to be updated by the test itself, including the ability to skip tests.
In addition, I have created a fully automated ticket generation process, which JIRA issues are created, assigned(to ba or dev), updated and close automatically based on some "rules".

shruthi v v

Jan 9, 2016, 9:52:04 PM1/9/16
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Very help full information u shared.could you please tel us detail steps how to do this?I also want to do this

shruthi

On 09-Jan-2016 8:58 PM, "Shawn Knight" <shawn....@lifeway.com> wrote:
its not about selenium integrating with JIRA -- its about your framework -- I use Java/TestNG, with the use of listeners push results back to JIRA (includes error messages and screenshots) -- I created my own issue type and workflow within JIRA and each issue is a test to be updated by the test itself, including the ability to skip tests.
In addition, I have created a fully automated ticket generation process, which JIRA issues are created, assigned(to ba or dev), updated and close automatically based on some "rules".

Krishnan Mahadevan

Jan 9, 2016, 9:56:34 PM1/9/16
to Selenium Users
On a high level here's what you need to do for this :
  1. You first start off by creating a Jira Project, define custom Issue types if required, define work flow/screen flow scheme etc and get Jira side cleared out.
  2. Make use of a library such as https://github.com/rcarz/jira-client to build a utility/helper that will create issues in your Jira instance as and when invoked.
  3. Build a custom TestNG listener which listens to failed tests and then invokes the utility/helper built in step (2) to report issues into Jira.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

shruthi v v

Jan 9, 2016, 10:18:31 PM1/9/16
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

I'm newbie to this.could you please explain 2 and 3 rd steps in detail.in TestNg project I need to use library or in jira?I'm didn't get those points.

shruthi

Krishnan Mahadevan

Jan 9, 2016, 10:21:23 PM1/9/16
to Selenium Users
The README documentation should help you understand how to work with the Jira client [ https://github.com/rcarz/jira-client/blob/master/README.md ]

This blog post of mine should help you get started with Listeners in TestNG : https://rationaleemotions.wordpress.com/2012/01/27/listen-to-what-i-have-to-say-about-testng-listeners/

Steps (2) and (3) are things that you do in your TestNG project because that is where your tests reside and that is what gets executed as well.

only (1) is to be done in the Jira UI.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

shruthi v v

Jan 9, 2016, 10:25:42 PM1/9/16
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

I already have jira settings ready and my TestNg project. Alright I will give a try to implement listener.thanks for information shared.

shruthi

jignesh thakre

Jan 10, 2016, 6:29:16 AM1/10/16
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Hi Shruti,

Please check post in below link,  hope it may help you.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/testlink-jira-integration-jignesh-thakare

Thanks
Jignesh Thakare

suresh vemuri

Jan 10, 2016, 8:53:32 AM1/10/16
to Selenium Users
Thanks to all who have spent time and gave suggestions!

Yes, as Shruti asked, I am also not clear about 2 and 3 steps, as we are very beginners.
We will try out those things, and keep you posted.

Suresh Vemuri

Jan 10, 2016, 9:30:14 AM1/10/16
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Krishnan,
Thanks for your time!
Our requirement is not creating/editing issues, just update the results (based on test case ID/some number).
However, I do not see the option to do so. Any advice?

Krishnan Mahadevan

Jan 10, 2016, 10:18:57 PM1/10/16
to Selenium Users
Suresh,
I believe enough information has been shared here for you to get started. The library I shared can be used for all sorts of interactions with Jira.
Since Jira integration is NOT within the scope of this forum (we would like to ensure that only Selenium/webdriver related queries are posted in this forum), I would suggest that you please whatever has been shared here, do some experiments and then take your questions to a much more generic forum such as StackOverFlow.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

Suresh Vemuri

Jan 10, 2016, 11:35:11 PM1/10/16
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your help!
Sorry, as u said, will try first and post in appropriate forums.
Best regards

Ajish Francis

May 30, 2017, 9:33:13 AM5/30/17
to Selenium Users
Hi Shruthi,

i m also a beginner in selenium , can you please me out. i also want to integrate selenium with jira and update the results in jira....

pankhuri jain

Oct 18, 2018, 3:31:57 AM10/18/18
to Selenium Users
Hi Grainger